View Full Version : 2006 State of the City

keving
02-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any comments on Mayor Mick Cornett's 2006 State of the City address. I heard a replay of it this morning on KGOU.

http://www.okc.gov/council/mayor/state_of_city/2006/index.html

shane453
02-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks for posting that.

wish they would have an audio file.

Bricktown in 2016... I'm sitting in San Antonio right now, and I'm hoping Bricktown will come a lot closer to this incredible Riverwalk...

The Old Downtown Guy
02-06-2006, 10:05 AM
I give Mayor Cornett high marks for his address. He is an extremely articulate spokesman for OKC. Some of the content was very predictable; streets, public safety needs, Maps for Kids etc. But the concepts put forth regarding consolidation of public services address real core problems that merit further serious consideration. Properly implemented, there is much to be gained by consolidation both in terms of economic savings, increased efficiency and quality.

His comments on the plight of the mentally ill in our community pointed out the need to not get so wrapped up in our successes that we forget that all do not equally benefit from the urban revitalization that we so enjoy discussing here.

On the down side, the explicit congratulations to Gubernatorial candidate Istook for some Federal funding of work on the Oklahoma River and the three times Mayor Cornett described OKC as a “faith based” community were, IMO, purely political remarks. Unfortunately, party politics has become an increasing consideration in the top elected office of Oklahoma City Municipal Government.

I would have liked to hear more about how we might fund the public transportation improvements anticipated over the next few years, but in the plus column is his public support for the proposed improvements in general. I also liked the specific mention of a new downtown park as part of the I-40 realignment.

It will be interesting to see how his ideas are fleshed out through the Planning and Public Works Departments and City Council processes. Perhaps some of his proposed street maintenance and improvement suggestions will include removal or narrowing of some auto traffic lanes here and there in favor of sidewalks and bike lanes. There is no reason that people living six blocks from a shopping center should find it necesary to get into their car to be able to have access to those nearby stores and services.

metro
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Great speech

HOT ROD
02-06-2006, 09:56 PM
ya, Im not so sure why he'd feel the need to 'remind' us that OKC is predominantly "faith based" community. I mean, everyone around the country already knows this. Why not come up with another progressive phrase instead of catoring to those who have held OKC back in many cases.