View Full Version : Banning Funeral Protests

Keith
02-21-2006, 06:26 PM
This bill is a step in the right direction. A funeral is no place for a protesters, and I am happy to see the Oklahoma House pass this type of legislation. Disrespecting an American Veteran should be a crime.

State House votes to ban funeral protests

By Tim Talley
By The Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY - Boisterous protests at funerals, like those conducted by members of a Kansas church, would be banned under legislation passed Tuesday in the Oklahoma House.

Supporters, including Disabled American Veterans, said the bill and a similar measure passed by the state Senate last week will prevent demonstrations by members of a Topeka, Kan., church who claim soldiers are being struck down by God for fighting for a country that harbors homosexuals.

"This will protect our soldiers from disrespectful behavior," said Danny Broyles, a Vietnam veteran and spokesman for DAV.

Anti-gay protests have been conducted at military funerals in Oklahoma and other states by members of the Westboro Baptist Church, who chant and carry signs thanking God for improvised explosive devices, a major killer of soldiers in Iraq.

Broyles and other supporters have said the protests defile the memory of soldiers who sacrifice their lives for their country.

"You've got a bereaved family who's just lost a loved one. And you want to do something like that? And you call yourself a Christian?" Broyles said.

The bill's author, Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore, a retired U.S. Army chaplain, dedicated the measure to the memories of three Oklahoma soldiers kill in Iraq or Afghanistan:

_Spc. Jared D. Hartley, who was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq and whose burial on July 23 was marred protesters.

_Staff Sgt. Lance Michael Chase, who died on Jan. 23 after a mine exploded near his tank while on patrol in Baghdad.

_Staff Sgt. John Doles, who died on Sept. 30 in an ambush in southern Afghanistan. Members of the Kansas church also demonstrated at his funeral.

At least 14 states are considering laws aimed at the funeral protesters. The House measure would restrict picketing and demonstrations within 500 feet of a cemetery, church or home where a funeral or memorial service is being conducted and prohibits protests within two hours before or after a funeral service.

Violations would be a misdemeanor punishable by 60 days in jail.

Wesselhoft has said lawyers for the Kansas church have warned that they will challenge the bill if it is signed into law. But he said there is broad public support for restricting the funeral demonstrations.

If it becomes law, the measure will apply to all groups, not just Westboro Baptist Church protesters but members of other churches or groups who may want to demonstrate in support of a deceased soldier's sacrifice, officials said.
The bill, which passed 99-1, now goes to the Senate for consideration.

okieopus
02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
While I think protesting at anyone's funeral, and I certainly am no fan of Fred Phelps or his church. This is very slippery slope we have to be careful about.

Phelps is doing this to gain attention. He has also promissed to fight these laws in court. As horrible as it is I would be surprised if these laws are upheld.

Freedom of speech means that everyone's opinions can be shared even the ones we don't agree with.

I don't think the law will pass constitutional muster. Unless, they can argue that this somehow equates to hate speech or the standard "time, place, and manner" arguments

Patrick
02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
I agree Keith. I'm usually in favor of protesting, but not at a funeral. This is the family's last chance to spend with their lost loved one, regardless of who they are. I think it should be a private time between the family/friends and the loved one.

Faith
02-22-2006, 03:54 PM
People that would have the nerve to protest at a funeral are very sick people.

Patrick
02-22-2006, 04:14 PM
I think all funerals should be made private events. Personally, I don't feel the public should be there, unless they're invited. That's my thoughts, anyways.

GrandMaMa
03-23-2006, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=Keith]This bill is a step in the right direction. A funeral is no place for a protesters, and I am happy to see the Oklahoma House pass this type of legislation. Disrespecting an American Veteran should be a crime.

By Tim Talley
By The Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY - Boisterous protests at funerals, like those conducted by members of a Kansas church, would be banned under legislation passed Tuesday in the Oklahoma House.

Supporters, including Disabled American Veterans, said the bill and a similar measure passed by the state Senate last week will prevent demonstrations by members of a Topeka, Kan., church who claim soldiers are being struck down by God for fighting for a country that harbors homosexuals.

"This will protect our soldiers from disrespectful behavior," said Danny Broyles, a Vietnam veteran and spokesman for DAV.

Anti-gay protests have been conducted at military funerals in Oklahoma and other states by members of the Westboro Baptist Church, who chant and carry signs thanking God for improvised explosive devices, a major killer of soldiers in Iraq.

Broyles and other supporters have said the protests defile the memory of soldiers who sacrifice their lives for their country.

"You've got a bereaved family who's just lost a loved one. And you want to do something like that? And you call yourself a Christian?" Broyles said.

The bill's author, Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore, a retired U.S. Army chaplain, dedicated the measure to the memories of three Oklahoma soldiers kill in Iraq or Afghanistan:

_Spc. Jared D. Hartley, who was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq and whose burial on July 23 was marred protesters.

_Staff Sgt. Lance Michael Chase, who died on Jan. 23 after a mine exploded near his tank while on patrol in Baghdad.

_Staff Sgt. John Doles, who died on Sept. 30 in an ambush in southern Afghanistan. Members of the Kansas church also demonstrated at his funeral.

At least 14 states are considering laws aimed at the funeral protesters. The House measure would restrict picketing and demonstrations within 500 feet of a cemetery, church or home where a funeral or memorial service is being conducted and prohibits protests within two hours before or after a funeral service.

Wesselhoft has said lawyers for the Kansas church have warned that they will challenge the bill if it is signed into law. But he said there is broad public support for restricting the funeral demonstrations.

If it becomes law, the measure will apply to all groups, not just Westboro Baptist Church protesters but members of other churches or groups who may want to demonstrate in support of a deceased soldier's sacrifice, officials said.
The bill, which passed 99-1, now goes to the Senate for consideration.[/QUOTE

I am so totally in agreement with this post..what has happened to showing respect, not to mention those who have fallen in combat?

GrandMaMa
04-23-2006, 05:12 PM
This bill is a step in the right direction. A funeral is no place for a protesters, and I am happy to see the Oklahoma House pass this type of legislation. Disrespecting an American Veteran should be a crime.

By Tim Talley
By The Associated Press

The bill, which passed 99-1, now goes to the Senate for consideration.

I agree completely. And nothing can stop peaceful, supportive to the family gatherings outside of the churh [because there was no more room in the church] right? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it the first time on TV...such meanness, and from folks claiming to be showing God's love.

CaptainAmerica
04-25-2006, 06:14 PM
It makes me very sad that these people would do something such as this.

shadow713
04-25-2006, 07:16 PM
funeral protests should be banned and should be a crime. it is an abonination against those who may have served our country in a war such as the war in Iraq. those men or women gave their life for this battle to end terrorism and it is mocking our entire effort. now as for other people having a funeral i wouldnt know why people would be protesting there unless they got the wrong address.:respect:

CaptainAmerica
04-26-2006, 11:50 AM
what do you mean by this?

now as for other people having a funeral i wouldnt know why people would be protesting there unless they got the wrong address.

shadow713
04-26-2006, 02:49 PM
it was a oke. regular funerals with protests were what i am getting at. its unusual.

PhilTLL
04-27-2006, 11:16 AM
The way to deal with willful, hateful ignorance is to shine so bright a light on it that it can be seen for what it is - not to ban it. The "slippery slope" that an above poster referenced leads to silliness like imprisoning Holocaust deniers (see: much of Europe).

workman45
05-07-2006, 07:52 AM
You do indeed have the right to protest, but your right stops where it infringes my rights. The right of a family to peacefully conduct services of whatever sort for their deceased trumps any protest. I consider anyone protesting at a funeral to be violating the rights of the deceased's family and therefore whole heartitly support this new law.