View Full Version : Scrap Metals

Oki_Man5
02-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Aluminum Cans, copper and such even catalytic converters.

If you have any scrap gathered up and you want to get rid of it, Now seems to be the time to sell it.

I am a junk man; I have been piling up aluminum, copper, brass, catalytic converters etc for years to the point I almost must sell at lease one pile of it or move the pile.

I took a small really small load of a sampling of each type junk I had the other day---a really short bFord pickup was filled about half way from the floor to the top with a weee bit of copper, the load was mostly aluminum, a couple of car radiators, three catalytic converters---just scrap metals.

My wife and I discussed how much we might get for it as we went in---we kinda was hoping for $100.00. The money paid to us for the very small load was $484.15.

The intent here is if you have been hoarding some metals to sell at some date (I was going to save this pile for my later years and sell it in spurts as I might want something, but I really have to get this pile out of the way.}, take it over on Shields somewhere around 44th and S. Shields. Aluminum Cans are bringing an-unheard-of $0.75 per pound.

Have a great day, and happy recycling.

Pete (One who loves Junk.)

Curt
02-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Pete, that is very good money for that little bit of scrap. I think it is important we recycle as much as we can, and that goes for everything.

MadMonk
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Wow! At that rate it becomes a lot more worthwhile to recycle aluminum cans. I remember when it was around $.32/pound and that was considered pretty good at the time.

Karried
02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Wow, that probably would add up very nicely over time -- thanks for the info!

Oki_Man5
02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
My aluminum can pile all flattened mercilessly would probably fill a 12' X 12' X 8'tall room, and it is still growing; it will be a nightmare hauling all of it, but unless the price goes way down, I intend to clear it all out and begin collecting anew---it took about 10 years to get the amount I have---just as a hobby now; it is not a business.

metro
02-10-2006, 12:58 PM
I hope you would recycle for the sake of the environment and not polluting yards and junkyards. It's time we get stricter as a city on this regardless of the money to be made. Code Enforcement is doing a great job but we could do alot better as a community

MadMonk
02-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Nope, just for the money. However, I don't throw my trash into "yards and junkyards". Thats what trashcans are for.

Oki_Man5
02-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I hope you would recycle for the sake of the environment and not polluting yards and junkyards. It's time we get stricter as a city on this regardless of the money to be made. Code Enforcement is doing a great job but we could do alot better as a community

I guess I wonder what is wrong with thinking about the money. Hey, Metro, when you are walking thru a parking lot and see a can or nail or bolt or scrap of wire or whatever, do you pick it up, or do you just say: "Dangit! Someone threw that on the ground." And walk right on by it? I pick it up and throw it into the back of the pickup---I figure I am doing the motoring public a favor by getting the tire-puncturing pieces off the path.

By the way, I leave the trash right where I see it.

Update on selling it:

Today, I filled the pickup almost to the top of the bed with long pieces of aluminum---They were longer than the bed with the tailgate down, so they stuck out the back about a foot (Nine feet total length of the long pieces).

Then, on top of the long pieces (Now, the long pieces were random lengths and different weights---just scrap pieces of aluminum.), I put the aluminum parts of barbecue grills as a cover, then I put aluminum car wheels in the grill parts.

I sold that stuff, and I got $865.65 for it.

I fixed three boxes of copper wire and tubing, and I had them in the back seat of the pickup---just small boxes, and I gave her one catalytic converter---this all fit easily on the floor with the back seats folded up.

Wife got $332.98 for her stuff.

Then, I went to Sams (Kinda like Wal-Mart) and bought myself a new computer with the money (All of my part of today's sale and part of Tuesday's sale.) It has a 19" LCD monitor and AMD Athlon 3800 speed and 1 Gig of RAM and such---I did not buy the Dual-Core. I do not do anything that would make me have a need for the faster computer.

And I am not going to modify the computer.

I figure I have about 30 more loads unless I begin hauling it in earnest on my 16-foot trailer.

OH! Cans were $0.80 today---up $0.05 from Tuesday.

Happy Recycling!

Keith
02-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I guess I wonder what is wrong with thinking about the money. Hey, Metro, when you are walking thru a parking lot and see a can or nail or bolt or scrap of wire or whatever, do you pick it up, or do you just say: "Dangit! Someone threw that on the ground." And walk right on by it? I pick it up and throw it into the back of the pickup---I figure I am doing the motoring public a favor by getting the tire-puncturing pieces off the path.

By the way, I leave the trash right where I see it.

Update on selling it:

Today, I filled the pickup almost to the top of the bed with long pieces of aluminum---They were longer than the bed with the tailgate down, so they stuck out the back about a foot (Nine feet total length of the long pieces).

Then, on top of the long pieces (Now, the long pieces were random lengths and different weights---just scrap pieces of aluminum.), I put the aluminum parts of barbecue grills as a cover, then I put aluminum car wheels in the grill parts.

I sold that stuff, and I got $865.65 for it.

I fixed three boxes of copper wire and tubing, and I had them in the back seat of the pickup---just small boxes, and I gave her one catalytic converter---this all fit easily on the floor with the back seats folded up.

Wife got $332.98 for her stuff.

Then, I went to Sams (Kinda like Wal-Mart) and bought myself a new computer with the money (All of my part of today's sale and part of Tuesday's sale.) It has a 19" LCD monitor and AMD Athlon 3800 speed and 1 Gig of RAM and such---I did not buy the Dual-Core. I do not do anything that would make me have a need for the faster computer.

And I am not going to modify the computer.

I figure I have about 30 more loads unless I begin hauling it in earnest on my 16-foot trailer.

OH! Cans were $0.80 today---up $0.05 from Tuesday.

Happy Recycling!
Impressive! You are da' man.

I think the recycling place you are talking about is on the east side of Shields, about 5 blocks north of SE.59th. That's where I take my cans......but I don't have that many. Compare my $4 to your $865.65.

BTW, congrats on getting a new computer. I guess that means you will be posting more on the forum....:tweeted:

Oki_Man5
02-11-2006, 05:26 AM
OK! Wife has been wanting one of the LCD displays, so right now, I am going to swap this 19" LCD display that came with the new computer for her old CRT 17" monitor. You reckon I should charge her for it, or should I expect some kind of nice reward that is above and beyond the normal "call of duty"?

sweetdaisy
02-11-2006, 09:32 AM
OMG, Pete! That is absolutely unbelievable! Thanks for sharing this information. Maybe I should be better about my can recycling.... :)

Karried
02-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Pete, I know where I'm headed with my pick up truck, how much stuff did you say you had left??

That's amazing.. I'll have to drink a lot of beer! LOL

Oki_Man5
02-11-2006, 03:58 PM
I have firepower too if you try to get into my probably 30 more loads the size of the last load. LOL

I just looked where I had my catalytic converter stash too, and I was amazed at how many of them I had put in there over the years; I figured I might have 10 or so. And most of the ones I readily saw were twice as big as the ones that brought $50.00 each.

LOL The price will probably drop to half what it is now by tomorrow...for sure by the next time I load up some more of it.

rxis
04-17-2006, 02:44 PM
i guess it makes sense with the commodities going up.

travich
05-12-2006, 10:38 AM
So don't tell me that the fence I threw away could have been sold to these guys. I'm giong to f'ing kick myself