View Full Version : Creating Recovery Discs

Oki_Man5
02-25-2006, 06:25 AM
This is the first new computer I have bought that gave me the option to copy the Recovery Media to CDs or DVDs.

It said it takes one of one type DVD and two of another type DVD, and it takes 16 CDs.

Since all I had on hand when it gave the option is CDs, I took that option for fear I might not get another option later after I buy some DVDs.

Has anyone else run onto this? If you did, how did you handle it?

LOL I have been sitting here for over an hour, and I am on disc 9 of 16.

Previously, on my wie's computer, when it would not recover from the program stored on another sector of the Hard Drive, I had to order the recovery CDs from HP, and her computer was down while we waited the couple days for them to get here, and she was not happy.

This is not a request for you to say to me that I should not have bought HP or Compaq, by the way; I happen to be very happy with HP computers, so please do not show your ignorance by suggesting such. Nor is it a solicitation for you to slam buying computers at Sam's. I apologize for this paragraph in advance, but I just wanted to let the naysayers know I am on to them.

By the way, too, Yeah! I wish I had had one of the DVDs that it could all be put on one disc, but I did not have one.

Pete

Oki_Man5
02-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Wow! What a pile of recovery cds---16 of them. What a nightmare it will be if I ever have to format and reinstall the software.

Now that it says I have successfully created the set, it has the gall to tell me I should label them. LOL It could have suggested that puny step in the beginning before i created the discs.

LOL NO! I labeled them, but still, it will be quite a lengthy chore to install 16 discs if ever I have the need.

Just a note: In case you buy a new computer with a DVD writer, buy a few writable DVDs, so if you get this option (It is a one-time chance to write the disce; I may have been able to wait before I wrote them and been able to buy a DVD to put it all on one disc, but you get to write it only once it says, so I was afraid not to write them now since I had CDs.), you will be prepared to put the recovery media on many many fewer disc.

Pete

ibda12u
02-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Ouch OkiMan, I can definatly understand the issue with a ton of cd's. Honestly Most of the recover cd's are probably misc applications that came with your pc. The actually O/S and drivers are maybe just 1 cd. What's really weird, is you have more than 10GB of stuff... that all needs to be re-installed before you even think about re-installing your "data" (documents, pics, email etc..) That's really scary.

Oki_Man5
02-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah! When I ordered those discs for my wife's computer that is near three years old, it was 11 CDs, and you are right, all the personal stuff software and the like had to go back in after that was loaded.

Problem is with an OS from a manufacturer, I do not have the nerve to try to decide which discs I might or might not need, so I just let the computer copy all 16 of them.

I looked at DVDs today to buy some of them, but there are DVD-R and DVD+R and DVD-RW and I dunno if there are more or not---seems like I saw some that looked just like the ones right beside them, but one was wrapped in blue and the other in orange, so I decided I best learn a wee tad about DVDs before I buy.

One time in the past, I had CD+R, but the computer required CD+RW or such, and it drove me crazy trying to figure out why it would not write.

ibda12u
02-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Well most PC DVD drives will write to ALL those types of DVD Media.

Your main difference between DVD-R,DVD+R and DVD-RW is DVD-RW is read write, which pretty much means you can erase the entire disc, or files/folders on it, and then rewrite.

Good luck, hopefully, you'll never need to use them :)

Oki_Man5
02-25-2006, 07:19 PM
I kinda knew about the rewrite of CD-RW, but what is the difference between CD-R and CD+R?

Midtowner
02-26-2006, 08:23 AM
I recommend that you forego that and just get a second hard drive and a RAID controller. Set up RAID 1 (mirror) so that if one hard drive goes, all you have to do is replace it and enjoy the fact that you experience zero data loss!

okcpulse
02-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Actually, there is no CD+R, only CD-R. There are two types of recordable DVDs, DVD-R/RW, and DVD+R/RW. There really isn't any difference, other than the standards were set by two different DVD forums for manufacturers. It has been known that most retail DVD+Rs write at faster speeds than DVD-Rs in an optical burner. However, DVD-R has been around longer, so it is a bit cheaper and the standard is available on all optical drives. DVD+R DL has an 8.5 GB capacity, and therefore your stack of discs shrink dramatically. If you have a DVD optical burner, you should be able to select the DVD option to create restore discs, even though it's been backed up to CD. Just remember the specs...

CD-R/RW 700 MB
DVD-/+ R/RW 4.7 GB
DVD+R 8.5 GB

I have yet to see a double layer DVD+RW, though I'm sure they are out there.

Oki_Man5
02-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Actually, I meant DVD when I said CD.

Thanks both of you.

Oki_Man5
02-26-2006, 05:07 PM
OK, The DVD drive says on the front: "Lightscribe DVD+-Writer/CD-Writer.

In the above the +- is stacked + on top of -.

I will never use the Lightscribe, so forget that.

Is it saying I can buy DVD-R or DVD+R or DVD-RW or DVD+RW and either of them will work, and basically the only thing RW does is that it can be erased and re-written?

MadMonk
02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Is it saying I can buy DVD-R or DVD+R or DVD-RW or DVD+RW and either of them will work, and basically the only thing RW does is that it can be erased and re-written?
Yes, RW stands for ReWritable. I have found that my older DVD/CD stereo equipment does not play well with the DVD+Rs so I usually choose the DVD-R when I need to record something permanently. I have a couple of DVD-RWs for saving data that I'd like to update in the future.

okcpulse
02-27-2006, 03:38 PM
If you were just doing a data backup and not an entire system recovery, tape drives are believed to be the most fault tolerant. But tape drives can be somehwhat expensive, and the cartridges are hard to find. RAID 5 is most fault tolerant, and comes with parity checking, but it is very expensive as well.

The cheapest way to go is DVD-RW, although it can be time consuming. External hard drives are also becoming popular.

Remember, you can always create restore points on Windows XP. Simply navigate to system restore by navigating to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and then select System Restore. You can then select 'create a restore point', give it a name (name or date is fine) and then click Next. Your restore point will be created. Then backup only your critical data.

If you have downloaded software (legally) for installation on your computer, you can create 1 backup copy of your installation files to CD-ROM. Remember to keep your serial numbers handy, and in a place you will not lose them.

Now, if your hard drive fails, you can do all of the above AND be sure your Windows XP Operating System CD is on hand. You should have received an OEM disc with your PC. However, PC manufacturers are getting away from enclosing the disc. You can also create 1 copy to reinstall Windows.

I am not a fan of system backups for several reasons. First, any possible infections get backed up with the entire package, as well as any flaws in registry,or even a bloated registry. Second, is consumes too many discs, as in your case. And third, there is nothing like a pristine installation of Windows XP. It allows you to employ your better computer practices you may have acquired during you previous installation.

Keep in mind Windows Vista has been completely re-engineered to contain a much more solid and robust registry. Windows Vista will also be less susceptible to bloating, saving you registry cleaning time.

For the time being, pick up a copy of the Spring 2006 Special Issue of Maximum PC, which discusses the biggest Windows XP problems and their solutions. Happy computing.