View Full Version : okcpulse's OKCTalk Texas Bureau

okcpulse
02-12-2006, 07:59 PM
In this thread, I will discuss development ideas that would be a perfect model for Oklahoma City while being a Texas resident, and at the same time sharing with you guys the caveats of living in the Lone Star State.

The Sooner blood (not OU) runs through me strong. And when I talk about Oklahoma, I brag. But I'm also honest about our downfalls. Nonetheless, I have been very observent of the things are done here in the Houston metro area. A lot is different, but not really better, or at least what I am not accustomed to.

Keith, Patrick and Todd joked about this at our last moderator meeting (thanks again for a good time, guys), but I thought I'd bring this thread to life for the VIP Lounge.

I haven't been active on this forum since I have been adjusting to life in Texas, and building several websites at once, as well as getting with a publisher for my OKC vacation book. Maybe I am putting too much on my plate, but maybe I'm justing trying to keep my mind occupied.

THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS

The Woodlands is a master planned community that was platted and established in 1974 and today is the size of Edmond. My wife and I live in Conroe, and there is a distinct difference in incorporated cities and other cities in Texas that are civil divisions like The Woodlands, that don't even show up on the U.S. Census.

The Woodlands adheres to a strict development code. All business signs must remain at ground level, and all street signs at T instersections that begin a new street must resemble a ground level stone-etched entrance sign. Paved trails follow curved 4 lane divided arterials such as Research Forest Dr. and Gosling Rd., but remain hidden by trees. All medians have the natural forest preserved. That means when the main arterials were build, the median was never cleared of natural vegetation (most of which are 50 ft. tall pine trees) and thus you seldom see the opposite side of the arterial.

All strip centers must be master planned and remain invisible fromt he main arterials. And, pad sites must be set aside in the center of the parking lots for further development. Neighborhoods must not be visible from main arterials, and a twenty foot tree buffer must be in place between homes and streets.

This formula makes The Woodlands VERY attractive for corporates from the east and west coasts.

But in Conroe and Houston, stretches of main arterials are downright hideous. There is no zoning in Houston, so you see exquisite homes next to body shops. A strip club is next to shopping. Just too random for my taste.

Now here is the winner in Texas. Texas treats their highway system as a measn of survival. In Oklahoma, highways are a political game. However, arterials in Houston are in sad shape. No one seems to know why, other than heavy traffic.

Texas has caught on to the turnpike syndrome. The multi-billion dollar Grand Parkway (toll) will begin construction soon. This will stretch across the north side of Houston, and will be a toll road. No more freeways.

And Oklahoma, hear me on this... TEXAS TAXES ARE NOT BETTER!!!
They do not tax state income, and milk, bread, bottled water, baking goods, meats and cerials are not taxed. Pop, junk food, frozen goods, prepared heat 'n' eats, and fruit juice beverages are. Texas also hits you with taxes in places you would expect. On our utility bills, there is of course sales taxes on the services provided, and then a seperate state tax for 'using' not buying the service. It was on my phone bill, gas bill, electric bill and my water bill.

Vehicle inspections are $40. Car tags are $63.00, and a new resident registration tax is $90 per vehicle. All tags are obtained at the county courthouse, not a tag agency.

Bottom line is, you pay. One way or another, no matter the state in which you reside. I won't go into property taxes. They are outrageous here. My home would have been $280 a month alone in property taxes on a 36 year-old home.

okcpulse

okcpulse
02-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Houston Begins $200 Million Office and Retail Development

The city of Houston gave the go-ahead for a private $200 million office and retail project in downtown Houston. The project will span three square blocks, and will include a fifteen-story office building. One music & restaurant venue has already signed up for a lease, and others are looking at the property.

This is in addition to the recently completed Toyota Center, home to the Houston Rockets.

I know Oklahoma City can match that kind of energy. We're quickly getting to that point.

SOME TEXANS JUST DON'T CARE

Many folks in Texans seldom engage on the topic of politics, especially state politics. Many in their 20s really do not pay a whole lot of attention to what's happeniing in their state. There is little controversy, which could be both a good thing and a bad thing. Bad thing is... the news in Texas gets very boring. Mostly a five day forecast, the lastest high-speed chase, and the rest of the news is about sports and Hollywood.

The crime is rising rapidly in the Houston area. Over 150,000 new residents that were moved from Louisiana to Houston, and that move is leading to serious trouble. In some of Houston public schools, there have been a lot of fights and knifes being pulled. No guns... as of yet. The Houston Police speculate tension between gangs from New Orleans and those in Houston.

Oklahoma has been criticized for 'not taking in as many refugees' as here in Texas. But Oklahoma plans ahead. Houston raked them in. 150,000 more people with no jobs and no place to go, compounded with lack of resources. Now, 150,000 is twice the size of Edmond, and imagine that not being compensated by police, fire protection, job availability and available education.

Oklahoma knew that taking in more than what we were prepared for could spell consequences. But hey, we're the kind of state that plans ahead.