View Full Version : Mahogony Steakhouse

MadMonk
02-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Anyone been here yet? I've got reservations for Saturday night. Any recommendations? My favorite cut is the rib-eye but I'm open to suggestions. :hungry:

*Edit - should read Mahogany Steakhouse. Why can't I edit the title of my thread?!?*

MadMonk
02-26-2006, 11:07 PM
:hungry:
Here's my review:

This place is definitely top 5 (maybe top 3) on my list of favorites. It’s pretty expensive, but since the wife and I rarely dine out these days, we splurged a little.

The decor is very nice, upscale and comfortable. There is, as you can imagine, a lot of mahogany wood trim with nice leather chairs and fine linens on the table. Lighting is subdued, but not too dark. You can easily recognize a person from across the room.

We arrived early so the evening started out with cocktails in the bar while we waited on our reserved table to become available. The small-ish bar area is really nice with a granite-like bar surface and a great selection of spirits. The bartenders are very friendly and were working very hard to please everyone. It was a very busy night. Sooner than I expected, I was summoned personally (no silly light-up "pager") and we were seated in a little room with about four other couples. It was very intimate without being "too close".

Our servers greeted us (there were two) and noticing that we were wearing dark clothing offered to exchange our linen napkins for dark ones so that we would not get lint on our clothing. It was a nice touch and I can't recall that being done for me anywhere else.

To start things off we decided on the "lobster cargot" for an appetizer (a special and not on the menu). Its basically lobster tail meat in a garlic-butter sauce with white cheese melted all over the top (I forget the kind). It was absolutely delicious. Being a fan of lobster I knew I'd like it, but even my wife - who normally does not care for lobster - loved it.

Everything on the menu is "a la carte". Both of use chose the 12oz filet cooked medium with a salad and baked potato along with a nice bottle of Pino Noir. My salad was a nice Caesar with large, intact leaves of romaine. My wife chose the house salad. Both salads were rather large and with the fresh bread that was served, we were in danger of become very full before our main entree arrived.

While we were awaiting the steaks, one of the servers came by and offered to exchange our wine glasses to one that was recommended by the winemaker. Now, I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means and he took the time to explain how, with this wine there are really noticeable differences when served in different glasses. We spent the next few minutes comparing the wine in the different glasses and chatting with the server. I really did notice a difference - the wine seemed a little fruitier and the oak taste in the wine was more pronounced with the new glass. My wife and I very much enjoyed this part of the experience and we appreciated the server taking so much time with us.

Not long after, our steaks came sizzling on a hot plate with nothing but a little kosher salt and pepper to accompany them. The server asked us to cut the steaks down the middle to ensure they were cooked to our satisfaction - even producing little LED lights to illuminate the meat better for us. They were perfectly cooked and tender as could be. The steak knife was relegated to holding down the tablecloth as it was not needed. ;) If you've never had prime beef, you owe it to youself to try it at least once, or maybe dozens of times. There's a real difference.

For desert we split a crème brulée with fresh blackberries and strawberries. It was a rich and creamy version of heaven.

Finally, the bill arrived. :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I knew what I was getting into. The pricing on the menus is perfectly clear - except for the appetizer. I had estimated in my head around $150 for dinner. Maybe a little more because we chose a good bottle of wine and had desert. The grand total came to $184 and change, not including tip - mainly due to the unexpected cost of the appetizer - $23. :doh: Even though this is no small expense at my income level, we really did enjoy ourselves and that's what our night was about; and as I said, we only do this on rare occasions - maybe twice a year dining out at this level. :D

I really am impressed by this place though. The service was phenomenal, the food was outstanding and the whole experience was a real treat. I look forward to going back.

metro
02-27-2006, 09:53 AM
MadMonk,

Thanks for your review of this place. I've heard nothing but good about it. I knew the service and atmosphere would be top notch. How was the pricing of the "a la carte" menu?

MadMonk
02-27-2006, 12:00 PM
The pricing is not too extreme, we just got a little carried away. ;)

The 12oz filet was $34.95 with the strip and the ribeye slightly lower (maybe $28.95?). "Market" was listed on lobster of course. They have a few chicken and fish dishes as well. There were quite a few unlisted specials that they told us about before ordering - a bone-in filet and a porterhouse were two that I can remember.

I believe the baked potato was $5.95 and the salad was $6.95. Desert was around the $6-7 range.

BTW, my wife would like to report that the "apple-tinis" are excellent as well. :D

metro
02-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the detailed info!

escan
03-13-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm going this Friday with a few other couples. Will report back on our experience with a group.

Karried
03-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Oh! That sounds awesome! It does remind me of Ruth Chris.. a little pricey but you are paying for ambience and service and a wonderful experience .. we went with three other couples in Vegas and two of us only had salads and we didn't drink wine but the bill came to over $600....

It was great though, melt in your mouth steaks..

You only live once and these memories will last a long time, I'm all for treating yourself and rewarding yourselves once in awhile.. what's the point of working a lifetime with no enjoyment or reward?

I'm so hungry after reading that review.. very nice. thanks!

escan
03-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I visited Mahogany on Friday with two other couples and a single. Our reservations were at 7 and we were seated no more than 5 minutes later. The restaurant was attractive, with lots and lots of mahogany. As they did for MadMonk, they also switched out the napkins for those of us who were wearing black...I love this!

We started out with the appetizer platter...great calamari and shrimp. I believe all of us had the 8 oz. filet. I can't speak for everyone, but my steak was EXCELLENT! It was cooked perfectly (just a smidge over medium rare-no one ever gets this right, even when I ask for it this way) and was melt in your mouth delicious. I ordered the sauteed spinach and the mushrooms as sides and they were huge. My husband and I split them and still didn't finish. The spinach was cooked with red onion and my only complaint about the entire meal was that they used a bit too much olive oil on the spinach. We had an excellent bottle of pinot noir, using the correct glasses. The waitstaff was attentive, without being intrusive and all of us had a great experience---with a table of 7 that's highly unusual. I will def. return again.

Final bill....$142 + tip.

Karried
03-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Great review - and that is a reasonable bill for that many people .. it sounds wonderful. Thanks!

escan
03-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Oops! I meant $142 for my husband and I. We all had seperate bills...also not a problem for the staff.

John
03-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Oops! I meant $142 for my husband and I. We all had seperate bills...also not a problem for the staff.

Still very, very inexpensive for an appetizer, 2 steaks, 2 sides, bottle of wine.

I still haven't been to ours yet, but have dined at the one in Tulsa about 10 times. Never a complaint!