View Full Version : Walmart is digging a hole to China in Edmond

Pages : [1] 2

jbrown84
02-12-2006, 06:51 PM
I am so upset about the disaster that is the Fox Lake Walmart. What a terrible mess. You would think that a company based in a place as green as NW Arkansas would be more environmentally responsible than this. They basically ripped out a quarter square mile of forest.

Oki_Man5
02-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Did they allow people to cut up the trees for firewood?

metro
02-13-2006, 08:40 AM
How is the progress on the construction going? Did they just now take out the trees or have they been out for some time now? Just curious as to what the current status was. Not saying I agree/disagree with the new Wal-Mart.

jbrown84
02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
No the trees have been gone for months and they've been doing dirt work and there are piles of dirt three stories high looming over I-35.

metro
02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
thanks jbrown84 for the status report. are there any other structures going up other than the wal-mart?

Faith
02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
No the trees have been gone for months and they've been doing dirt work and there are piles of dirt three stories high looming over I-35.

Are you speaking of the huge piles of dirt on 1-35 & around 33rd Street? I drive by that everyday and was wondering what was going on there.

jbrown84
02-13-2006, 03:47 PM
It's between 15th and 2nd. Metro, the development is supposed to include a shopping center called Fox Lake Plaza, which I fear will be just the same old stuff. No rederings have ever been published, so I can only hope that it is somewhat upscale but I doubt it because it will be next to a Walmart. The shopping center is not as far along in the timetable, I believe.

TheImmortal
02-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Here is a picture of the Wal-Mart rendering. Much more upscale looking than most. But a Wal-Mart is a Wal-Mart. I also will try to find the Fox Plake Plaza renderings. I have seen them but can't seem to locate them.http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/WillHunt/walmart.jpg

*Edit*
Alright found a link to a video presentation of Fox Lake Plaza. About a few seconds before 3/4 way through you can see the Wal-Mart across the street in the background. This will be a fairly upscale shopping center for OKC standards but all the same I just hope it actually brings some variety to the shopping experience and not another Ross/Petsmart/Ulta clone shopping center like the others in the metro. Even more to ponder. What will happen with the old Wal-Mart site on Broadway? The possiblities are endless. I would definatly keep an eye on the I-35 area, as 17 acres of I-35 frontage was just sold to a developer at I-35 and Covell. I imagine Edmond's strip of I-35will almost turn into a area comparable to Memorial, just in clusters and more upscale. Either way lets keep the Edmond board flowing, as Edmond is what I know best.

jbrown84
02-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Well, good to see that it will be super upscale for a Walmart, I guess.

What is the link to that video? I'm dying to see.

jbrown84
02-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Excerpted from a 2003 Edmond Sun article:

"Rice said the plans show a 100-foot buffer along the west side of the property, which is the side closest to the Fox Lake Addition. Additional buffers will be kept along 15th Street to preserve some of the natural timber there."

I know for a fact that they left nothing along 15th street or the frontage road, and it doesn't look like they left anything between the lake and the development either. What a terrible mistake.

metro
02-15-2006, 09:19 AM
What will happen with the old Wal-Mart site on Broadway?

This was already announced but I forgot what is replacing it. I think we discussed it on the site before but not sure. You may try searching to find more info.

TheImmortal
02-15-2006, 09:20 PM
http://www.usland.com/Fox%20Lake%20Plaza.wmvhere is the link. Sorry I forgot it.

jbrown84
02-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the link, Immortal.

Patrick
02-17-2006, 01:14 PM
You know Edmond will make them landscape the heck out of it. I wish OKC was as strict.

Patrick
02-17-2006, 01:17 PM
I watched the video. Doesn't look any different from any other strip center. Looks just like Belle Isle Station or Quail Springs Market Place! Argh!

Faith
02-17-2006, 01:59 PM
The picture of the Walmart above looks alot like the new Walmart in MWC across from Tinker AFB.

jbrown84
02-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I watched the video. Doesn't look any different from any other strip center. Looks just like Belle Isle Station or Quail Springs Market Place! Argh!

I agree. And I loved how they showed the lake so much when it's going to be completely hidden by the strip mall. Why don't they do something unique like flip it around where the store fronts face the lake. THAT might be nice.

Jack
02-17-2006, 08:48 PM
It's suburbia. What do you expect? I don't see how anyone can get excited about this.

TheImmortal
02-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Lol true, but I go out that way quite a bit so it will be kind of nice to have a grocery store convenient to me, but all the same I wish more developments like the Spring Creek area would be built in Edmond and the metro as well. At least they are more appealing to the eye. Oh yes, I am sure there is a thread for this and some of you might have noticed, but Starbucks is one of the first tenants to go into the new Spring Creek Village. I am fairly dissapointed though, Starbucks used to be special, I don't even care these days.

jbrown84
02-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Where did you see that about the Starbucks, Immortal? I drive by there constantly looking for a sign of what's going in there. Seems awfully close to the Starbucks locations in Target and at 2nd and Blackwelder.

TheImmortal
02-18-2006, 12:54 AM
The actual sign is on the builing. If you drive by Bryant and 15th and look at the new building you can't miss it. I am also hoping one of the buildings will end up being a Barnes and Noble, I heard rumors that they were looking at Edmond. But who knows. I get alot of my info from here http://www.eeda.com/cgi-bin/NewsList.cgi I am always looking foreward to the next one. Also, I beleive Popeye's Chicken is coming to Edmond somewhere or another.

Jack
02-18-2006, 08:02 PM
I am also hoping one of the buildings will end up being a Barnes and Noble, I heard rumors that they were looking at Edmond.
'
I can't get excited about Barnes and Noble. Just another big box chain store.

jbrown84
02-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Oh please. Do you live in east Edmond like I do? If I can go to a really nice Barnes and Noble in Spring Creek Village five minutes away, rather than driving 15-20 minutes over to Quail Springs, I'm not complaining.

Maybe you'd prefer a Jack in the Box to go in there, since it's a high quality, delectable, locally owned establishment.

TheImmortal
02-19-2006, 10:27 PM
No, I live right next to Edmond Santa Fe High School(West Edmond), but I would rather spend my tax dollars in Edmond than OKC, plus I hate dealing with traffic by Quail Spings.

jbrown84
02-19-2006, 10:34 PM
I was talking to Jack.

Jack
02-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Oh please. Do you live in east Edmond like I do? If I can go to a really nice Barnes and Noble in Spring Creek Village five minutes away, rather than driving 15-20 minutes over to Quail Springs, I'm not complaining.

Maybe you'd prefer a Jack in the Box to go in there, since it's a high quality, delectable, locally owned establishment.

Actually, I do. I live off Coltrane and 33rd St.

I think Spring Creek Village should be developed more like Spring Creek Plaza: small upscale shops, not large big box retailers that will bring the area down. Big box retailers like Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Books a Million belong in strip centers, not in nice upscale shopping villages. A Barnes and Noble would absolutely ruin the upscale feel of the quaint shops in the Spring Creek area.

I'd much rather see Barnes and Noble build in a development like Fox Creek or maybe up on Danforth and Kelley, not Spring Creek.

Patrick
02-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Jack, I actually agree with you. The Spring Creek area is built itself on a foundation upscale quaint shops. I think large stores would ruin the area. Big Box retailers should stay in strip centers.

jbrown84
02-20-2006, 01:28 PM
I agree in principle, but I think I would make exception with Barnes and Noble because it's smaller for a big box and generally much more upscale than Petsmart or Office Depot or something like that. I think it would work to have Barnes and Noble as an anchor for Spring Creek Village, but I guess Fox Lake Plaza would be okay too.

windowphobe
02-20-2006, 04:26 PM
And there's a decent indie bookstore in Edmond: Best of Books, in Kickingbird Square. (I went up there for David Kent's signing of his third Department Thirty novel.)

metro
02-21-2006, 07:36 AM
I thought Best of Books went out of business

Faith
02-21-2006, 08:41 AM
It's suburbia. What do you expect? I don't see how anyone can get excited about this.

I'm excited about the Walmart and Plaza going up because it is only 2 miles from my house! There won't be any traffic to deal with when I have to go shopping.

Jack
02-21-2006, 09:01 AM
I'm excited about the Walmart and Plaza going up because it is only 2 miles from my house! There won't be any traffic to deal with when I have to go shopping.

Oh brother. I've never heard of someone getting excited about a Wal-Mart going in.

Faith
02-21-2006, 09:28 AM
There are things about Walmart that I can't stand... The rudeness of the shoppers and people. But I can overcome all of that for convenience. I always shop by myself with my two children. It will be faster for me to drive around the corner to shop for everything I need. The Super Target isn't too far away but from my experience they are far more expensive.

Oki_Man5
02-21-2006, 09:29 AM
There will be two Supercenters in my stomping grounds soon: One at 23rd and Douglas, and the other at 15th and Sooner, and I am excited to see them get there.

Faith
02-21-2006, 09:37 AM
There will be two Supercenters in my stomping grounds soon: One at 23rd and Douglas, and the other at 15th and Sooner, and I am excited to see them get there.

Are those both MWC addresses?

Oki_Man5
02-21-2006, 09:42 AM
The 15th street one is in Del City and the other is MWC

Jack
02-22-2006, 03:12 PM
How about we go ahead and build one downtown right in the middle of the CBD. I bet someone would get excited.

Faith
02-22-2006, 03:42 PM
How about we go ahead and build one downtown right in the middle of the CBD. I bet someone would get excited.

Are you still making fun of me getting excited about getting a supercenter right by my house?????

Oki_Man5
02-22-2006, 05:23 PM
I don't know if anyone would get excited or not, but it certainly would upgrade the CBD Area.

jbrown84
02-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Please tell me you are joking. The minute we put a Walmart in the CBD, everyone on this site might as well pack up and go home.

Oki_Man5
02-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I am curious as to why you might think I was joking, and how having a Wal-Mart there affect this board?

Jack
02-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Wal-Mart's are associated with low-life, welfare, access card users. They're at the bottom as far as grocery chains go. Anytime a Wal-Mart moves into an area, residential property values typically drop immediately. I think that shows you something.

Faith
02-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Wal-Mart's are associated with low-life, welfare, access card users. They're at the bottom as far as grocery chains go. Anytime a Wal-Mart moves into an area, residential property values typically drop immediately. I think that shows you something.

Get Real!

Yes alot of people like you mentioned are shoppers at Walmart. But obviously not everyone. I don't like the rudeness I encounter sometimes as Walmart but I will shop there for convenience. Convenience is very important for my family. I am not a low-life, welfare, access card user and I would associate myself as a Walmart shopper. And as far as that goes there are several Walmart shoppers that don't fit your description. Your stereotype is wrong!

Jack
02-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Honey, my stereotype is right. Look at the statistics of shoppers that shop at Wal-Mart in terms of annual income, race, etc. Over 28% of shoppers at Wal-Mart use governmental assistance, that's more than twice seen at any other store. What do you think you're going to attract to the residential areas surrounding these Wal-Marts with these statistics?

The Highlands and many of those other apartments in the Quail Springs area used to be nice until Wal-Mart moved in. Since, Wal-Mart has attracted low-life, not only to their store, but also to the apartments nearby. That's just the truth of the matter.

Faith
02-23-2006, 02:13 PM
What about the other 72%? What type of people are they?

Jack
02-23-2006, 02:37 PM
The other 72% are either bottom of the line, crawling on the ground poor, or low class, or maye a few middle class, or possibly a few upperclass that have nothing better to do than walk around through slime and poop.

Faith
02-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Whatever! What Walmart have you been in that you walk around in slime and poop? The MWC one at reno?

Patrick
02-23-2006, 03:10 PM
I've seen slime and poop at the Belle Isle one and at the one on Memorial and Penn. Can't make judgements on any others.

Faith
02-23-2006, 03:24 PM
I've seen slime and poop at the Belle Isle one and at the one on Memorial and Penn. Can't make judgements on any others.

You have literally seen poop at a Walmart! Whatever! If that was the case did you call the health department on them?

Faith
02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Super Walmart centers are very convienient for all types of people. Poor, middle-class, upper-class, etc. Walmarts help to employee alot of our citizens as well. There may be downfalls to Walmart like some of the customers and employees, or them running out small business but overall I think the positives far outweigh all the negatives.

Oki_Man5
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
I fail to see how putting the small shops out of business is a negative. Isn't this The United States of America?

At any rate, when one of the "mom and pops" go out, there will be a job at Wal-mart for them and their employees.

TheImmortal
02-23-2006, 10:57 PM
It is not like there are that many "mom and pop" shops in the area of the new Wal-Mart anyways. I imagine if they put one right along route 66 in Arcadia then it would be devastating, but this isnt the case.

Oki_Man5
02-24-2006, 04:46 AM
I am guessing you mean it would be devastating to any "mom and pop" that is out there, but just you watch the Wal-Mart store fill up with customers who are so very happy they can finally do some shopping close to home.

Even mom and pop will be shopping at Wal-Mart.

Faith
02-24-2006, 07:47 AM
I fail to see how putting the small shops out of business is a negative. Isn't this The United States of America?

At any rate, when one of the "mom and pops" go out, there will be a job at Wal-mart for them and their employees.

Its a negative for the family and people involved at the time it goes out of business.

Oki_Man5
02-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Could it just be a perceived negative and actually be a blessing?

It is so easy to get people to hop onto the "poor me" bandwagon.

Faith
02-24-2006, 08:48 AM
It all depends on the situation. To some it may be a blessing but to others it may not. I believe people are entitled to feel a little down sometimes when dramatic things happen in their personal or business life. The importantce is they pick their feet back up and move forward with their lives.

Patrick
02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
You have literally seen poop at a Walmart! Whatever! If that was the case did you call the health department on them?

Poop smeared all over the floor and mirrors in the bathrooms at the Belle Isle Wal-Mart on numerous visits.

Open dirty diapers on a shelf in the toilet paper aisle at the store on Penn and Memorial. It was gross.

No, I actually didn't call the health dept. but probably should have.

Patrick
02-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Most mom and pop stores paid better than Wal-Mart. Plus, the management was family and actually cared about their employees. Wal-Mart is a huge corporation. If you have a family issue that keeps you away from work, they could care less. You're just a number. If you don't show up for work, you're fired. They don't care.

Also, Wal-Mart really holds a monopoly right now, on that type of business. People simply can't compete with them. Sort-of like Microsoft. I think both should fall under the same restrictions other monopolies have to follow.

Faith
02-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Poop smeared all over the floor and mirrors in the bathrooms at the Belle Isle Wal-Mart on numerous visits.

Open dirty diapers on a shelf in the toilet paper aisle at the store on Penn and Memorial. It was gross.

No, I actually didn't call the health dept. but probably should have.

Okay that is just plain out gross. I have gone to Walmart since I was a child. I have never came across an incident like that. I wouldn't continue to go to a place if I had numerous of incidents like the one you described above. I went to Walmart last night on Danforth in Edmond. It was nice and not dirty at all. There was a little big of litter in the parking lot but I see that everywhere.

I am still excited about the new developement of Walmart on 1-35 in Edmond. :biggrin:

Oki_Man5
02-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Patrick failed to mention that he was the one who took the poop and slime into the store and put it on the shelf.

C'mon folks---It is not the store policy to let that stuff be there; it would be very easy for some customer to do it, and one of you just happen to be the next shopper in the area.

I hear all people who live in NW OKC or Edmond are likely to do something like that---leave poop and slime on the shelf.