View Full Version : good Chinese food????

metro
02-16-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to find a good Chinese food place. Seems like most of them have gone downhill lately. I don't want PF Changs or Pei Wei good but I want a local place that uses good fresh ingredients instead of who knows what. I noticed alot of restaurants are switching to pork fried rice too. I've tried Diamond Express, Speedy Wok, China House and China Court lately and the one downtown by the Memorial I think it's a China House too. Any local owned shops with good cuts of meat? Not mystery meat?

BFizzy
02-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Dot Wo and Lido are pretty good, from what I remember.

kahloist
02-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Grand House is the best Chinese in Oklahoma City. It's just north of NW 23rd St. on Classen. TRY IT!

kahloist
02-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Grand House on NW 23rd and Classen.. just north of a lil bit

metro
02-17-2006, 07:57 AM
I ate at Grand House last week, you can see my review just a few posts down. I had the Dim Sum though, are you referring to their true Chinese food? I'm talking about like General Tso Chicken and fried rice or sweet and sour chicken and fried rice type Chinese. Either way let me know. I'm not big into Dim Sum or Pho

OKellie
05-17-2007, 09:48 PM
I particularly like Kit's. It is located on S. Eastern and N.E. 12th Street in Moore (SE corner). I love their chicken Lo-mein, sesame chicken, fry rice, spring rolls and beef with brocoli. They always have fresh food. If you go during buffet hours and there are running low on something you want, they will prepare it fresh.

metro
05-18-2007, 07:13 AM
I'm very pleased with China Chef, in the Underground. It's been there for years and the lunch buffet is like $4.50 or $5.00. They use quality ingredients and not mystery meat, which is a huge plus in my book.

Martin
05-18-2007, 07:17 AM
lemongrass on sw 119th & western is really good... some of the best springrolls i've had! -M

GrandMaMa
05-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Grand House is the best Chinese in Oklahoma City. It's just north of NW 23rd St. on Classen. TRY IT!

Let me tell you about Grand House, (personal/business situation regarding which, I would love comments or suggestions.) About 3 yrs ago, we did a wedding, taking the wedding party from the Catholic Church just down Classen to the Grand House for their reception using our Horse and Carriage. After we arrived, we were asked to extend our committment another 2 hrs, just to sit in front of the Grand House for effect and to allow those who wish to use the carriage as a backdrop (or rides) for photos. The bride also mentioned that a friend of hers is a photographer who works for the family tv channel (that produces stories such as "We're having a baby and A wedding story.) She said that her friend may not make it and if she does, their story may never be chosen to be on the wedding show, but just in case we saw camers rolling, that was what was going on. Sure enough, someone, several someone's showed up with cameras and big ideas on how we should be posed, etc. We coorporated as we had been informed that it was for a "non-commercial" purpose if it was going to be used at all. Our time was up on our job, we said goodbye ad never heard from them again. It wasn't long before we saw our likeness on several tv channels as a prop for the Grand House commercials. All in all, we personally witnessed about 20 showings, but had multiple calls from friends and family regarding this issue and asking if we were getting royalities each time it played. I attempted to get information from the channels and from the Grand House, no cooperation whatsoever...it's amazing how someone can lose their ability to understand and/or speak English when it's convenient. To date, everyonce in a while, they will begin another series, and again, there we are. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can either stop it or at least reap some benefits on a commercial endeavor using our likeness...oh, by the way, on our contract, it nowhere gives permission to do so. Thank you for any help, suggestions that you may have to offer. About their food? I wouldn't eat there just on principle, if for no other reason.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
05-28-2007, 08:30 AM
I ate at Grand House last week, you can see my review just a few posts down. I had the Dim Sum though, are you referring to their true Chinese food? I'm talking about like General Tso Chicken and fried rice or sweet and sour chicken and fried rice type Chinese. Either way let me know. I'm not big into Dim Sum or Pho

I dunno, metro, I think they are all the same, everywhere, in the US. I used to be big into General's during my college days, and my beau always orders it and I try some, and honestly I don't think there is any difference. I would suggest Dot Wo in Edmond, if anything, they will have those items and they are the best quality Chinese I've had since I moved down here, but this answer to your specific question is based on assumption alone because I didn't have the General's.

Don't like pho? Awwww that stuff is the BEST! Oh well to each their own...Do you like Thai?

GrandMaMa
05-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Let me tell you about Grand House, (personal/business situation regarding which, I would love comments or suggestions.) About 3 yrs ago, we did a wedding, taking the wedding party from the Catholic Church just down Classen to the Grand House for their reception using our Horse and Carriage. After we arrived, we were asked to extend our committment another 2 hrs, just to sit in front of the Grand House for effect and to allow those who wish to use the carriage as a backdrop (or rides) for photos. The bride also mentioned that a friend of hers is a photographer who works for the family tv channel (that produces stories such as "We're having a baby and A wedding story.) She said that her friend may not make it and if she does, their story may never be chosen to be on the wedding show, but just in case we saw camers rolling, that was what was going on. Sure enough, someone, several someone's showed up with cameras and big ideas on how we should be posed, etc. We coorporated as we had been informed that it was for a "non-commercial" purpose if it was going to be used at all. Our time was up on our job, we said goodbye ad never heard from them again. It wasn't long before we saw our likeness on several tv channels as a prop for the Grand House commercials. All in all, we personally witnessed about 20 showings, but had multiple calls from friends and family regarding this issue and asking if we were getting royalities each time it played. I attempted to get information from the channels and from the Grand House, no cooperation whatsoever...it's amazing how someone can lose their ability to understand and/or speak English when it's convenient. To date, everyonce in a while, they will begin another series, and again, there we are. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can either stop it or at least reap some benefits on a commercial endeavor using our likeness...oh, by the way, on our contract, it nowhere gives permission to do so. Thank you for any help, suggestions that you may have to offer. About their food? I wouldn't eat there just on principle, if for no other reason. Well, does anyone have any suggestions? What they did just isn't fair.

BailJumper
05-28-2007, 09:17 AM
So, if I understand you - you're mad because 3-years ago photos were taken of your carriage outside the Grand House since then those photos are being used in their commercials?

First, why are you not over this 3 years later? Or, why didn't you do something then. Timing plays as big of an importance in many civil cases as anything else.

As for input - I guess you can get a lawyer like everyone else does. He'll charge you hundreds of dollars and in the end you'll get nothing.

You're gonna have to prove more than "That's not fair! I didn't give permission!" etc.

Were you portrayed in a negative light? Was your reputation damaged? Did you suffer a provable financial lose? Can you prove the Grand House made money BECAUSE your carriage was in their ad?

I would think the most you could collect is a small fee for the time you were parked outside the restaurant or maybe some type of injunction to keep the commercial from playing any longer.

Of course if I was them, I'd remind the judge you waited 3-years to take any action (other than phone calls you claim to have made) and either tell you to pound sand or agree not to run the now very old commercials.

You should have hit them with a cease and desist letter the day after you saw the first ad.

Personally, I would have tried to turn lemons into lemonade and ask for a professional tradeout. They can use your images if you can give them a nice poster type ad to place on an easel in their private room. Also provide them with brochures and offer them a small finders fee if they recommend a party to you and they rent your services. Why burn a bridge when you can build one?

GrandMaMa
05-28-2007, 11:01 AM
So, if I understand you - you're mad because 3-years ago photos were taken of your carriage outside the Grand House since then those photos are being used in their commercials?

First, why are you not over this 3 years later? Or, why didn't you do something then. Timing plays as big of an importance in many civil cases as anything else.

As for input - I guess you can get a lawyer like everyone else does. He'll charge you hundreds of dollars and in the end you'll get nothing.

You're gonna have to prove more than "That's not fair! I didn't give permission!" etc.

Were you portrayed in a negative light? Was your reputation damaged? Did you suffer a provable financial lose? Can you prove the Grand House made money BECAUSE your carriage was in their ad?

I would think the most you could collect is a small fee for the time you were parked outside the restaurant or maybe some type of injunction to keep the commercial from playing any longer.

Of course if I was them, I'd remind the judge you waited 3-years to take any action (other than phone calls you claim to have made) and either tell you to pound sand or agree not to run the now very old commercials.

You should have hit them with a cease and desist letter the day after you saw the first ad.

Personally, I would have tried to turn lemons into lemonade and ask for a professional tradeout. They can use your images if you can give them a nice poster type ad to place on an easel in their private room. Also provide them with brochures and offer them a small finders fee if they recommend a party to you and they rent your services. Why burn a bridge when you can build one?
Everything that you have said is true, I just didn't think that it would go on and on and on...and, you tell me, if it wasn't helping their business, would they keep running the ads? I could tell after reading 10 words of your reply that you were not responding to help, just to tell me that I should suck up and shut up...thanks for everything.

BailJumper
05-28-2007, 11:10 AM
If everything I said was true - then how does it not help? You didn't say you wanted someone to hold you hand, pat you and the head and say it will all be okay.

I gave several suggestions - lawyer, cease and desist, make them a tradeout officer. Exactly what "help" were you looking for?

you tell me, if it wasn't helping their business, would they keep running the ads?

They are a small business. I would imagine they are still running the ad because they like it and a new ad costs time and money.

Besides, there are compaines that run ads all the way up to their going out of business. Guess those ads weren't really helping them were they?

Yes, I do think you should suck it up. I never said to shut up - I said either let it go or try and turn it into a positive.

Now, remove your head far enough out of your rectum so that your ears can hear what I'm really saying. (Ahhhh, I knew those quotes from my dad would come in handy one day).

wsucougz
05-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Grand House seems to have gone downhill. The last two times I ate there it was obvious they were cutting costs by using inferior quality chicken. I used to frequent the hell out of that place but no longer.

What the asian district really needs are a couple restaurants that really stand out. Most everything is pretty average or below. If I had to choose the best I would say Lido and Mr. Pho, although admittedly I haven't been to every restaurant in the district. As for Thai, which is near and dear to my heart, Sala Thai isn't as good as it used to be and the Thai Houses suck. Surprisingly, Moon Thai on NW 23rd across from the Walmart neighborhood market is pretty solid if you order off the menu. I have been taking out from there a lot lately and the ingredients and flavor are really high quality. If you like chicken teriyaki it's like the only place around here I've seen it.

bandnerd
05-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Happy House Chinese is all right...huge portions, and they deliver in a small area around downtown. Excellent egg drop soup. Good for colds. It's not exactly "authentic" but it's still pretty tasty!

metro
05-29-2007, 08:12 AM
I had Tai Pei last week, it's around 48th and MacArthur and it was awesome. High quality ingredients, the best fried rice I've seen in town, and very reasonable costs. It's one of my top 5 in the metro for sure.

jbrown84
05-29-2007, 10:35 AM
That's really close to my work.

GrandMaMa
05-30-2007, 09:37 AM
If everything I said was true - then how does it not help? You didn't say you wanted someone to hold you hand, pat you and the head and say it will all be okay.

I gave several suggestions - lawyer, cease and desist, make them a tradeout officer. Exactly what "help" were you looking for?

They are a small business. I would imagine they are still running the ad because they like it and a new ad costs time and money.

Besides, there are compaines that run ads all the way up to their going out of business. Guess those ads weren't really helping them were they?

Yes, I do think you should suck it up. I never said to shut up - I said either let it go or try and turn it into a positive.

Now, remove your head far enough out of your rectum so that your ears can hear what I'm really saying. (Ahhhh, I knew those quotes from my dad would come in handy one day).You know, you're right, I guess it was the condecending way in which you offerred your suggestion that turned off my ears, but I do appreciate the time and effort that it took to attempt to get me to thinking and yes...it was probably one of those days that I just wanted to hear, "Oh poor you"...thanks again for taking the time to clarify and state things just as they are." You won't hear this often, but you are hearing it now, I was certainly wrong in the way that I read and accepted your suggestions, actually, they were quite good..thanks (I sincerely mean that):tiphat:

oldglory
05-30-2007, 10:27 AM
My vote Dot Wo....

aboatman
05-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Kang's in Edmond (2nd between Coltrane and Bryant) has a varied and delightful menu.
The something Wok in Kickingbird Square in Edmond (Danforth and Bryant) is great for lunch. order the C-19

OKCGRL99
05-31-2007, 09:26 AM
I vote for China House at Hefner and Council. Good stuff.

metro
05-31-2007, 03:51 PM
I wasn't that impressed with China House at Hefner and Council, nor Speedy Wok at Hefner and Rockwell, even though I know the owners. They do have good soups at Speedy Wok though.

Millie
06-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I went to Grand House for my third (and hopefully last) time today. I don't see the appeal- other than the beef on a stick stuff, the food just isn't that good.

Midtowner
06-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Grand House used to be pretty good.

I haven't been there in awhile.

I'm always a little wary of Chinese restaurants -- the quality of ingredients in most of them is appalling. I'm not a big fan of mystery meat.

Kandyegirl
06-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Heya ~

Our fave Chinese restaurant is Jumbo @ North May & Hefner. Good quality, affordable and very friendly owners! We've been regular customers for several years. This is making me want Chinese food at 10:00am. <grin>

Cordially ~
Kandye

dismayed
06-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Oh yeah I forgot all about Jumbo Chinese. You're right, they are great. Everyone who lives up that way should give them a shot.

soonerfaithful
06-14-2007, 11:27 PM
For my family it's King Won's on Air Depot in Midwest City.
The place has been around for years now and it's just as good if not better then when it started.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-15-2007, 12:04 AM
For quick take-out, the closest place to my house is out at SE 89th and Sooner, they're pretty good for being a small place in a tiny strip mall in the middle of nowhere. China Olive is what I think it's called.

They're the absolute BEST in my eyes.

Because they're the closest :D

Express Girl
06-19-2007, 02:40 PM
My brother took me to this little hole in the wall place called Taiwan chinese food on NW 28th/Portland. I now make the extra drive just to eat there when i'm craving chinese!

Dave Cook
06-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks for posting this thread. That's what I came here for today...not realizing the topic was already posted.

I've also noticed a serious decline in the quality of Chinese restaurants....especially Aloha Garden on 74th and Penn. One of our old regulars is now only a shell of their former selves. Very bad.

ad47aw
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
lemongrass on sw 119th & western is really good... some of the best springrolls i've had! -M

Ditto. Good food and very relaxed atmosphere.

Andy1807
08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm not crazy about Grand House since they switched to the PF Changs style of food.

The wife and I really like Oasis Cafe for their udon, but it's not the Americanized Chinese food. I can usually talk her into Mr Pho about once a week, but she's not adventurous enough to try any of the other Pho places.

I think Lido has some pretty good chinese entree's like you're looking for.

What's the best Thai place around the Asian district?

linze
08-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Make that double ditto for me. LemonGrass has really great food! The best Hot and Sour Soup I have ever tasted. The secret is using white pepper! YUMMY!

Jon27
08-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Golden Palace at SW 15th and Meridian is awesome!!!!

Jesseda
09-10-2007, 10:52 AM
okay , i used to work at chinese restaurants, i was the only white guy there lol. well anywho, I really like GinWei off of reno and meridian, it is great. I also really really like kits chinese off of eastern and 12th street in moore, nothing fancy by all means, but the food is great , i have not found a place that eats the egg rolls they have, and that sauce oh my gawd....if you like take out the best take out i have tried is also in moore off of eastern just north of 12th street.. it is called mandrin chef.. they general tso is really really good.......

ShiroiHikari
09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
I like Lemongrass too.

There's a place in Norman called the TEA Cafe that's pretty awesome. I've never been disappointed with the quality of their food, and they have awesome drinks and teas.

oumoodman85
09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Love Snow Pea on Western just north of NW 63rd, little bit past Nichols Hills Plaza. Everything I've had there is great.

jawgie
09-12-2007, 02:29 PM
I have tried Kits in Moore and it is good. I do think Dot Wo is better though.

rxis
09-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Grand House used to be pretty good.

I haven't been there in awhile.

I'm always a little wary of Chinese restaurants -- the quality of ingredients in most of them is appalling. I'm not a big fan of mystery meat.

What mystery meat?

bandnerd
09-12-2007, 07:21 PM
You know, that meat that says "pork" or "beef" but has an odd, greasy, translucent quality to it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-12-2007, 11:23 PM
You know, that meat that says "pork" or "beef" but has an odd, greasy, translucent quality to it.

My experience tells me that this meat, while in SE Asia, isn't a mystery at all. It's dog. If you're in Puerto Rico, it's monkey.

Neither are all that bad either.

After a couple of beers.

bandnerd
09-13-2007, 05:37 AM
*shudders uncontrollably*

EWWWWWWWWWW.

rxis
09-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Thats just fat. are you a veggie, bandnerd?

Dot Wo,Lido, first chinese bbq if you know how to order...hehe I'll prob try lemongrass soon.

I think there has been in a decline in quality as well. The good ones don't seem to last in Oklahoma. I guess everyone wants the greasy fried foods.

Karried
10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
One thing I hate is when a new restaurant opens and it 's great, tasty and full of chicken or pork ....then shortly after, the meat becomes nearly non exsistant and it's all veggies and tofu.

It's like a bait and switch. I've seen it happen at the quickie places.. ie China Garden .. a franchise I think.. I won't go back when they do that. I haven't found a place that's really phenominal. I do like the Sunday Seafood Buffet on Broadway Extension and 33rd... (can't remember the name- I think it's Dynasty?). They have a lot of shrimp dishes and crab legs.

otis
10-19-2007, 04:24 PM
King Won's on Air Depot in Midwest City

I went to King Wans on Air Depot on Wednesday night. I ordered the sesame chicken and my husband ordered the beef lo mein. The Lo Mein was made with spaghetti noodles with some type of red sauce. My sesame chicken had no flavor. The egg rolls were burnt and tasted like they had been reheated in a microwave. The sweet and sour sauce I had to pay extra for was thick with no flavor. They did have fast service.

For now I will stay with the New Garden on Douglas and Reno.

Otis

bandnerd
10-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Hardly a vegetarian, but I like meat that is meat, not grissle and fat. That low quality crap has no place on my plate.

eataroundokc.com
10-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Ever tried Snow Pea? I like their chicken fried rice with vegetables. Also, it's hard to find a healthier meal than their lemon chicken with steamed broccoli and no rice.

jbkrems
10-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I went to Snow Pea and had stuff like that, and I was greatly disappointed. For Chinese, I go to Pei Wei, or Kang's.

Taggart
11-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has said Blue Moon in Edmond. It's pretty legendary here.

I also vote Kangs on 2nd.