View Full Version : Eischen's Chicken in Okarche

metro
02-24-2006, 07:51 AM
If your looking for a great place off the beaten path, head just 25 mins NW of OKC and go to Eischen's Bar in Okarche. It's the oldest bar in Oklahoma, started in 1896. They didn't even start serving food until the 1960's and it was for a prize for a shuffleboard tournament. The food was so good customers demanded they serve it regularly. For those of you family's don't be afraid to go, it's more of a restaurant than a bar. The only downside is it can be smoky at times, but hey after March 1st, Oklahoma goes smoke free!! The menu is very simple it has about 5 items period, and if your not going there for the famous fried chicken and okra, you probably shouldn't be there. Bikers, car clubs and road-trippers across the world make this a pitstop as it is an icon and a must stop. It's located at 2nd and Oklahoma, just east of Highway 81 (NW Expressway). Basically from NW OKC just head west on NW Expressway for about 20 miles or so, take a right at the first stop light you come to in town. It's right there on the right, can't miss it, you should notice all the cars. Their phone number is 405-263-9939. They are open Monday through Saturday 10am-midnight but orders for their famous chicken must be in by 10pm. I recommend not going on a weekend unless your willing to wait 2 or more hours to sit and another 1-2 hours to wait for your chicken. On their best day ever they served around 700 whole chickens.

Now my review of the place. This is my 2nd time to patronize the joint. Definitely order the whole fried chicken ($9.00) and if you like fried okra, get it too ($5.00). The chicken is absolutely amazing, a must eat once in your lifetime! This is coming from a person who does not like chicken on the bone!:chef: The chicken is served on wax paper in a plain brown paper box (just like everything else). It also comes with a side of several slices of bread, dill and sweet pickle slices, and onions. It may sound weird but it is excellent compliment with the chicken, especially if you make a sandwich out of it. The chicken is amazing stand-alone too. The fried okra is excellent as well. The restaurant seats about 350 plus the bars and also has a game room and a gift shop. All I can say is I highly recommend this place, if it wasn't for the smoking, I'd give this place a 10 out of 10. After March first, I'll give it a 10 !!!:chef: :chef: :chef: :numchucks

escan
02-24-2006, 08:52 AM
I've been here a couple of times....great chicken (and I dont like chicken on the bone either Metro). It IS fun, but be prepared to wait. When I was younger, I was convinced that the chicken was only good because you waited so long in the bar that ANYTHING would taste good (ha!). Now that I've "matured" a little, I've found the chicken to still be tasty and a pickle sandwich is yummy.

My only complaint is the eating on wax paper thing with no silverware. I'm not really an "eat with your hands" sort of person, so I prefer a little more in that area. However, I have friends who would revolt if they brought in plates, so to each their own.

Either way, give it a try...if you like fried chicken, you won't regret it.

Midtowner
02-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Don't forget they have some of the coldest beer around.

MadMonk
02-24-2006, 09:55 AM
I've been there many times. At one point I wasnt' sure if it was the drinkin' or the waitin' that made the chicken taste so good. I got my answer when a friend brought me some take-out chicken from there and it was still just as good. It's just great chicken. It has a very unique flavor that I have not found anywhere else and a widely diverse group of people in attendance. :)

asta2
02-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Lot's of great old stories about that place. There used to be bar in the basement that ran during the prohibition times. They used to say the chicken was so good because they never changed the grease. That is until it burned down. That story even made USA Today. My husband is from Okarche and we still go on Sat afternoons at least once a month.

okiemom
02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Eischen's Chicken, one of my favorite places to eat. The first time I saw the place, I almost refused to go in. Partly because it looks ratty and partly because our kids were with us. In definitely looks like a bar, even with the expansion.
Fortunately, we did go in and our family has been hooked on the chicken, bread, onion and pickle meal since then.
I even like the wax paper, cardboard boxes and lack of untensils.

As far as the smoking is concerned, since I smoke like a chimney, it doesn't bother me.

Between 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM is a good time to go if want to miss the crowd.

By the way, does anyone know for sure they're going non-smoking?

roboticbrad
02-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Everytime I go to visit my grandparents (they live in enid) they always want to go to eischen's and eat chicken.

Jon27
01-19-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry, and I have a feeling I'm going to piss A LOT of people off. I wanted to see if anyone else agrees. I went to Eischen's today for the first time. I wasn't impressed......

oneforone
01-20-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm sorry, and I have a feeling I'm going to piss A LOT of people off. I wanted to see if anyone else agrees. I went to Eischen's today for the first time. I wasn't impressed......

That all depends on what you condsider good fried chicken. If KFC, Church's or Popeyes is what you call good fried chicken or you're a health nut, I can see why you do not like Eischen's.

betts
01-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Everybody has their own idea of what constitutes great fried chicken. All I can say is that when they bring it out and it's so hot you can hardly touch it, I feel like I'm in fried chicken nirvana. To me, I've not found fried chicken I like better. But, if you like chicken that's more seasoned, has a thicker crust or a variety of different things, you might like others better. For me, just thinking about eating Eischen's chicken makes me hungry.

tuck
01-20-2008, 11:23 AM
I think it is the entire Eischen's experience that makes it all so good. The atmosphere/building history, price, no plates (china or paper), cold beer, jukebox, chicken and onions/pickles/white bread. I have to say that without the all of these components, Eishens just wouldn't be the same. I love the place!!

Jon27
01-20-2008, 01:44 PM
No, the chicken was good! Probably the best I've had. I liked the whole coke in a can thing. I like eating with my fingers, and plastic. We ordered some of their nachos also, and they were pretty good. I like that kind of atmosphere. It's just, with Eischen's having the history it does, how about serving some mashed potatoes, slaw, or something of the sort. How about something other than sliced up stale Rainbo bread. Maybe I was just expecting something different. Again though, as far as based on the fried chicken only, it was wonderful!

bandnerd
01-20-2008, 02:30 PM
If they gave you slaw or potatoes, then you'd need utensils and a plate. I doubt they want to change the wax paper thing. I don't blame them. Much less washing.

I like the kind of barbaric fare and how you eat it. Good times. It's been way too long. Maybe next weekend I can convince the hubby to take me there.

Easy180
01-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Wife and I and a couple of friends are likely headed there saturday night (weather permitting) so I may run into you bandnerd

I will be the white guy eating chicken somewhere in there :tiphat:

Can't beat the chicken and even with 5 or 6 beers it only puts you out around $30

Anyone know if you can order all white meat?...Only downside to Eischen's is it's mostly dark

tuck
01-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Anyone know if you can order all white meat?...Only downside to Eischen's is it's mostly dark

Its actually equal amounts dark/white. A whole bird is 8 pieces - 2 breast/ 2 wing & 2 leg/ 2 thigh. I could eat the skin with the bread, onions & pickles all night long.

Easy180
01-21-2008, 09:48 AM
I guess the only part of the chicken I consider white is the breast...Wifey gets the other so the rest of the bird gets left behind in the tray...Great how it is, but it would be even better if I could pay more to get another breast

metro
01-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Wife and I and a couple of friends are likely headed there saturday night (weather permitting) so I may run into you bandnerd

I will be the white guy eating chicken somewhere in there :tiphat:

Can't beat the chicken and even with 5 or 6 beers it only puts you out around $30

Be prepared to wait 2 hours or more if you're going on a Saturday night.:fighting4

6string79
02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I love this place. The only downside is the onions..as tasty as they are..they sure stick up your breath so bad that you don't want to be kissing your date or having your date kissing you! lol

metro
02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Not exactly a romantic date restaurant kind of place though...... Just take some mints with you.

6string79
02-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Not exactly a romantic date restaurant kind of place though...... Just take some mints with you.

i was thinking more like toothbrush, floss, LISTERINE, and CHEWING GUM lol funny thing is..I took a girl there on a romantic date HAHHAHAH

Turanacus
02-06-2008, 07:40 PM
i ate at eishen's once, i threw-up in the parking lot before I left. i thought it was pretty bad. i think my food was fried in some really old grease. will not go back.

bandnerd
02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I could totally go for Eischan's for a romantic date ;) But I'm just like that.

NikonNurse
02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Now I'm hungry...thanks alot.

Easy180
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I could totally go for Eischan's for a romantic date ;) But I'm just like that.

Nothing says romance like a free for all battle for tables

Went last sat night...Way surprised we nabbed a table within 15 minutes, but I did enjoy the two 20 something girls holding 12 spots on 2 tables...They held those tables for a solid 30 minutes getting some nasty stares

Two pitchers of Bud Light, nachos, two birds and okra for $30 a couple including tip...One of the best values out there

6string79
02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Nothing says romance like a free for all battle for tables

Went last sat night...Way surprised we nabbed a table within 15 minutes, but I did enjoy the two 20 something girls holding 12 spots on 2 tables...They held those tables for a solid 30 minutes getting some nasty stares

Two pitchers of Bud Light, nachos, two birds and okra for $30 a couple including tip...One of the best values out there

haha I'll have to second that. I always forget the wait is terrible to get a table. But it's nice once you're sitting down and tearin' it up and doing work on them chickens. :biggrin: