View Full Version : Eddie Sutton charged with DUI, stepping down

swake
02-13-2006, 09:54 AM
This is really too bad, it's a sad way to end a great career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2329109

TULSA, Okla. -- Stillwater police said Monday that Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton was cited with driving under the influence after a Friday traffic accident, a Tulsa newspaper reported.

Unrelated to the report, the university announced Monday that Sutton had asked to take a leave of absence for the remainder of the season.

"Coach Sutton has been dealing with constant back and hip problems the last couple of seasons and after last Friday's accident he feels this is the best decision for his health and for the team," said OSU System CEO and President David Schmidly.

Stillwater Police Chief Norman McNickle confirmed the citation Monday, the Tulsa World reported on its Web site.

Sutton was traveling to the Stillwater airport to fly with his team to College Station, Texas, when the accident occurred Friday. The coach sustained bruises to his head in the accident.

McNickle told the newpaper that Sutton also was cited with speeding and driving left of center.

"It has been an extremely difficult season. With my deteriorating physical condition and other issues, I have been under a tremendous amount of stress. I told Dr. Schmidly I was close to making this decision after the trip to Kansas State because the pain in my back was making it very difficult to coach. After Friday's events, I know it is best to go on medical leave the remainder of the season to address my future health. "It is very difficult to step away from the team," Sutton said.

The school said no decision has been made regarding Sutton's plans for next season.

Sutton's son, Sean, who will take over as head coach of the team when Sutton retires, will lead the team the rest of the season.

metro
02-13-2006, 12:40 PM
That's too bad. It makes you wonder if a guy like Eddie faces charges, how a Congressman, Wes Watkins was able to walk free

Keith
02-13-2006, 06:25 PM
That's too bad. It makes you wonder if a guy like Eddie faces charges, how a Congressman, Wes Watkins was able to walk free
Politics, that's why. It's not right and it's not fair, but that's how it works.

It's really sad about Coach Sutton, however, if he was speeding and driving under the influence, then he should face the consequences like anybody else.

With all that has happened, I believe it is time for Coach Sutton to retire. Forget taking a medical leave of absense....if he has been under that much stress, then he needs to retire and seek help.

swake
02-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Word is that it was not liquor, he has been on pain medication for his back, and it would be very understandable, not to mention stupid, to take some pain medication for a bad back right before a long plane ride.

If he took pain medication before leaving for the airport, he should have had someone drive him. Sad end for a man that has done a lot for the state, and I'm a KU fan really rooting against OSU tonight.

John
02-14-2006, 12:46 AM

Watkins didn't walk free. I forget what his official charge was, but he also payed something like $2MM to the family (or surviving children). I want to say it was something like negligent or involuntary manslaughter?

Watkins wasn't under the influence of drugs or alcohol, either.

metro
02-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Right, but Watkins didn't get jailtime, he was able to buy his way out of it because of his position and power. There's tons of people who'd rather buy there way out of jailtime if they were given the option, although he wasn't under the influence, he did involuntarily kill someone. I agree however, if Watkins and Sutton did the crime, they should do the time just like everybody else. Watkins was practically glorified because he's paying the kids tuition. Noble gesture but its all politics.

Patrick
02-14-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm also curious if it wasn't all alcohol in Eddie's case. When you're on pain killers like hydrocodone, it realy lowers the level of alcohol your body can tolerate. I wonder if he just had a typical drink or two, and ended up UI, not because he drank too much but because of the interaction/additive effects with the opioid pain killer.

Patrick
02-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Also makes me wonder if the guy simply has a diabetic crash. They said he had a fruity odor on his breath. The only thing that can cause fruity odor of the breath is diabetic ketoacidosis.......him passing out could've been caused by an insulin reaction. Is the guy diabetic?

OklahomaNightLife
02-14-2006, 03:10 PM
The media's spin on this subject is driving me up the wall! During last nights game versus the Jayhawks it seemed like every media timeout was there just so they could talk abou this. Not once mentioning that atleast nobody was injured in the accident. And on top of all of that we dropped another one at home!

osupa05
02-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Well.. let me just say that I bleed orange and black... with that said, coach has had a problem before with alki, so while I would love to think that his fruity breath was him in DKA, it's more than likely not... what hacks me off more than anything was the fact that people (they reported this even being in the police report on one of the news channels) saw him stumble and hit his head in the parking lot.. and they let him continue because he said he was O.K.... who lets someone get in a car after witnessing that event???? Those people ought to be charged with negligence! Whatever the outcome, I'm disappointed that things have turned out this way... he's a great coach and it's been a really rough season! Too bad Coach Sutton Jr's debut with KU didn't turn out too well!

Good or bad... GO POKES!!!!!!

PUGalicious
02-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Not once mentioning that atleast nobody was injured in the accident.
Eddie Sutton was injured and the driver of the other vehicle was injured. I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but it's not accurate.

Keith
02-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I am not really sure if I agree with his decision by the judge. If they only give Coach Sutton probation, then to me, it is a very light penalty. Plus, the fact that his blood alcohol level was three times the legal limit. I don't care if he was was the head coach of the OSU mens basketball team, I feel the punishment is too light for the crime he committed. There were many lives that were put at stake because of his stupidity.

Sutton charged with drunken driving

By Nolan Clay
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER -- Oklahoma State University basketball coach Eddie Sutton was charged today with aggravated drunken driving, a misdemeanor, after a blood test revealed he had almost three times the legal limit of alcohol in his blood.

He is accused of driving under the influence Feb. 10 when he struck another vehicle, then a tree. Both Sutton and the other driver were injured.

"Well I guess I screwed up, boys," Sutton told police officers at the hospital hours after the accident when they first ticketed him for the offense, according to a police report released today.

The charge officially is called aggravated operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating alcohol -- personal injury accident.

Police said the blood test revealed Sutton had a blood alcohol concentration of .22. In Oklahoma, a driver is considered intoxicated with a blood alcohol concentration of .08 or more.

Police officer Stephen Hall wrote in a court affidavit he "could smell the odor of an intoxicating beverage coming from Sutton" after arriving at the accident. "Two Fire Department personnel also reported smelling the odor of an intoxicant coming from Sutton," the officer wrote.

Hall wrote that a bottle of hydrocodone, a pain reliever, also was in the 2006 Dodge Durango that Sutton was driving.

Sutton also is charged with driving left of center and speeding.

The aggravated drunk driving charge is punishable by 90 days to 1 year in a county jail and a fine of up to $2,500. Sutton could just get probation.

Sutton, 69, admitted by phone at a news conference on Wednesday that he had succumbed to temptation and bought a bottle before the accident. He said he is going into a treatment center.

At a news conference today, Payne County District Attorney Robert Hudson said Sutton will make his initial court appearance after completing treatment.

The prosecutor said he informed the victim, Teresa Barnard of Perry, that probation likely will be recommended for Sutton.

Hudson said "Mr. Sutton is not receiving any special or preferential treatment whatsoever....I believe it's important for the criminal justice system to be blind as to who a person is ... this case will be handled in the same way as we handle any other case with similar circumstances. It's just the right thing to do."

In a prepared statement, Sutton said the police and prosecutors are carrying out their responsibilities as they should.

"I made a serious mistake. I recognize it and I accept the consequences. In an attempt to get relief from the pain I was experiencing with my back and hip, I made a poor choice and now must address those consequences.

"As I said Wednesday night, I regret more than anyone will ever know what has happened. Please pray for me as I seek to address my problem and health concerns." Sutton is not officially retired but is on medical leave.

Jack
02-17-2006, 09:01 PM
He's just getting off because he's Eddie Sutton. Just like I'd get off because I'm Jack! Whoooaaa. Wait a minute. I wouldn't get off. I'd be thrown in the slammer.

Celebrities always get special treatment.

In all seriousness, I think the guy should be forced to go to some intensive treatment. I doubt jail time will really help at this point. He needs help.

osupa05
02-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Then why would they say that they do that with everyone, give them the same treatment... it was his first offence. He is going to treatment... In his defense, do you, when you get a DUI get it plastered ALL over the news?? If nothing else, he deserves a little slack just for that... Even Cheny's hunting buddy forgave him for shooting him... the other person involved in the crash is probably going to milk it for all it's worth, just because he's a "celebrity! If you want "celebrity" treatment, then become a celebrity!! Just leave the poor guy alone... he's an alki, he admitted it... he said he was sorry... move on!!!

Jack
02-18-2006, 09:24 PM
I wonder if Sutton had killed the lady he hit, if things would've turned out different. Folks, this was serious. He could've killed some people. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than attempted murder.

osupa05
02-19-2006, 07:49 AM
So is every other drunk person that gets behind the wheel on Friday and Saturday nights after leaving bricktown... whether or not they are pulled over and charged, let alone get in a wreck! It's wrong... but does it still happen???? Yep! Does everyone of them go to jail for attempted murder? Nope! I'm not saying let him off easy! He's said he's going to seek treatment... let him get help! Jail's not going to reform a 60 year old coach... does the drunk tank reform that 26 year old? Driving after drinking is a serious problem with many times fatally serious consequences, but it's way beyond the scope of an old basketball coach in stilly!