View Full Version : Ann's Chicken Fry

metro
02-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Ate there the other night with my girlfriend. Driven by it and have been curious about it for years. It's a Route 66 icon. I'm big on chicken fried steak and was recommended to order it here by another OKCtalker. The food was average at best, a little colder than I would of liked but okay. The service was lousy to say the best, in fact it was poor. The waitresses were beyond retirement age (not that I have anything against that), but that they were rude, forgot to bring out part of our order, never asked if we needed anything else, didn't fill up ours or anyone's drinks unless someone stopped the waitresses and told them. The only thing I will give them credit for is the nostalgic pieces of memorabilia on the wall. Originals probably from the last 50-60 years. Probably worth tens of thousands of dollars if you were to sell it.

If you want good old fashioned food, particularly chicken fried steak, go to another classic, Chuck House over on 10th and Meridian.:chef:

Pete
08-15-2006, 12:42 PM
It's hard to find good CFS here in Cali, so it's the one meal I usually seek out when in OKC.

I've been to the Chuck House and it was okay but nothing to get excited about. For a more upscale meal, I like the Cheever's version but it's not truly authentic.

And believe it or not, Grandys does a pretty good job with CFS and as an added bonus they serve small versions on the breakfast bar.

Anybody else have a good rec for chicken fried steak in the OKC area?

Martin
08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
it's a stretch for calling it okc metro, but kendall's in purcell and noble is perhaps the best chicken fry i've had. their normal portion covers an entire large plate and they have a large portion. their prices are reasonable, too. since i'm not in norman any longer, i don't get to go often. every time i've been, though, the food and the service have been great

as for metro area, the cfs at soda pop's on 119th & western in south okc isn't too shabby.

-M

keving
08-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Anybody else have a good rec for chicken fried steak in the OKC area?
Toby Keith's is pretty good and you will have enough for another meal. Seriously, it's ginormous.

In Guthrie, there's Stables Cafe. Their CFS is pretty tasty.

Pete
08-15-2006, 01:33 PM
mmm, thanks for reminding me about Kendall's.

I've never been but have heard great things about it.

I know they had a Norman location for a while, too.

Easy180
08-15-2006, 01:41 PM
mmm is right the cfs at Soda Pops is excellent and the Chuck House is also very good...not exactly cfs but the chicken fried chicken at Cracker Barrel is another of my favorites

y_h
08-15-2006, 01:50 PM
When I lived off 39th (out by Lake Overholser) my roommate and I would hit Ann's every now and then (this is going back 14 years). I was never a CFS fan, but they had the absolute best chicken fried chicken I've ever eaten. It was pounded so thin that it was nearly the size of the platter it was served on and boy was it ever tender. One twist I used to request was to get it with their garlic salad dressing rather than gravy. My arteries are clogging just thinking about it. From the description of the wait staff above, it seems like the same crew is still working there! That could explain why things have slowed a step or three.

Stinger
08-15-2006, 02:49 PM
I had a cheever's cfs last week. The meat was a little tough, but the flavor of the whole meal was great.

quailcreekgal
08-15-2006, 03:32 PM
I go to Ann's regularly and I've never had bad service - always a friendly greeting, quick to take our order, great comfort food delivered quickly and as ordered plus lots of tea and water refills. Takeout orders are always correct as well. They don't try to become your new best friend but the ladies do the job they are supposed to do - take your order and serve the food.

metro
08-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I still think Chuck House is the best around, although it isn't quite as good as it used to be. Again, Ann's didn't really impress me. And I thought Toby Keiths CFS was just plain nasty although he is right on the big portion. Grandy's is okay, and believe it or not I think KFC's is pretty good too, you get the entire meal for $1.99 on Wednesday's. I'm shocked on how good theirs actually is. It's breaded with their old fashioned recipe. It comes with two sides and a biscuit. The only downside is it takes about 3 of the meals to fill me up.

rocket60s
08-16-2006, 04:46 AM
What about Del Rancho? They have a good cfs. I liked soda pops until I saw a roach run across the table.

Easy180
08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
one roach doesn't necessarily mean anything...had one on my table at Ted's N-side, but definitely won't stop going there because of it...now if it's a pattern then may change my mind...those freakin things could survive a nuclear holocaust so it's not necessarily the restaurants fault

quailcreekgal
08-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Where is Soda Pops! I don't get out much.

Easy180
08-17-2006, 11:11 AM
it's a long drive for you quailcreek...on SW 119th & Western...a good old time diner

metro
08-17-2006, 11:36 AM
I guess Del Rancho is okay too. Speaking of which, does anyone agree they set their own demise? They used to be a fairly large chain. My theory is they never reinvested their money in the company. The stores are often outdated and often in high-crime or industrial areas.

Pete
08-17-2006, 06:50 PM
As much as I love CFS and don't mind hole-in-the-wall places, I don't think I've ever been in a Del Rancho, which says a lot.

Authetically dive-y places are one thing, but a fast food chain had better look pretty spic-and-span. All the Del Racho's I've seen look tired and dirty.

And I did a search, and couldn't even find a website for them.

sweetdaisy
08-17-2006, 07:57 PM
The best CFS in OKC is my Grandma's...it's AMAZING!

I will also agree about Del Rancho...they have an excellent Steak Sandwich Supreme.

Other than that, has anyone tried the CFS at Don's Alley in Del City? It's usually pretty darn good. Relatively large portion, good salad, great veggies (you get to choose), yummy yeast rolls, and mashed potatoes & gravy. The only drawback is their gravy tends to need some seasoning. (a little salt & pepper usually does the trick.) I'm pretty happy with the meal whenever I've eaten there.

Martin
08-17-2006, 09:22 PM
the thing with del rancho is that when most of their places were built, those neighborhoods weren't high crime/industrial areas. it's totally true that they didn't reinvest wisely. while the drive-in concept has pretty much been abandoned, sonic continues to make a really good run at it. with better strategic management, del rancho coulda made it too.

and for the record, i too like the steak sandwich supreme... with cheese and bacon. and yes, i know that's a sin.

chuck house scores pretty high with me, too. the bricktown brewery used to have pretty good chicken fry, but i think their food isn't as good as when they first opened. -M

davido
08-19-2006, 03:48 PM
How about the onion barrel on 44th and S High. I haven't benn in a while, but the last time I was there it was good. you can watch them hand make it.
there was a great Del Rancho on NE 23rd by the capital it's gone now :( Grandy's? Good food? those 2 don't even go together. del rancho in Moore is fairly good.
Kendalls used to be in Norman they had a giant CFS it was thin but good and great cinnimon rolls

rocket60s
08-20-2006, 12:08 AM
I may be wrong but I believe Del Rancho is local. It's been around a long time & the one on S.W. 33 & Western was the first one (I think). It doesn't have inside sitting but I choose to believe it's pretty clean. The one on S.W.44 west of Penn wasn't but it's been closed for quite awhile. As far as location... I don't know that it's actually higher crime than alot of other metro areas. Maybe I just feel safer because I've lived southwest okc for over 50 years.

metro
08-21-2006, 02:48 PM
I may be wrong but I believe Del Rancho is local. It's been around a long time & the one on S.W. 33 & Western was the first one (I think).

Yes, Del Rancho is local. I don't think anyone above ever stated elsewise either.