View Full Version : Taco Del Mar coming to OKC

metro
02-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Don't know how many of you caught the JR last week. Taco Del Mar is expanding into Oklahoma. 16 stores are planned for the OKC Metro. You can go to their website at www.tacodelmar.com

Jack
02-23-2006, 12:46 PM
All we need. Another fast food mexican place, to add the Taco Bell's, Bueno's, Cabanas, etc.

Jack
02-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Looks pretty pricey to me:

http://www.tacodelmar.com/images/food/menu-combo.jpg

http://www.tacodelmar.com/images/food/menu-tacos.jpg

http://www.tacodelmar.com/images/food/menu-burritos.jpg

http://www.tacodelmar.com/images/food/menu-other.jpg

escan
02-23-2006, 01:20 PM
It's just more in line with Taca Cabana than Taco Bell.

HOT ROD
02-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Taco Del Mar is more Taqueria (sp) style of restaurant vs. Americanized Taco Bell. For example, dont expect a fried shell with a taco - nope, its true mexican with a corn (or flour) soft tortilla with the fixins on top.

You all will love it.

Plus, they tend to be much more healthy - with Fish tacos, Shrimp tacos, and respective burritos; as well as chicken, beef (shredded and ground I believe), and pork and veg/vegan options to chose from. The tortillas are steamed right as you order then they place everything on top! - just like Taqueria!

As for the price, once again - this aint Taco Bell! The portion sizes are astronomical! For example, dont expect to eat a burrito during one sitting for lunch! the Jumbo is more than filling, is healthy, and is very very tasty!

In fact, Taco Del Mar is our preferred mexican fast food place out here! (Seattle) Enjoy OKC!

John
02-23-2006, 02:20 PM
It adds another dining option, which is never a bad thing.

...also, it will tide some people over until Chipotle comes into our market.

BFizzy
02-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Oklahoma finally gets fish tacos. This is great news. I've been waiting for a Baja Fresh but this will do.

Patrick
02-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Pablano Grill has had fish tacos for sometime now.

metro
02-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah there is quite a bit of places with fish tacos around here.

Patrick
02-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I had my first fish taco in Lihue, Kauai, Hawaii, last summer. I must say....fish tacos are da bomb!

ibda12u
02-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Hmm.. I always thought fish tacos were the punch line to a joke...
I guess I learn something new everyday.

BFizzy
02-24-2006, 01:39 PM
I knew I was going to get replies about Oklahoma not having fish tacos. What I meant was Baja-style fish tacos with soft corn tortillas.

I know that Pearls, Bahama Breeze, Saturn Grill, Poblano Grill, Taco San Pedro and many other restaurants have fish tacos. In my opinion, Taco San Pedro and the other authentic-style taqerias in South OKC are the only places that even come close to a real fish taco.

Now, I can order Fish Tacos in English at a drive-thru and I am excited about that.

fromdust
02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Now, I can order Fish Tacos in English at a drive-thru and I am excited about that.

order it in english!? at a drive thru? :)

metro
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Has anyone seen any of their stores pop up yet? It's been 2 years.

Pete
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
According to their website, they have a MWC location:

Midwest City
29th & Douglas
9015 SE 29th Street
Midwest City, OK 73130
(405)610-7722

solitude
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Their website lists one location open at 29th and Douglas in Midwest City.

Martin
07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
the location at sw 119th & western has come and gone. it wasn't all that popular... nor was it that great, imo.

the smoke shack barbecue that replaced it is pretty good, though! -M

Drake
07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
The one at SE 29th & Doulgas is still there. They had one on Air Depot for awhile, but it closed. I was told a subway franchisee (sp?) owns them (well one I guess).

Its not bad. I don't think I would tell you to make a special trip just to eat there , but if you are ever out this way its not bad. Its right off I-40.

Qdoba opening up a 1/2 mile down the street probably didn't help.

OKCMallen
07-25-2008, 04:05 PM
All we need. Another fast food mexican place, to add the Taco Bell's, Bueno's, Cabanas, etc.

No need to pi$$ in the punchbowl, but then again, it looks like you've been banned!

Watson410
07-25-2008, 05:47 PM
They had one in MWC on Air Depot between 15th and 29th last year.. It closed down, then they opened the one on 29th and Douglas. I've ate there a couple of times and i honestly don't think it's that great... For sure nothing to get excited about or drive across the city to get it.

Bostonfan
08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Sorry to bring this thread up again. Noticed a month or so ago where Taco Del Mar on 29th closed. Went by there a couple of weeks ago and the sign said they were remodeling. Then went by there a couple of days ago and nothing was on the sign. Just wondering if anyone knew what was going on. As for the food there, nothing great, but I found it to be a nice alternative to Taco Bell.

Jesseda
08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
i use to love them in the bay area.. but on its web site it doesnt show a oklahoma location, it just says coming soon?

soonerguru
08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
My MWC friend said it was fairly hideous.

Jesseda
08-03-2009, 01:55 PM
then it must be franchised out to someone in okc, because theywhere really good in the bay area, but bay area knows the mexican food compared to okc, everything here is tex-mex mixed with santa fe style, okc is the only place where some of the restaurants actually use sweet peas as a filler for tamales.. at taco del mar the pork mole tacos are good...

soonerguru
08-03-2009, 02:24 PM
everything here is tex-mex mixed with santa fe style...

No offense, but there are no "Santa Fe-style" places anywhere in OKC. I know. I've looked. Northern New Mexico cuisine is my personal favorite, but with the passing of the Border Crossing, it's not to be found around here.

Cafe Ole in Tulsa is an OK version, but not great.

We also don't have very good Tex-Mex, though I agree our Mexi is inspired by Tex-Mex.

Personally, I love San Diego-style tacos and burritos. I used to eat them whenever I visited there and found them very good. In fact, I love Cali-Mex in general.

Cali-Mex, however, is no more "authentic" than Tex-Mex. It is regional to mostly northern Mexico and Baja. Mexico is a large country with many numerous regional cuisines, many that Americans would not recognize.

I personally didn't eat at Taco Del Mar and cannot vouch for its authenticity or quality. However, the MWC friend who told me it sucked is MEXICAN and grew up in San Antonio.

Trust me, I know Mexican cuisine -- and its American nuances and variations.

Jesseda
08-03-2009, 02:34 PM
soonerguru, in san diego did you ever go to old town to eat at the outside mexican restaurant, i was so excited that they had menudo on the menu daily. That is some good cali-mexican food

soonerguru
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
No, I did not, but I thoroughly enjoyed the burrito and taco trucks around town.

Platemaker
08-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Agreed... especially a taco place founded in S E A T T L E !?! Not this fisrt place I think of when I think of tacos.

linze
08-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I heard that Taco Del Mar has three locations here. 9015 SE 29th St, Oklahoma City, 1908 S Air Depot Blvd, Oklahoma City, and 801 SW 119th St, Oklahoma City. Are these the same as everyone is talking about???? Or something totally different?

Also Taco Del Mar announced it will be giving away free tacos in honor of Global Forgiveness Day. Guests can go to the Taco Del Mar Web site and send customized e-cards to friends and loved ones, redeemable for a free taco on August 27.

The free forgiveness taco is filled with cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo, and a choice of fish, pork, chicken, or beef.

Linze!

Martin
08-19-2009, 04:06 PM
801 sw 119th st

this location came in and went out... that's the spot where smoke shack barbecue on sw 119th & western is now... in the same shopping center as lemongrass & papa murphy's.

-M

Drake
08-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Both of the other locations have closed as well.

bluedogok
08-19-2009, 08:56 PM
There were a few down here in Austin as well that closed up after about a year.