View Full Version : Town Square

TStheThird
07-09-2004, 10:39 AM
I have heard that some local developers are teaming up to build a Town Square north of Bricktown and Deep Deuce. I think this would be great if it happened. Living in Italy the past six months, I have really enjoyed all of the festivities in Piazza Maggiore. It is the main piazza in Bologna.

It seems as though they have something new going on in the piazza every weekend. This month, they have built a giant movie screen at one end of the piazza and a projector house at the other. They have set up about 500-1000 chairs and they show a new movie every night. Last week I watched Master and Commander and Space Odessy. Many more people come and sit at the sidewalk cafes and even just on the ground and watch the movies. It is quite a time.

Where am I going with this? I think that building a town square could be amazing if the number of poeple living downtown continues to increase. I know that they are building many more downtown living options and that many are on the table. That is great. With a large number of people living downtown, a town square could become a center for community events.

A couple weeks ago, they had booths set up in Piazza Maggiore. Local farmers came and set displays of food and wine. It was great. I sampled many a fine wine and also bought a couple of bottles. This went on for a week. Also in the piazzq, you will occasionally see street performers. The most famous is a guy names Beppe... he rides up on a Harley that has speakers attached to the back and and PA system. He players music and plays lead guitar. It is crazy. I will post some pics of some of this stuff when I get back to Oklahoma next week.

A town square could be great and could really bring a community together and create a unique atmosphere. What are your thoughts?

Patrick
07-09-2004, 12:11 PM
I think a Town Square would be great. Building it in that location would probably help revive the nearby Flatiron district as well. I just hope it doesn't draw people away from Bricktown though.
A town square similar in nature to that in Santa Fe, New Mexico, with shops and cafes surrounding it, would be just lovely.

floater
07-09-2004, 01:55 PM
The Flatiron area was discussed as part of a push for further housing at the Mayor's Development Roundtable. It includes Auto Alley, Deep Deuce, and Bricktown:

http://www.okc.gov/planning/roundtable/McDermid3.htm

Town centers are suggested as part of multiple developments on the river, also shown at the roundtable:

http://www.okc.gov/planning/roundtable/Couch2.htm

Town centers incorporate some of the same design philosphies as the lifestyle center such as Columbus' Easton Town Center:

http://www.eastontowncenter.com/

Patrick
07-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the sites floater. Easton Town Center seems pretty cool! Glad to hear that OKC is planning to incorporate some of them into the river plan. I think that will add to the river. I hope also, that the city builds more parks along the river. Right now the ones that are down there, just aren't all too nice. It is nice to see the river and and flowing though. I'll be glad when they allow the state to start stocking it. Bass Pro Shop being so close, it will all work out perfect.