View Full Version : OSU Press Conference Tonight @ 9:30pm

Intrepid
02-15-2006, 07:34 PM
There is going to be a press conference tonight from Gallagher-Iba @ 9:30pm. The Sports Animal did not indicate the subject matter, but it could very well be to announce Eddie Sutton's retirement.

Channel 9 (KWTV) in OKC has said that they will carry it.

:tiphat:

venture
02-15-2006, 08:38 PM
I think most thought this was going to be a retirement announcement...but obviously nothing more than a damage control event.

writerranger
02-16-2006, 08:16 PM
I couldn't believe it: ONE question from the reporters. I could think of ten just sitting on the couch. The most obvious: "Has Eddie Sutton at any time, since the accident, offered his resignation?...Has the university just chosen not to accept it right now?"

Another: "While everyone is concerned with Coach Sutton, not one word has been said about the irresponsibility shown by Sutton in driving drunk and endangering citizens. Do you have anything to say about his actions - other than it's sad?"

Another: "It almost sounds as if you are excusing Coach Sutton for driving drunk because of his problem with pain. FIVE different people are said to have tried to stop the coach between his office and his car knowing he was having trouble of some kind and incapable of driving. He was angry and belligerent with them all. Where does his problem with pain enter into his decision to get behind the wheel and drive?"

It was a touchy-feely "news conference" from a university that didn't have the guts to say what needed to be said - along with the expressions of concern for Coach Sutton.

It was a joke.
-----------------------

Keith
02-16-2006, 08:46 PM
I couldn't believe it: ONE question from the reporters. I could think of ten just sitting on the couch. The most obvious: "Has Eddie Sutton at any time, since the accident, offered his resignation?...Has the university just chosen not to accept it right now?"

Another: "While everyone is concerned with Coach Sutton, not one word has been said about the irresponsibility shown by Sutton in driving drunk and endangering citizens. Do you have anything to say about his actions - other than it's sad?"

Another: "It almost sounds as if you are excusing Coach Sutton for driving drunk because of his problem with pain. FIVE different people are said to have tried to stop the coach between his office and his car knowing he was having trouble of some kind and incapable of driving. He was angry and belligerent with them all. Where does his problem with pain enter into his decision to get behind the wheel and drive?"

It was a touchy-feely "news conference" from a university that didn't have the guts to say what needed to be said - along with the expressions of concern for Coach Sutton.

It was a joke.
-----------------------
After reading the editorials in the Oklahoman this morning from John Rhode and Berry Trammel, I would have to agree with what they said. They both said they felt that Coach Sutton's coaching career is over with. They were surprised that he hasn't submitted his resignation yet. They said he should have retired several years ago when his health started deteriorating. I agree.

I have sympathy for Coach Sutton because he is an alcoholic and has a serious problem, however, when he got behind the wheel of his vehicle (despite other people telling him not to), and put others' lives at risk, then I have much less sympathy.

And when the university holds a "news conference," and doesn't say what really needs to be said.......it is a joke.

It's time to hold Coach Sutton responsible for his actions. Just like a normal citizen, he needs to lose his license and accept the consequences of his actions. He needs to check in to a rehab center asap. It's amazing how you can make a really stupid mistake, and watch that stupid mistake destroy your reputation and your profession.