View Full Version : Age kids should leave the nest?

Patrick
02-17-2006, 01:09 PM
At what age do you think kids should leave the nest? Does the fact that they're in college play a factor?

Faith
02-17-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't know a specific age that I would place on my children. Of course I want them to be responsible adults one day. But I would let them stay in my house until they completed college or until they were ready to go out on their own.

Then again they are only 5 and 1 so I might change my mind when they finish high-school!

Keith
02-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I don't know a specific age that I would place on my children. Of course I want them to be responsible adults one day. But I would let them stay in my house until they completed college or until they were ready to go out on their own.

Then again they are only 5 and 1 so I might change my mind when they finish high-school!
My son is 18 years old, and a senior in high school this year. When he graduates, he plans on going to a junior college. As long as he is in college and is doing well, he can live with us as long as he needs to....within reason.

My son has a blog that he posts on, and he posted something on his 18th birthday that made me chuckle a little. His mom and I have always warned him about getting out on his own, and the responsibilities that he will have. As a teenager, he is always saying that he is ready to move out, however, his post on his blog says differently. He wrote that he was excited that he turned 18 years old, but that he was scared spitless at the same time. He has worked at the same place for two years now, however, he doesn't make much money. He admitted, in his blog, that he is not ready to move out and be on his own.

First of all, he can't afford it, and secondly, he admits he isn't ready for that much responsibility. He is very intelligent and an excellent student, so we want the best for him. Of course, when he gets out of his teen years, he will probably move out. By then, he will have a better understanding on what it takes to survive in the outside world.

By then, he will have already learned about house payments, bills, car payments, car insurance, and many other things that hit us grownups in life.

You know, it is going to be very rough on his mom and I when he does leave the roost. I know some parents can't wait for their kids to move out, but this is one dad who will be sad the day my son moves out.

Jack
02-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Kids need to hit the road when they graduate from high school.

dirtrider73068
02-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Kids need to hit the road when they graduate from high school.

No not really, being like that and forceing a kid out of the home forces the kid to make hurried and bad judgments. I myself was in that spot in my home, I told my mother as soon as I could I out and was not coming back, told her that if I had to drop out of school and find a job, I would do whatever it takes. Reason being was because of my father and just like you his attitude of when you are old enough you need to move out. My kids can stay with me as long as they need to as long as they are working, supporting them selfs and not me paying for there things or wants, they can live with me. Now if they get lazy that will be different. If they have a job and are makeing enough to support there bills and habits then by all means after high school if they want to move out then they can, if they can't make then mine will have a open door and I will let them back home. My kids will not be left out to defend them selfs or be left on the streets, no kids should be treated that way, maybe why there or more bad kids now then use to be.

mranderson
02-18-2006, 06:37 AM
If they make a reasonable effort to support themselves in a manor which is not poverty level, and can not, then I would much rather have them stay if they wanted. However, if they are making a decent living and can support themselves in a healthy, safe environment, then I have a door I will show you. Age 18 at the youngest.

Jack
02-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Forcing the kids out when they graduate high school teaches them responsibility, instead of allowing them to continue to suck off mommy and daddy, and let mommy and daddy handle their problems. Folks, these are supposed to be adults, not kids.

Jack
02-18-2006, 08:07 PM
If they make a reasonable effort to support themselves in a manor which is not poverty level, and can not, then I would much rather have them stay if they wanted. However, if they are making a decent living and can support themselves in a healthy, safe environment, then I have a door I will show you. Age 18 at the youngest.

Think I read somewhere that you were still living under your mommy and daddy's roof. And that you were looking forward to some money from your folks. Is that correct? How old are you?

MadMonk
02-18-2006, 08:59 PM
I feel the same way that Keith does. They are welcome in my house any time. I just couldn't turn them away.

dirtrider73068
02-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Forcing the kids out when they graduate high school teaches them responsibility, instead of allowing them to continue to suck off mommy and daddy, and let mommy and daddy handle their problems. Folks, these are supposed to be adults, not kids.

So you are saying you would not help your kid if they had a problem you would let them find out the hard way how to handle it? My kids will not be sucking off me and I will not handle there problems, I will help with there problems, and help guide them.

Jack
02-18-2006, 09:20 PM
I feel the same way that Keith does. They are welcome in my house any time. I just couldn't turn them away.

I guess they're welcome when they're 65 as well. Boy, that's teaching responsiblity. There's something about forcing a young adult to be independent and learn to take care of his/her own needs.

Jack
02-18-2006, 09:20 PM
So you are saying you would not help your kid if they had a problem you would let them find out the hard way how to handle it? My kids will not be sucking off me and I will not handle there problems, I will help with there problems, and help guide them.

I will help them help themselves. Otherwise, they'll never learn responsbility.

dirtrider73068
02-18-2006, 09:25 PM
I will help them help themselves. Otherwise, they'll never learn responsbility.

From your post your sounding like you wouldn't even help them out and just leave them. I am not saying totally supporting them, I agree with you on teaching them resposneablity, but they still need some guideing along.

Jack
02-18-2006, 09:41 PM
From your post your sounding like you wouldn't even help them out and just leave them. I am not saying totally supporting them, I agree with you on teaching them resposneablity, but they still need some guideing along.

I will give them advice. I won't bail them out of their $25,000 maxed out credit card. Make sense?

dirtrider73068
02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I will give them advice. I won't bail them out of their $25,000 maxed out credit card. Make sense?

I am with you on that I won't bail them out of a big debt.

mranderson
02-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Think I read somewhere that you were still living under your mommy and daddy's roof. And that you were looking forward to some money from your folks. Is that correct? How old are you?

No. That is NOT correct. First, they owned the house until I bought it. Second. I no longer live in it. Just own it. Third. So my dad wants to give me the retirement the business community is depriving me of. So sue me. At least I will not be eating cat food when I am 80.

MadMonk
02-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I guess they're welcome when they're 65 as well. Boy, that's teaching responsiblity. There's something about forcing a young adult to be independent and learn to take care of his/her own needs.
Well, If I'm still alive when they are 65, they can come stay with me if they need to. I didn't say they could live continuously with me forever. I said I couldn't turn them away if they need help. Way to oversimplify things Jack. Someday when you are old enough to have kids, you might understand.