View Full Version : Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

Pages : [1] 2

metro
02-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Barkley: Oklahoma a vast wasteland

By Andrew Gilman
The Oklahoman

TNT analyst Charles Barkley took a shot at Oklahoma but took time to praise Hornets rookie Chris Paul during TNT's All-Star selection show.
Charles Barkley blog
Charles Barkley quotes

"Oklahoma is nothing but vast wasteland," Barkley said, adding that Oklahoma was "no place for black people."

"The Oklahoma Sooners and the Hornets are the only brothers in town."

The former NBA star had plenty of kind words about Paul and the Hornets, saying that Paul should have been picked for the All-Star game and the Hornets should make the playoffs.

Barkley teased Paul, asking if he had chickens and cows in his yard.

MadMonk
02-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Yet another celebrity proves that fame does not equal intelligence.:rolleyes:

BricktownGuy
02-10-2006, 01:26 PM
These comments come from an individual that causes bar brawls.

Should anyone even give any weight to what he says? He has probably never been to Oklahoma City.. or even Oklahoma for that matter.

BFizzy
02-10-2006, 01:56 PM
He's from Alabama. Give me a break. He always insults people. That's just what he does. I don't think this is worth discussing.

Karried
02-10-2006, 03:15 PM
I think it 's worth discussing - he's never even been here.

I think it's insulting - he's an idiot.

Curt
02-10-2006, 03:30 PM
I'd tell him to stay out of Oklahoma and move to NOLA where he is wanted.

jbrown84
02-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Ignorant jerk.

Nuclear_2525
02-10-2006, 04:16 PM
LOL, I think it's funny because he is from Alabama...Maybe he is just jealous that his home state didn't get a team before OK did.

windowphobe
02-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh, come on. This is Sir Charles talking here. He always comes up with stuff like that.

Every day you have your choice of pernicious pronouncements from people seeking power and/or glory; it's a waste of time to get bent out of shape over something said by a sportscaster, fercryingoutloud.

HOT ROD
02-10-2006, 05:04 PM
I think that is ridiculous.

If he had come to OKC, he would see that the city is very diverse, with an extremely large black population - among Asian, Hispanic, gays, and other minorities!!!

I bet he could not even hang in some of OKC's ethnic ghettos!!!!!

I think a positive statement or at least "hold off until you visit" would have been a more class thing to do.

But then again, Barkeley was never known for class only lack of it.

Intrepid
02-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Oh, come on. This is Sir Charles talking here. He always comes up with stuff like that.

Every day you have your choice of pernicious pronouncements from people seeking power and/or glory; it's a waste of time to get bent out of shape over something said by a sportscaster, fercryingoutloud.

I agree. He's always been known to say stuff like this. He does it for attention. And what is he getting? Attention. That's what he's PAID to do

Just ignore him.

From what I've heard on the Sports Animal, Mayor Cornett has extended an invitation to Sir Charles to visit OKC.

BFizzy
02-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Maybe Chris Paul should invite Sir Charles to OKC. We could give them an intenerary.

zuluwarrior0760
02-10-2006, 06:59 PM
He has always said these sorts of things
to see what response he can attain.

He has received that response....the governor
has responded on TV, the FORMER governer
has responded also on TV.....our tourism
people are sending him a gift basket,
and every radio station, news station and this
newsgroup is talking about it.

If he had said something similar about Dallas
or Kansas City, it would not have even
elicited so much as a comment, but because
of Oklahoma's pronounced inferiority complex,
we feel the need to defend ourselves against
a comment that is akin to a "Yo Mama" putdown....

Let it go....

HOT ROD
02-10-2006, 07:41 PM
He has always said these sorts of things
to see what response he can attain.

He has received that response....the governor
has responded on TV, the FORMER governer
has responded also on TV.....our tourism
people are sending him a gift basket,
and every radio station, news station and this
newsgroup is talking about it.

If he had said something similar about Dallas
or Kansas City, it would not have even
elicited so much as a comment, but because
of Oklahoma's pronounced inferiority complex,
we feel the need to defend ourselves against
a comment that is akin to a "Yo Mama" putdown....

Let it go....

The point is:

Barkeley would never say that about Dallas or KC.

He said it about OKC because he doesnt know OKC or anything about it. Otherwise, he'd realize how foolish he is making such a fallous statement.

HOT ROD
02-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Every city deserves some respect, especially up and coming ones like OKC. I think the city is commendable and he should have noted the same just like every other sports/media authority has.

okcpulse
02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Let me iterate how educated Charles Barkley really is. He just trashed a state that has more black-founded towns than any state in the country. Oklahoma City was the first city to desegregate its public school system in 1963 (although it didn't go over well). Point is... OKC could have fought desegregation. Sure, I bet there were some protests, and whites moved to the 'burbs. However, it was nothing comapred to the tention in Alabama. In any case, I don't like the south. Never have, never will. Oklahoma is not part of the 'south' that was the confederacy.

So Charles might want to reconsider his claim that Oklahoma is 'no place for black people'.

writerranger
02-10-2006, 09:14 PM

You tell me if it would matter if a white sportscaster said Detroit was not a place for white people and the only brothers in Detroit were in the NHL and the Chess Club. These double standards are constant and ongoing.

writerranger
02-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Everybody seems worried about his slamming of Oklahoma. What troubles me and SHOULD trouble others are his blatantly RACIST comments. Blacks always get a pass when they play the race card and EVEN when spouting outright racism like Barkley did. He should be fired, just like any white sportscaster would be if he said a particular city wasn't a good city for white people.

Keith
02-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Everybody seems worried about his slamming of Oklahoma. What troubles me and SHOULD trouble others are his blatantly RACIST comments. Blacks always get a pass when they play the race card and EVEN when spouting outright racism like Barkley did. He should be fired, just like any white sportscaster would be if he said a particular city wasn't a good city for white people.
Although I agree that slamming Oklahoma was totally wrong, the racist comment was grounds for termination. The station even had to cut to a commercial because of the comments he made. I think the other commentators were very embarrassed by his comments and his disrespect. What he said may not mean much to others, but I do get sick and tired of celebrities making fun of our state when they have never even been here.

Barkley is just a wind bag with no intelligence whatsoever. His big mouth has gotten him in trouble.

http://newsok.com/tempimages/f10chuck.jpg (http://www.newsok.com/article/1757468/?template=home/main)

HOT ROD
02-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Let me iterate how educated Charles Barkley really is. He just trashed a state that has more black-founded towns than any state in the country. Oklahoma City was the first city to desegregate its public school system in 1963 (although it didn't go over well). Point is... OKC could have fought desegregation. Sure, I bet there were some protests, and whites moved to the 'burbs. However, it was nothing comapred to the tention in Alabama. In any case, I don't like the south. Never have, never will. Oklahoma is not part of the 'south' that was the confederacy.

So Charles might want to reconsider his claim that Oklahoma is 'no place for black people'.

Second that.

This ranking from a poster on SSP.com, is the % white of metro areas over 1M. OKC is in the middle and a lot more diverse than many metros than you'd think.

"here is the ranked "whiteness" ofr U.S. metros over one million in 2000:

Pittsburgh 89.51%
Salt Lake City 87.60%
Providence 86.25%
Minneapolis-St. Paul 86.12%
Grand Rapids 85.68%
Cincinnati 85.32%
Boston 85.06%
Portland 84.28%
Rochester 83.97%
Buffalo 83.78%
Tampa-St. Petersburg 82.91%
Louisville 82.84%
Indianapolis 82.05%
Columbus 81.28%
Kansas City 80.82%
Hartford 80.71%
Denver 80.56%
Nashville 79.42%
Seattle 79.31% (more white than OKC Metro!!!)
West Palm Beach 79.05%
Cleveland 79.04%
St. Louis 78.25% (amazing, more white than OKC Metro!!!)
San Juan, PR 78.21%
Milwaukee 77.75%
Phoenix 76.97%
Oklahoma City 75.66%
Orlando 74.98%
Greensboro-Winston-Salem 74.44%
Las Vegas 73.79%
Charlotte 73.62%
Detroit 73.05%
Jacksonville 72.65%
Philadelphia 72.54%
Austin 72.49%
San Antonio 70.59%
Miami 70.06%
Sacramento 69.99%
Dallas-Fort Worth 69.50%
Raleigh-Durham 69.36%
Chicago 66.85%
San Diego 66.52%
New York 64.10%
Washington-Baltimore 63.03%
Atlanta 62.98%
Houston 62.58%
Norfolk-Virginia Beach 62.47%
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose 58.72%
New Orleans 57.30%
Los Angeles 55.14%
Memphis 52.89%
"

And OKC has sizeable numbers of diversity in Asian, Hispanic, other Latin, Indian (of course), and Black.

But we Oklahomans know this already!!! Perhaps Chuckie should come visit and he can see the diversity that is OKC.

Karried
02-10-2006, 10:48 PM
This is what I received from the TNT pr people:

'Charles comments represent his personal viewpoints, and we're sorry if you were offended by them. Weve made Charles aware of your comments, and thank you for expressing them to us.'

My message to TNT:
A vast wasteland! What a terrible insult to the citizens of Oklahoma. Charles Barkley typifies all that is wrong in sports. He is an opinionated, ignorant bigot who has set race relations back 40 years with his comments about African Americans in Oklahoma.

At the very least, he needs to come to OK and watch a Hornet's game... if he can't at least visit to see this ' vast wasteland' he needs to keep his mouth closed.

writerranger
02-11-2006, 12:01 AM
This is what I received from the TNT pr people:

'Charles comments represent his personal viewpoints, and we're sorry if you were offended by them. Weve made Charles aware of your comments, and thank you for expressing them to us.'

Lame and insulting response from TNT. They should have fired him - period. This whole "it's just Barkley being Barkley" shouldn't wash. Howard Cosell, Rush Limbaugh and others of lesser celebrity weren't given that kind of pass when making so-called "racist" remarks, and neither should Charles Barkley. TNT should say they will not tolerate blatant racism and bigotry, and Barkley was clearly guilty of both and has been terminated. That's what TNT should have told you.

ibda12u
02-11-2006, 12:04 AM
It was reported that Charles visited Coaches in OKlahoma in 1994. That was the last time he was down here. Totally not acceptable. He's in the same boat at Mayor Nagin.

Patrick
02-11-2006, 12:46 AM
This is the same dude that said God told him he was going to beat the Chicago Bulls in the Finals back in the early 90's. Goes to show you can't believe anything he says.

I wonder who the dude's servants are?

Curt
02-11-2006, 07:39 AM
It just goes to show that it's ok for Blacks to make racist comments and suffer no repercusions but if a white guy had said it he'd have been fired.I am so sick of this double standard that society has created. After reading more of what Barkley has said I am also going to contact TNT but they arent going to like the way I say things, too bad.

mranderson
02-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Lame and insulting response from TNT. They should have fired him - period. This whole "it's just Barkley being Barkley" shouldn't wash. Howard Cosell, Rush Limbaugh and others of lesser celebrity weren't given that kind of pass when making so-called "racist" remarks, and neither should Charles Barkley. TNT should say they will not tolerate blatant racism and bigotry, and Barkley was clearly guilty of both and has been terminated. That's what TNT should have told you.

Anyone remember Jimmy the Greek Snyder? He was a sports analyist on CBS and said blacks run faster because they have bigger thighs. He was fired for that comment. This was in the early 80's. Oh. By the way. He was white.

windowphobe
02-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Contrary to popular belief, there exists no right, in the Constitution or elsewhere, not to have your feelings hurt.

I spent a summer in the Home for the Bewildered after a severe breakdown. The two most salient lessons learned therein:

1. You are entitled to your emotional responses, whatever they may be.

2. But nobody else gives a [fill in suitable noun].

Not even in Detroit ("New Orleans without humidity").

Karried
02-11-2006, 08:43 AM
If you feel compelled to write and invite Charles Barkley to a Hornet's game or to tell the management how you feel about him .. here you go:

tnt@turner.com (tnt@turner.com)
jeff.pomeroy@turner.com (jeff.pomeroy@turner.com)

My feelings are that we've worked so hard to create positive reactions from people around the country and one loud mouth jerk just obliterated months of positive PR especially for those who have never been here - why would they want to come if you have people spouting off about a 'vast wasteland'?

It just pisses me off, my feelings aren't hurt. I'm mad as hell that he said stupid things he knows nothing about and he is getting away with it. I'm sure this has the fans in NO gloating.

I think the only way it would make it better is if he does come to OKC for a big game - the Cavs? He has an open invitation from the Art's Museum, a Hotel offer, a limo offer ( I thought I heard) and tickets to all kinds of events here in OKC. He needs to visit the Memorial and all of our attractions and then he can comment on our state, not before.

I think he once came to Norman 12 years ago - and yes, we didn't have what we have now but he doesn't know that and he needs to come see what has changed.

Curt
02-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Why would anyone offer him anything after the comments he made, he certainly does not deserve it.I still have to pay my way everytime I come and I have nothing but good things to say about OKC, he did not.I would not offer him a thing, with all his money he can afford it on his own. Then again, why would you want him there? He and Nagin should start their own city.

sweetdaisy
02-11-2006, 09:05 AM
What I don't understand is why everyone is bending over backward to get this idiot here. A hotel offer? A limo offer? Tickets to all kinds of events? That's madness! I know we want the nation to understand that we are not living in a "vast wasteland", but why do we need some blowhard like Barkley to come here to prove it? We have the Hornets who talk it up time and again! And others in the national spotlight who recognize the accomplishments of OKC and all that it has to offer!

The thing that makes me really angry is his racist remarks. That ignorance and ugliness sickens me. THAT is what I want him to apologize for...and I cannot believe TNT would just gloss it over like it's no big deal. How insulting to the state's African Americans who are happy and thrive here and take pride in what they've helped to build in Oklahoma! For that matter, how insulting to all of us who live here and work to promote tolerance and good relationships with people of all races, beliefs, etc.

Personally, I don't want that bigot here. And I sure don't want our state leadership bending over backward to "prove" something to him. That kind of ignorance and hate cannot be "cured" by a trip to the Memorial.

sweetdaisy
02-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Ha ha, Mariner! We're on the same wavelength! (ACK! Scary!)

BTW, Karried, I emailed TNT yesterday, but I haven't even had the pleasure of the lame response you received. :) Oh, but there's still hope!

Curt
02-11-2006, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=sweetdaisy]Ha ha, Mariner! We're on the same wavelength! (ACK! Scary!)
QUOTE]
LOL...Daisy yer funny..you'll be just fine hun.

I emailed TNT also, so we will see what they send me back.

Curt
02-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I would just like to say that offering this man anything free to come to your city, just so he can see what a mistake he made with his mouth, is like rewarding him for his ignorance, or giving a prisoner his chunky peanut butter. Hell, offer me a free trip for god sakes for all the times I have been there on my own dime and never said a bad thing:spin:

BDP
02-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Man, we are a sensitive group. I'm not a big fan, but I think Berry Trammel's article today on the subject was great:

http://newsok.com/article/1758728/?template=home/main

Like he says, Barkley is clown, that's what he's paid to be. Yes, his remarks were inaccurate but they were bad stereotypical jokes more than earnest sentiments. Of course, he mentioned race, so the conservative reaction will be to turn it into a PC pissing contest, complete with the recurring plea of "why can't I be openly racist, too". It really is ridiculous.

The truth is that there is a lack of perception problem with Oklahoma. A lot of people make jokes based on the same sentiment Barkley did, but they freely admit they don't really know what they are talking about. It's just like many Oklahomans who constantly rip on big cities, but have never lived in one and act as if they know all about it.

Personally, I like how many Oklahomans have simply jabbed back at Barkley in the spirit it was intended. It was hilarious last night when the winner of the MidFirst sign contest was announced and the PA guy said "and Charles Barkley will be right over to give you your prize". I also agree with Trammel that it would be productive to look at what creates this perception and take steps to eliminate it. It would certainly be better than just freaking out and being all pissy about it.

Karried
02-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I think you are right about not inviting him here. I just want him to see how wrong he is about our state and then publicly admit that he was wrong about his racist comments.

I do think maybe he was trying to be funny and to get a reaction, and he did ... but like I said, it bothers me that the stereotypical perceptions of people are validated or reinforced.

jbrown84
02-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Maybe he should come visit my church where white people, black people, hispanics, asians, and native americans all worship freely together.

writerranger
02-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Of course, he mentioned race, so the conservative reaction will be to turn it into a PC pissing contest, complete with the recurring plea of "why can't I be openly racist, too". It really is ridiculous.

No. Your response is the new "PC" comeback for when blacks get away with blatantly racist comments when a white person would be fired in a similar situation. It isn't a "pissing contest" and "why can't I be a racist too" thing at all. In fact, to use that comeback (as you did, I believe, when Nagin made his Chocolate City remarks) is nothing less than cultural appeasement to the race baiters who just WAIT for white people to "offend". What you and others are doing with this new meme is to again reverse the problem from a black person's blatant racism and blame the WHITE person for considering it a problem. We're just too sensitive, you say. We want to be racist too, you say. No, the blame shifting won't work. This was a black sportscaster saying a city wasn't a good city for black people and alluding to his only "brothers" being with the Sooners and Hornets. That is simply disgusting. And it won't work to lay the blame at the feet of white people because they have a problem with the double-standards when it comes to race, especially when it is so clearly obvious what would have happened had it been reversed. Pointing out these double-standards is long overdue, and attempts to stifle this discussion with talking points from the NAACP, won't work. It is a cultural problem that must be dealt with. As long as the Barkleys and Nagins get away with racist talk and keep their jobs, while whites are demonized and disgraced (while many times wrongly accused of racism), some of us will continue to ask - WHY?

Curt
02-11-2006, 04:15 PM
No. Your response is the new "PC" comeback for when blacks get away with blatantly racist comments when a white person would be fired in a similar situation. It isn't a "pissing contest" and "why can't I be a racist too" thing at all. In fact, to use that comeback (as you did, I believe, when Nagin made his Chocolate City remarks) is nothing less than cultural appeasement to the race baiters who just WAIT for white people to "offend". What you and others are doing with this new meme is to again reverse the problem from a black person's blatant racism and blame the WHITE person for considering it a problem. We're just too sensitive, you say. We want to be racist too, you say. No, the blame shifting won't work. This was a black sportscaster saying a city wasn't a good city for black people and alluding to his only "brothers" being with the Sooners and Hornets. That is simply disgusting. And it won't work to lay the blame at the feet of white people because they have a problem with the double-standards when it comes to race, especially when it is so clearly obvious what would have happened had it been reversed. Pointing out these double-standards is long overdue, and attempts to stifle this discussion with talking points from the NAACP, won't work. It is a cultural problem that must be dealt with. As long as the Barkleys and Nagins get away with racist talk and keep their jobs, while whites are demonized and disgraced (while many times wrongly accused of racism), some of us will continue to ask - WHY?

Amen Brother. It will never change as long as we have people who will just stand there staring at the ground and not doing anything to change it. It's the same though with any race, it's ok to bash white people, but god forbid a white guy even makes a joke about another race of people or he'll be drawn and quarterd.

Karried
02-11-2006, 06:50 PM
I think people will always get away with it because the excuse will
always be minority rights ..

BricktownGuy
02-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Henry blasts Barkley for comments about Oklahoma
February 10, 2006

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry blasted Charles Barkley on Friday after the former NBA star said the state was "no place for black people." "Obviously, Charles Barkley doesn't know what he's talking about," Henry said in a statement. "Anyone who follows Barkley knows he's notorious for saying ridiculous things that have no basis in fact, and this case is a perfect example."

Barkley, now a TNT analyst, made his comments during a discussion about New Orleans Hornets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nor/) rookie Chris Paul (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3930/) on the network's All-Star selection show.

"The Oklahoma Sooners and the Hornets are the only brothers in town," Barkley said.

Barkley also teased Paul, asking if he had chickens and cows in his yard.

The Hornets temporarily relocated to Oklahoma City this season following the damage to New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina. Last month, the NBA announced that the Hornets will play 35 games in Oklahoma City and six in New Orleans in 2006-07.

Updated on Friday, Feb 10, 2006 5:50 pm EST

BFizzy
02-13-2006, 08:12 AM
After looking at some of Charles Barkley's quotes, I think we look pretty stupid for reacting to what he said about Oklahoma. What he said was inaccurate and inappropriate, but he says so many stupid remarks that it makes us look bad for actually caring what he thinks. He is an equal opportunity offender. Look at some of these...

"Sports are a detriment to blacks, not a positive. You have a society now where every black kid in the country thinks the only way he can be successful is through athletics."

When asked why blacks excel at basketball: "It doesn't cost anything to play."

While watching someone in Australia put $1 million worth of rubies on a table: "Damn, must not be any black folks in Australia. You can't just leave $1 million worth of jewelry lying around the 'hood."

"Man, there's nothing in the world that makes me as nervous as seeing white people dance."

When asked to say something about the L.A. Sports Arena: "This place? Nothing positive. OK, I want to say something positive. It's positively a dump."

"I'm not going to argue with you, Ernie. I'll hit you in the left eye."

To Kenny the Jet, who was late to work: "When we say go on at seven, that don't mean black folk time."

"People who talk on the radio are idiots. It's the worst thing that ever happened to sports -- talk radio."

"Golf is, by far and away, the most racist sport in the world"

"Black people get treated like crap in this country. White folks who don't have money get treated like crap. So listen, if you don't like it - Don't watch! Okay Ernie, let's talk about basketball."

"You know like you go to a big city they have like Ruth's Chris or Morton's Steakhouse? If you in a small town you gonna get a Sizzler and that's it."

Charles (To Kenny) : We both think you're ugly
Kenny: I'd rather be smart than beautiful
Charles: Well you're 0-2 (0 for 2)

On Phil Jackson handing out books to his team: "He needs to give that team a Bible. Only God can help them. They're terrible."

On playing a celebrity golf tournament: "As long as Chris Webber is playing, I know I won't come in dead last. I know I can at least beat him."

Discussing the revisionist, positive views on Ronald Reagan:
"Let me say this on that. I don't go to funerals anymore. Because, every time you go to a funeral, even if the person's an ******* you have to sit there and listen to what a great guy they were. And, that's why I refuse to go to funerals anymore. THAT'S THE TRUTH! (He) can be the biggest ******* in the world, but when you go to someone's funeral, you say, 'I'm at the wrong funeral!'"

I took these quotes from http://www.clintcam.com/barkley/

metro
02-13-2006, 10:40 AM
In addition to the email addresses already posted (probably call center employees). I emailed the board of directors at Turner Television and all their upper level management. 6 emails got returned but these seemed to have got through, here you go, its worth a shot:

louise.sams@turner.com; kelly.regal@turner.com; mark.lazarus@turner.com; jim.walton@turner.com; andrew.heller@turner.com; david.levy@turner.com; scott.teissler@turner.com

metro
02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
I copied all the executives above and got this response back.

QUOTE]Charles will address the situation on air on Thursday. He has been spoken to about it and feels badly that his comments have angered viewers. Please tune in. Thanks.[[/QUOTE]
: Re: Barkley's comments

Jeff,

Did you read my original email? This is the form response you have given to everyone, it is posted all over the internet. Clearly you did not read my original email as it requested you did not give me your form response but actually read and respond proactively and not reactively. Your form statement leaves me to believe TNT is endorsing reverse discrimination and racism.

I think TNT should make it clear they do not tolerate racism and address the issue instead of ignoring it. I await an honest, sincere, personally written reply.

Thanks,

- a former viewer

sweetdaisy
02-13-2006, 03:59 PM
metro, that is AWESOME! Way to go!

:yourock:

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Wow, Welcome to the world of Charles Barkley. A world where logic and acceracy have no place. The only way out is to ignore the joker. I have successfully not listened to a word he says since 1987. What he say again?

;)

BFizzy
02-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Did anyone catch Sir Charles on Letterman last night? What did he say about OKC?

jbrown84
02-16-2006, 03:14 PM
He said "they're SO sensitive!", and that when he was growing up in Alabama, he didn't hear black people saying they can't wait to move to Oklahoma. He said he'd been here once, but "didn't notice" if we had black people.

In the end he said "I love Oklahoma" in kind of a mocking, sarcastic, quasi-apology.

sweetdaisy
02-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Oh, goodie, goodie. Sir Chuckles is coming to OKC.

Kelly Ogle's interviewing him right now and Charles just told anyone who was offended to "get a life".

The sad thing is, he doesn't even know what he said. "I didn't say "it's no place for black people", I said there's no black people there." Ummm...watch the clip, Charles.

I'm officially on board with the folks who said he's just an idiot being an idiot.

Curt
02-16-2006, 09:40 PM
I really hope no one offers him any freebies or a warm welcome. He does not deserve it, he would only go back and tell his "brothers" bad things about it.This loser does not deserve to be treated like a king.

TStheThird
02-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Who the hell cares about Charles Barkley? It is busch league to get this worked up about his comments. I know that we are trying to prove to the world that we are "big time", so... lets act like it. Big time cities don't care what Charles Barkley says about them.

I feel that the way this thing has gone down has caused more damage than his comments. That is just one man's opinion...

John
02-16-2006, 10:32 PM
I feel that the way this thing has gone down has caused more damage than his comments. That is just one man's opinion...

I felt the same way, but there is a good chance with him coming, we'll finally get a game on national television with Charles and the rest of the TNT gang. If that happens, there will be a lot of good that came from his silly statement and 'our' response.

:tweeted:

metro
02-17-2006, 07:43 AM
I thought Kelly Ogle's stunt wasn't helping the matter but either way national press coverage is national press coverage. Charles did contradict himself to save his butt, but Kelly and the rest of the good ole' boy Channel 9 gang didn't do a good job of shedding the "hick image" they are trying to disprove. The channel 9 gang was talking a little too "down home" and when they asked where they should take him and showed video clips all they came up with was a buffalo statue, marble slab, and the national cowboy hall of fame and western heritage museum? And one guy on the street they interviewed said Bricktown is the only cool place in Oklahoma. Need I go there? Boy they sure showed him! Yeah when you come Charles, Kelly will show you a buffalo statue, Cowboy Museum, and then nice cooking of Marble Slab chain restaurant! We need to raise public awareness more than worrying about what Sir Charles thinks.

sweetdaisy
02-17-2006, 08:30 AM
I completely agree, metro. I'm afraid with "tour guides" like Kelly Ogle, we're going to be in for a bigger beating from Chuck after he does visit!

Patrick
02-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Take him to Crossroads Mall. That will show him upscale shopping in OKC.

Patrick
02-17-2006, 08:33 AM
It didn't help the Kelly Ogle gave him a cow tipping t-shirt either. I know it was a joke, but still.

keving
02-17-2006, 09:00 AM
What places (restaraunts, museums, sites, etc) should Charles, or any other "celebrity" visitor be taken to in Oklahoma City?

Karried
02-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Let's start a new thread.... where to take Charles Barkley - I'll do it now..

metro
02-17-2006, 09:13 AM
I completely agree, metro. I'm afraid with "tour guides" like Kelly Ogle, we're going to be in for a bigger beating from Chuck after he does visit!

sweetdaisy, I agree thus my original statement, they just might accomplish the opposite of what they are trying. I emailed Channel 9 about the potential reprocusions they set themselves up for last night and I encourage each of you who feel obligated to do so as well.

floater
02-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Take him to Crossroads Mall. That will show him upscale shopping in OKC.

Lol. Kelly Ogle probably shouldn't be the tour guide. What people miss (not just Okies), when they take people around town is that museums by themselves aren't interesting. What people want to see is other people -- on the street, shopping, enjoying the nightlife. What do people of a city enjoy doing? Well, I know nobody who goes to the Cowboy Museum every weekend.

It reminds me of when an Philippine ambassador came by for an event, and for lunch, the members of our protocol team took him to Golden Corral. I nearly pulled my all my hair out when I found out. I was told he had a funny look on his face as he was sliding his tray over.

My suggestions for an itinerary:
Deep Fork Grill
Penn Square
50 Penn Place
Gold Dome/Grand House/Super Cao Nguyen
Paseo Arts District
The Mantel
Maker's Cigar Lounge/Straight Up
City Walk
Water Taxi
Stockyards City cattle auctions(it is part of who we are)
Film @ Museum of Art's Noble Theater/Cocktails on the Skyline
Capitol Hill
Rowing Lessons @ Chesapeake Boathouse
PHF Research Park/OU Medical Center
State Capitol
Taste of Soul/Ralph Ellison Library
Oak Tree or Lincoln West golf
Biking/Sunset at Red Rock Canyon Grill at Lake Hefner

floater
02-17-2006, 09:31 AM
We should put in a sports bar and Remington Park in there somewhere...