View Full Version : Major Leaguers opening Bricktown club

metro
02-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Major leaguers to open nightclub in Bricktown
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006
By Heidi R. Centrella

hcentrella@okcbusiness.com

THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN REMOVED AT THE REQUEST OF THE PUBLISHER.
--------------------------------
Gentlemen:
The article on your Web site, okctalk.com, entitled Major Leaguers To Open Nightclub In Bricktown, by Heidi Centrella, is a copyrighted story belonging to Parkway Publishing Co., LLC, doing business as OKCBusiness and okcbusiness.com. You did not seek permission from the corporation to reprint the story on your Web site.
We hereby demande that you immediately remove the article from your Web site. If the article is not removed from you site by Thursday, February 16th, we will seek legal means to have it removed.

Linda Meoli
Vice President, Operations
OKCBusiness
--------------------------------

I would like to remind everyone we DO have a copyright policy in place and it must be followed. I agree with the position of OKCBusiness.com and Linda Meoli. I just think this situation was handled with a complete lack of class. A simple....hey I ran across a post would you mind type of email would have sufficed. Resorting to threats and strong arm tactics is just plain stupid and class-less. I provided a link to our copyright policy below.

I would also like too point out WE (OKCTalk) did not reprint anything. It was posted by a user on a public message board and removed once notifed of the violation.

http://www.okctalk.com/forum-rules/4-please-read.html (http://www.okctalk.com/forum-rules/4-please-read.html)

jbrown84
02-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Sounds good I guess. I don't know much about clubs.

blabare
02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Very cool... I am new to town and looking for a part time DJ job. I am going to go apply :)

TheImmortal
02-08-2006, 10:14 PM
This is definantly a good thing. For one, it will only improve OKC's image to have another high class club in the Bricktown area....2 right next to each other at that(Pure). Second of all, Bricktown Live will be expanding and more than likely bringing even bigger acts to the downtown area. A win win situation here.

TheImmortal
02-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Sorry hit the post button twice.

metro
02-09-2006, 11:27 AM
blabare, welcome to OKC, what type of music do you spin? where you coming from?

HOT ROD
02-10-2006, 04:47 PM
This is definantly a good thing. For one, it will only improve OKC's image to have another high class club in the Bricktown area....2 right next to each other at that(Pure). Second of all, Bricktown Live will be expanding and more than likely bringing even bigger acts to the downtown area. A win win situation here.

Totally Agree. YES!

This IS great news for Downtown OKC!!

Continue the Renaissance!!!!

blabare
02-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Metro: Mostly top 40 and some trance/techno now and then. The club I used to work at was mostly top 40, but we did a few nights with real club music. I'm not into vinyl that much, just a cd jock. My friends think I am crazy... I go to a club with them and I am listening to the mixing and checking out the lights.... not the hot ladies :)

BG918
02-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Sounds cool, where is Bricktown Live relocating?

OklahomaNightLife
02-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I agree, this type of expansion can only continue to make Bricktown a better area.

swake
02-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Um, they could have an issue with the name, there is a club in Tulsa in Brookside already called Suede and it also is an "ultra bar" format.

That's just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

swake
02-15-2006, 10:39 AM
http://www.suedetulsa.com/

John
02-15-2006, 10:52 AM
There is a bar by the name of Suede in many, many cities.

Unless they steal the logo or something, there is no ground the Tulsa club has to stand on.

swake
02-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Usually can't have a like business with the same name in the same state....

OklahomaNightLife
02-15-2006, 12:25 PM
I'd be interested to see how that one would work out, when I originally read the article I had the same thought. I know there are other clubs / bars in Oklahoma that have the same name though and they are owned by different people. I wonder if it would come down to Legal business name and the name they do business as or something similar.

John
02-15-2006, 12:28 PM
The official name of Tulsa's club is 'Suede Ultra Lounge', while the Bricktown joint will be called 'Suede'. Different, as far as business names go.

Midtowner
02-15-2006, 01:02 PM
As to the content being removed. It's unexplored territory, but the reproduction of a news article on a website could easily be considered free use.

It's just that ISP's would rather pull the plug on their customers than fight a legal battle to determine their customers' rights. Too bad.

John
02-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Tulsa's club can change their name, since they're not a major league city. :biggrin:

metro
02-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I don't think the Suede name will be an issue unless they steal a trademark or logo. You can have the same name in the same state usually. Look at California , Texas or Florida with many major cities. I've seen several with the same name and that were not affiliated. It goes down to copyright infringement more than anything

swake
02-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Tulsa's club can change their name, since they're not a major league city. :biggrin:

Yeah, why don't you go and whine some more to Charles Barkley about how many people buy the idea that OKC is major.

Brawwwk. Brawwk.

HOT ROD
02-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Charles who?

BDP
02-17-2006, 09:03 AM
You can have the same name in the same state usually. Look at California , Texas or Florida with many major cities.

Very true. While I prefer to see original names, there are unaffilitaed clubs and restuarants all over the country with the same or similar names. It comes down to if they are using trademarks in a way to misrepresent or deceive.