View Full Version : Wow!! Marlins Baseball To Oklahoma City?

Pages : [1] 2

writerranger
02-16-2006, 11:39 AM
http://newsok.com/article/1763315/?template=home/main

Major League Baseball to Oklahoma City????

I knew Loria well when he had the 89ers. It truly would not surprise me if somehow this is pulled off. What would happen to Bricktown Ballpark? Where could a major league park be built in OKC? This is huge news. Preliminary or not - Loria's former ties to the city make it exciting.

By the way, I thought this was a big enough story to not bury it in sports.

floater
02-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Holy cow!! The same AP article is on SI.com. When it rains, it pours!

I'll set aside thoughts on politics, viability and its impact on the Hornets, and just say Holy Cow, Batman!

Jack
02-16-2006, 12:47 PM
I don't think MLB could survive here. You have to have 40,000+ fans at 75 some games. No way that could happen. Plus we don't have a facility for it. Let's just stick with the NBA or NHL for now.

BDP
02-16-2006, 12:59 PM
You have to have 40,000+ fans at 75 some games.

I'm skeptical, too, but only 4 teams averaged more than 40k in attendance last year and half averaged below 30k:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

I much more fired up about an NBA team and, at this point, I'd only buy season tickets for that, but the two sports don't compete with each other much and it would be a fun diversion in the summer. The thing about the MLB that sucks is that it's very top heavy and the smaller markets usually aren't that competitive on the field.

Pete
02-16-2006, 01:07 PM
I no longer am skeptical of such ideas as I once maintained OKC could never support an NBA team. :)

writerranger
02-16-2006, 01:17 PM
You need more fans, but the fan base for baseball is much larger with MLB than for the NBA. Tickets are also scaled down to a much lower dollar figure. You really can't compare the two in fan support. Look at the 2005 Marlins schedule:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/schedules/2005/marlins/
Now, think of the families involved with baseball at every level (little league beginning at 4 years old, etc.). With teams like the Phillies, Dodgers, Reds, Mets, Cubs playing in Oklahoma City - there would be huge support. It's not an either/or for MLB and the NBA. In my opinion, they both would have huge corporate and fan support.

Jack
02-16-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't think we're a large enough market to support both.

roboticbrad
02-16-2006, 01:51 PM
That would be awesome if OKC got an MLB team. Do you think they would just add on to the bricktown ballpark?

swake
02-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Um, OKC is not ready for MLB, you really don't want this, the team if you got the team it would never win and the only likely outcome is failure, MLB would be iffy for a city twice OKC's size.

It's all about market size, MLB has no real revenue sharing, no real salary cap, no real national TV deal. The money a team gets is local, mostly from TV sales, even if the Marlins were able to break even, they could never generate the revenue to be able compete with the big market teams, this is why the Marlins, and Royals, and Pirates and others are struggling. MLB baseball has big issues, big market teams make big money and spend tons of money on all the best players, mid market teams play the edges and hope to build using the minors, the small market teams, and OKC would be the very smallest, by a pretty wide margin, get the scraps.

MLB is in need of a major overhaul, but the big market teams don't want that to happen and are willing to fight, and the players don't want it to happen, and they are willing to fight too. So there is an impasse that leaves small market teams to fail on the field and lose money.

metro
02-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Look who's spearheading the effort Mary Fallin - enough said

writerranger
02-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Look who's spearheading the effort Mary Fallin - enough said
What does that have to do with it? Mary Fallin is the Lt. Governor - an office that has increasingly become one of spearheading economic development. What's the point?

This time last year, I know you were campaigning for the Bethany City Council. ( http://echo.snu.edu/page.php?article=462 ) Did you get on the wrong side of the Lt. Governor then?

Luke
02-16-2006, 05:25 PM
The Bricktown Ballpark, I've heard, was built to be expandable to MLB specifications. That was awhile back when it first opened that I heard that.

Plus, I'm not so high on poo-poo-ing the idea of an MLB team so quickly. After seeing all the poo-poo-ing of the idea of an NBA team and then the subsequent success thereof, I'm thinking OKC may be able to hold its own in the major leagues.

brianinok
02-16-2006, 05:30 PM
This is good news no matter the outcome. At the very least, it puts a fire under the Hornets and/or the NBA to give us something. [Assuming the Hornets/NBA stay,] I seriously doubt another pro team would look at OKC for another 5-10 years. What this really does is a few things:

1) Give us another "Plan B" incase the Hornets leave and the NBA does not place someone else here.

2) Light a fire under the Hornets/NBA.

3) Get us on the map of another pro league. It seems the worst the Marlins/MLB would say to us is, "we don't think your ready." We will no longer be laughed out of the room like 10 years ago (or even pre-Hornets).

HOT ROD
02-16-2006, 06:04 PM
^^

Agree totally.

I totally think OKC could support NBA and MLB. The seasons do not compete and MLB would have ticket prices very similar to the AAA.

why would OKC need to have a larger stadium? Wouldnt it be better to expand the stadium to say 28,000 - adding outfield and suite while revamping the infield bleachers and chairs into boxes and - more suites!

And the corporate support is there, as we know. As is the rest of the state and region. OKC can add to its attractions, hospitality offerings, and infrastructure. This may even help lure corporations as they would find our "quality of life" impeccable (sp).

I think this could totally happen and would definitely put OKC (and OK) on the major leagues (regardless of the Barkley commentary).

Continue the Renaissance!!!

HOT ROD
02-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Then there would definitely be "plenty" to do (all of the time) in Oklahoma City!

soonerguru
02-16-2006, 09:19 PM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. There isn't the corporate support here for both NBA and baseball. We don't have a park suitable. We have no proof that we would even have the fan support.

This is an example of Ol' Mary trying to pull a Mick. Ain't gonna happen.

I would have been impressed with her if she handled it all pimp like Cornett did, putting together the money people to make it happen. Without them, it's a campaign ploy. Some call it grandstanding. Dumb.

soonerguru
02-16-2006, 09:46 PM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. There isn't the corporate support here for both NBA and baseball. We don't have a park suitable. We have no proof that we would even have the fan support.

This is an example of Ol' Mary trying to pull a Mick. Ain't gonna happen.

I would have been impressed with her if she handled it all pimp like Cornett did, putting together the money people to make it happen. Without them, it's a campaign ploy. Some call it grandstanding. Dumb.

John
02-16-2006, 10:18 PM
A perfect location for the ballpark would be the eyesore that is the cotton mill co-op thing. Downtown skyline in the outfield, on the banks of the Oklahoma River.

Oklahoma is definately a baseball state.

It is a compliment to our city that they're even talking to us.

I think I've heard the 'it would never work/no corporate base' argument before. ;)

Midtowner
02-17-2006, 07:03 AM
Unless Fallin has already seen data from feasibility studies, or something of comparative value, she wouldn't be taken seriously.

My opion on this, however, is that OKC will now become a bargaining/bluffing tool throughout the country. In other words, "Give us X, or we move to OKC." In such situations, the team indeed gets their X, the governmental entity has some way of justifying it to the people (in other states, the people pay attention to things like that), and everyone is quite happy thinking they have either averted a disasterous move of their home team or they have come into possession of new facilities or cash-money.

metro
02-17-2006, 07:30 AM
What does that have to do with it? Mary Fallin is the Lt. Governor - an office that has increasingly become one of spearheading economic development. What's the point?

This time last year, I know you were campaigning for the Bethany City Council. ( http://echo.snu.edu/page.php?article=462 ) Did you get on the wrong side of the Lt. Governor then?

writeranger, no hard feelings or crossing of paths with Mary Fallin or any other public figure. Municipal races are non-partisan. With the low profile a Bethany election gets; it probably wasn't even on Mary's radar. I do have my opinions about her though just like everyone else. I'm merely stating simply what soonerguru said about it simply being political grandstanding and riding the coat-tails of Cornett's success with the NBA. After all its election year and she's running for a tough seat. If it was at all feasible, Cornett, Bennett and others at the Oklahoma City level would be on board as well. It's a political stunt, however as some mentioned it can still be a good thing as it will draw all kinds of national attention to us.

Jack
02-17-2006, 07:43 AM
May Fallin is so uninformed she can't even see the writing on the wall. The Marlins are only using us, San Antonio, etc. to get their new ballpark built in Miami.

okieopus
02-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Okay as much as I would like to see a MLB team here I think it's important to realize that this is a calculated publicity stunt from Fallin. She is showboating for her upcoming race for congress.

All she did was write a letter to the team. Lot's of cities do that. She just happened to issue a press release about it and the media bit. Metro is right.

Patrick
02-17-2006, 08:39 AM
I agree with several comments here. We can get 20,000 out to see 40 or so NBA games, or 60,000 to see a handful of football games, but getting 30,000-40,000 fans out every night for 70+ games.....I just can't see that happening in OKC. Plus, we don't even have the facility for it. I hate to sound anti-major league, but let's stick with one major league sport at a time here. We have the facility for NBA or NHL. Let's go with that for now. If our city continues to grow, then maybe we can discuss building a MLB or NFL stadium later.

floater
02-17-2006, 08:42 AM
I still think it's flattering being a candidate for any major professional team. Remember, we used to be on the same plane as the Hidalgos, Quad Cities, and Yakimas.

But I agree, it's not going to happen. I don't want it to happen. The only team I want is the Hornets. It's like we've grown together, they as a team and us as city. Not even another NBA team will do.

The Hornets reflect the city so well. It's not glamorous, but it is humble and hard working. It doesn't get much respect from the others. They are young and hungry. Character seems to be a requirement on the team.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-17-2006, 09:48 AM
As much as I would personally love to see Major Leauge here, I don't see it as fesable at the moment. Maybe wait a couple of years with the Hornets (or whatever team actually decides to come/stay here, as I agree with Midtowner and other about the leverage thing). As far as the NHL, that's a pipe dream and not because of OKC, but the league.

metro
02-17-2006, 01:42 PM
You can email Fallin about her political stunt at : info@maryfallin.org

BDP
02-17-2006, 04:13 PM
I think Swake make some great points. The MLB is not a great product for smaller markets like the NBA is. I'm not saying it is an either/or thing. The truth is, they don't really translate that well. They are run very differently and it's much easier for the larger markets to muscle the smaller ones around. I know that Oklahoma City can win a championship in the NBA. I'm not sure we would come close in baseball.

But, I like the effort. One thing these processes can net us is a concrete list of needs. Anytime we have any organization look at the market for any reason, we stand to at least gain some good knowledge of where we stand and what more can be done to improve the market or its quality of life. The only way to get better is to play with the big boys and rookies, like OKC, need all the PT they can get.

OKCNDN
02-17-2006, 04:37 PM
MLB would be great to have. It would give many something to do year-round in OKC area. I think OKC could support a MLB team but the team may have to be the only pro team in the area. I don't know if OKC could support two pro teams and still have the Yarddawgs/Blazers/Redhawks/Sooners/Cowboys.

I think just trying to get a franchise is the right thing to do. At least just sound interested. The most they can do is say "no, thanks Oklahoma City". Ask away and see what they say you need to improve on. I think that if the Hornets do leave then OKC is one of the top targets for re-location for pro sports teams and whoever is the first team to locate here may very well hit the long-term jackpot. I just hope that it's not hockey. I don't like hockey.

windowphobe
02-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I've got to side with swake on these things: until MLB gets something resembling a salary cap, small markets will always be at a serious disadvantage.

Not that the NBA's cap is all that tight - most of the teams are over it by at least a few bucks - but it's not a function of how big your potential audience is: the Bulls are spending only about $47 million this season, only slightly more than the Hornets (who are 28th out of 30 in salary expenses).

swake
02-17-2006, 09:12 PM
NFL and NBA are the ways to go for Oklahoma now, MLB and NHL have to fix internal problems before either city in this state should stick it's neck out for them.

Luke
02-17-2006, 11:20 PM
I'd love to see an NFL team here.

mranderson
02-18-2006, 06:28 AM
I'd love to see an NFL team here.

Give it time and you will. NFL is looking at us for expansion. Los Angeles has the next one, however.

On the Marlins. I wish them luck, however, I do have to vote nay on this one. Our baseball stadium rarely sells out as it is. Who knows, maybe major league vs. minor leauge is the key and we can fill the stadium. Yes. We need to expand it. It can be expanded to seat around 30,000. Small by MLB stadards, but about right for the area. Combine that with low ticket prices and a killer televsiion contract, and we may have a chance. Not as good as the NBA and NFL, however. Those are sure shots.

Luke
02-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, expanding the Bricktown Ballpark to 30,000 or 40,000 would be great. It's better than having two ballparks, especially if the idea is that they both be downtown. I'd say that much land could be better used for business, retail and housing.

TheImmortal
02-18-2006, 10:54 AM
I personally like the idea of building on the river. I say one day in the future when we need new facilities, a sports complex should be built on the river with an MLB, NFL, and NBA/NHL arena consolidated in the same general area. And possibly MLS if that ever comes to fruition, but I believe Tulsa is only in the running this year and Edmond is out. Anyways, then if a new Frontier City/Whitewater Bay were built it could also be in the same area. I think it would be awsome. I dont know about the theme park idea but I know Mayor Mick Cornett has spoken more than a few times about wanting to develop a sports complex in OKC. But either way I do think MLB would thrive here. Well I am just rambling now, I am out.

Bobby H
02-18-2006, 03:54 PM
First thing, I think Oklahoma City could support pro sports teams in the NBA, NHL, MLB and NFL. Even Major League Soccer could work as well.

The Oklahoma City metro area has over 1 million people. The city is in a very centralized location within the state. At least another 1.5 million residents outside Oklahoma City metro (Tulsa in particular) live within little more than an hour's driving distance. The potential draw on population is already better than what is available in a good number of markets that already have MLB and NFL teams.

I believe this is one reason why the Hornets have been doing so well on attendance. Oklahoma is a large and unexploited market, simply because much of the rest of the nation hasn't taken this area seriously.

Oklahoma City's chances of gaining a Major League Baseball team, such as the Marlins, are still slim. It does help that the owner has some previous ties to the area. However, competing markets -the giant San Antonio/Austin market in particular- may be able to offer deals too good to resist.

Ultimately, that's the big deal breaker on bringing NFL and MLB teams to a new location. The local taxpayers get to foot the bill on a new stadium, and such projects can cost $250 million or more. To make matters worse (pro football stadiums are really bad about this) many local citizens are priced out of being able to attend the games. Critics argue stadium deals are often huge taxpayer give-aways to a bunch of rich people.

If Oklahoma City taxpayers, or taxpayers state-wide, have to foot the bill for a new Major League Baseball stadium in order to attract the Marlins then the deal will not happen. If private interests want to step in (particularly some really rich oil business interests) then the deal would be a distinct possibility.

Regardless of that outcome, OKC's Ford Center is already a great place to host both NBA and NHL games.

Jack
02-18-2006, 07:16 PM
I think all this market will ever be able to support is one major league team. Folks, you have to remember, we have OU and OSU to support as well.

mranderson
02-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I think all this market will ever be able to support is one major league team. Folks, you have to remember, we have OU and OSU to support as well.

I seem to remember some people saying Oklahoma City will never have a major league franchise. Humm. Think about that.

Jack
02-18-2006, 08:10 PM
I think we need to take one team at a time here. Quit jumping the gun. And get Geroge Shinn some pickles.

Bobby H
02-18-2006, 09:06 PM

NCAA college football has its own built in customer base. I live in Lawton and know lots of people here who drive to OU and OSU games, and Lawton is hardly the most affluent community. Those two schools draw spectators, typically alumni, state-wide. I strongly doubt pro sports teams in Oklahoma City will negatively affect OU and OSU ticket sales at all. The only thing that will make OU and OSU ticket sales drop at all is if either team starts losing all of their games (not likely to happen either).

Nuclear_2525
02-18-2006, 09:06 PM

College and professional sports fill different niches. Some people could care less about OU and OSU because they went to other colleges in state or out, and don't care about either team. For those people, having a professional team is what they want. I think it is stupid to say that a professional team is going to detract from college or vice versa.

As far as saying that this market will never be able to support more than one team is probably the the most ignorant thing you've ever said in a post, and thats coming from some pretty ignorant things. Nobody thought Charlotte would be able to support a team, they landed the Hornets, the city began to grow because it became a major league city, through sports and other things as well, and now look at Charlotte. The same goes for Portland. As OKC continues to grow and with the success of the Hornets, I think it will only be a matter of time before another professional sport heads this way.

Jack
02-18-2006, 09:18 PM
What teams does Portland have besides the Blazers?

Bobby H
02-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Cincinnati isn't any bigger a city than OKC, yet it has pro football and pro baseball teams. Milwaukee is around the same size of city as OKC, it has the Brewers MLB team and Green Bay has the Packers NFL team just up I-43 from there. Green Bay is kind of unique in that the city owns the NFL team.

Of course, the OKC area needs to accomplish the first step and land a pro sports team permanently. The Hornets may stay as long as the city supports them. Landing another sports league team is another matter. The transformation of downtown OKC may help in that. In the long run I think chances are better OKC will gain an NFL team than a major league baseball team due to the popularity of football in the state. But I could be wrong. I'll be supportive over whatever teams come to the Sooner State.

Luke
02-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Are there any private groups or any local leaders actvely pursuing an NFL team for OKC?

Nuclear_2525
02-19-2006, 11:01 AM
What teams does Portland have besides the Blazers?

They have the Blazers now, but the Marlins are also looking at them for relocation, and the NFL has already moved them to either the top or the 2nd city for relocation of a team.

Jack
02-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Are there any private groups or any local leaders actvely pursuing an NFL team for OKC?

No. If we had a facility, that might be a different story. Local leaders are currently most interested in NBA and NHL since we have the facility in place.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-20-2006, 11:25 AM
They have the Blazers now, but the Marlins are also looking at them for relocation, and the NFL has already moved them to either the top or the 2nd city for relocation of a team.Portland is also in conversations for the relocation of the Pittsburgh Penguins if they do not get a new arena. Portland is one of those "We'll move there if you don't do this for us" sites, just as San Antonio and I believe OKC is/will become.

Boston
02-20-2006, 12:05 PM
The penguins are going to either Kansas City or Houston I believe. I haven't heard of a portland ownership at this point. Honestly, I think the OKC still needs to grow a bit more to add the MLB. Lots of MLB franchises are in trouble (Twins, Marlins, Royals etc) and I don't think you'd want to toy with one with the leagues current state. A capped league with revenue sharing may be more suitable for you guys in the long run (I.E NFL, NHL, and NBA which I'm not sure if they have revenue sharing).

Just my 0.02 cents.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-21-2006, 10:08 AM
The penguins are going to either Kansas City or Houston I believe. I haven't heard of a portland ownership at this point....
The front-running city in that is Kansas City (Due to the new stadium and one of the old Whalers owners among the canidates for buying the team), but different sources I've read in many Canadian sports news sites have mentioned Portland, as well as Winnipeg, Las Vegas, and Houston. I do agree that Portland is a long shot in that though.

Boston
02-21-2006, 11:39 AM
The front-running city in that is Kansas City (Due to the new stadium and one of the old Whalers owners among the canidates for buying the team), but different sources I've read in many Canadian sports news sites have mentioned Portland, as well as Winnipeg, Las Vegas, and Houston. I do agree that Portland is a long shot in that though.

The whalers owner won't nah. The AEG group will get someone to own it since they already own the kings and the new arena being built in KC. I would like them go to portland because that area of the country has a rich hockey history and there has been no team put in that neck of the woods since the early 1900's. Winnipeg has a really small arena (15,000) and I doubt they'll move there, they also have no ownership group. The only places I've read about that have all the pieces in place are Houston (owner of the rockets has been wanting a team for years) and KC.

HOT ROD
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Ya, we root for the NHL Vancouver Canucks in this neck of the woods (Pac NW).

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-21-2006, 04:44 PM
The whalers owner won't nah. The AEG group will get someone to own it since they already own the kings and the new arena being built in KC. I would like them go to portland because that area of the country has a rich hockey history and there has been no team put in that neck of the woods since the early 1900's. Winnipeg has a really small arena (15,000) and I doubt they'll move there, they also have no ownership group. The only places I've read about that have all the pieces in place are Houston (owner of the rockets has been wanting a team for years) and KC.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Pittsburgh/2006/01/20/1403347-sun.html (Story on Winnipeg)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/penguins/2006-02-17-arena-issue_x.htm (Mentions KC, Portland, and Houston)

Just a couple of stories on this, but from I'm reading, they are trying desperately to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Ya, we root for the NHL Vancouver Canucks in this neck of the woods (Pac NW).My condolences. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/21.gif

Boston
02-21-2006, 07:12 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Pittsburgh/2006/01/20/1403347-sun.html (Story on Winnipeg)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/penguins/2006-02-17-arena-issue_x.htm (Mentions KC, Portland, and Houston)

Just a couple of stories on this, but from I'm reading, they are trying desperately to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh.

There are people in CT who believe that they'll get the whalers back, I really doubt it, but hey why rain on someone elses parade right?

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-22-2006, 09:32 AM
There are people in CT who believe that they'll get the whalers back, I really doubt it, but hey why rain on someone elses parade right?
Either way, I believe this is the most hockey talk that this place has ever had! http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/21.gif (http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/21.gif)

Jack
02-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Right now Mary Fallin is trying to do anything and everything to help her cause in the race for District 5 Rep. Even if it means doing ridiculous, pointless things like this. She has an uphill battle.

metro
02-23-2006, 07:58 AM
an article from the Oklahoman:

MLB in OKC just a dream

By Berry Tramel
The Oklahoman

The notion of major-league baseball in Oklahoma City is quite romantic. Opening Day at Bricktown. A warm June night with the Cardinals in town. A Sunday afternoon in late September with just a hint of autumn in the air.
Close your eyes and dream. That's your only ticket to the bigs in Oklahoma.

The NBA's success at the Ford Center does not mean the same thing could happen on the diamond. All sports are not created equal.

Here's a rudimentary primer on how the three major sports work.

NFL: Franchises make money without selling a ticket. The network TV package is so lucrative, local revenues are just gravy.

NBA: Arena revenues are paramount. Television packages are a nice supplement, but you've got to make money at the gate.

Baseball: All hands on deck. Fill up the stadium and sell your TV rights at a premium price.

Uh-oh, OKC.

Let's say we have a suitable ballpark -- which we don't, in case no one has noticed. You would have to triple the size of the Brick, get it in the 39,000-seat range, to make it major-league viable, but that's not architecturally feasible.

But give us a flyer on the ballpark and still we can't handle baseball. Simply put, we don't have enough TV sets.

Oklahoma City is the nation's 45th-largest television market, with 655,000 TV homes. Kansas City, which is dying on the vine as a baseball city, is the 31st-biggest market, with 903,000 TV homes.

Yet Kansas City is avalanched in baseball revenue. The Royals have taken to the streets, asking alms for the poor, because their television contract is so meager compared to the big boys.

The Yankees' annual rights fees for TV and radio generate close to $100 million a year. The Royals' don't approach $10 million.

Thus Kansas City starts far behind the Yanks and Red Sox and other franchises that can count on big local revenues.

Oklahoma City's TV package would be even worse than KC's. Even if we nightly filled a 39,000-seat stadium, which we wouldn't, baseball in OKC would be doomed to fail.

mranderson
02-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Right now Mary Fallin is trying to do anything and everything to help her cause in the race for District 5 Rep. Even if it means doing ridiculous, pointless things like this. She has an uphill battle.

Mary is not doing this to win an election. She will be elected. It will be a runoff between her and Denise Bode for the Republican nomination, however, Mary will win the Congressional seat. She is doing this because she truly feels Oklahoma can grow, and just maybe MLB will be an answer. If not, at least we get a lot of press coverage we would not get had it not been for the Hornets.

Midtowner
02-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Mary is not doing this to win an election. She will be elected. It will be a runoff between her and Denise Bode for the Republican nomination, however, Mary will win the Congressional seat. She is doing this because she truly feels Oklahoma can grow, and just maybe MLB will be an answer. If not, at least we get a lot of press coverage we would not get had it not been for the Hornets.

Mary is not doing this to win an election. That statement assumes that she's doing it for another purpose.

So what you're saying is that she's stupid? In other words, she actually thinks that OKC can put 30,000 butts in the seats for 80 or so games each season with a so-so team?

I find it doubtful.

I'd like to hope that she's not just going 'out on a limb,' but that she or someone has actually conducted a study to determine whether MLB is feasible. I doubt it though as the results of that study would have been published alongside the solicitation to the Marlins.

At this juncture, this is just not realistic -- so what end does her press conference serve? The response of the Marlins organization was the best --ever--. They essentially said that they have been contacted by many people about moves.

This means that the standard behavior is to make that contact, but not hold a press conference. She made contact, then held a press conference.

To illustrate:

A) Marlins state that many have contacted them. Fact is that many have and none have had press conferences.

B) Mary contacts the organization (through an unsolicited communication), then holds a press conference. The press apparently has nothing to do with her CD5 campaign, it's just because we the people have a right to know.

Mary has never been that great a politician. She's only where she is because no one cares who the Lieutenant Governor is and Mary's from all the right places. As to what she's done in that office, the list is very, very short.

How are you getting from A to B??

metro
02-23-2006, 08:31 AM

Midtowner, I find your counterpoints to mranderson very possible.

mranderson if you think Fallin's not doing this for a political stunt, your only fooling yourself. I've even talked with many politicians in the same party and they all agree as well. mranderson how do you know she will win the election? we haven't even had primarys yet. If your thinking she won't mix personal motivations with politics I would have to agree to disagree. Anyone who has been in politics that long whether they've accomplished major milestones or not (that's another issue entirely) they are going to have personal motivations in mind to some degree. The main reason she is running for District 5 is she knows she can't win the governors seat, hence her deciding not to run for it after it was considered.

Midtowner has a point. Do you and/or Mary actually think that because of an unsolicited letter to a former OKC buddy who manages the Marlins can actually guarantee to support the Marlins like the investors are with the Hornets? It's a completely different ballgame so to speak, and an area I don't think she has any expertise in unlike Cornett and Bennett who do have expertise in these areas. At a minimum we would need to fill 40,000 seats for 75+ games (more than double the Hornets games and capacity) and have a lucrative TV contract just to break even. The MLB is struggling on a national level in much bigger markets. I wish it were feasible but realistically its not for another 10 years or so and until the league reforms. Not to mention we don't have a stadium in place. I don't want to talk to downgrading on any candidate but it is a

POLITICAL STUNT !!!!

On another note, can anyone list her major accomplishments?

writerranger
02-23-2006, 11:40 AM
After giving this some thought, I have to throw my lot in with those who say it's all about the congressional campaign.