View Full Version : Lunar New Years Festival

metro
02-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Another great event going on in the Asian District this weekend.
This Saturday, tomorrow Feb. 4th from 11:00am - 1:00pm at the Gold Dome there will be a lunar new years festival. This kicks off with the traditional lion's dance. A similar event will also be taking place at the Cao Nguyen Supermarket.

Gold Dome
1112 NW 23rd
OKC, OK
www.golddomemcs.org
405-412-2545

metro
02-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Lunar New Year Celebration at Gold Dome

One of the most important celebrations in most Asian countries is the festival of the Lunar New Year. The Lunar Calendar begins on the first Full Moon of the year and marks a time of renewal and hope for the future. Many cultures celebrate with feasts and dances that welcome good fortune in the new year. This is a time for families to gather together.

The Gold Dome Multicultural Society is celebrating the Lunar New Year on Saturday, February 4th from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. There will be a performance of the traditional Lion Dance at 11:00 AM. The Lion is a symbol of strength, goodness, and good luck in Chinese culture. The Lion dance is comprised of an elaborate costume in which one person controls the head and others move the body in an intricate series of motions. This dance is part of the New Year tradition which symbolizes the passing of the old and a welcome of new things to come. Following the Lion Dance; the Gold Dome Multicultural Society will have candy and treats for children and arts and crafts activities related to the celebration including creating our own lion masks.

floater
02-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks metro.

HOT ROD
02-03-2006, 08:20 PM
I wish I could attend. Boy, OKC is really becoming a great city!

I showed some of the things happening to my fiance and we are both impressed, amazed, and downright disappointed in our own city (Seattle) for not doing similar.

There was an article in the newsok where the Chinese American of OKC had a meal for the homeless, complete with a red envelop with $1 for each guest. That's first class!!!! and something you all should be proud of. Your diversity is reaching back and is becoming fully integrated in your city.

Add to that, your celebrations, parades, dinners, so on. Sounds like a city with a 50-50 mix white/minority rather than the OKC we know 70-30.

Wish our "so called" diversity here would reach back. I mean, everyone says Seattle is diverse, and it is (65-35) but people here dont care about anyone but themselves; No Community!!

Way to go OKC. Continue the Renaissance, you well on to becoming a top First-Class Multicultural City!!!

metro
02-06-2006, 07:41 AM
I attended and took a TON of pictures and a short MPEG-4 video so I'll try and upload them in the next day or two.

metro
02-20-2006, 12:51 PM
I've uploaded more pictures into my gallery. Won't upload them all, I also took a video.

metro
02-16-2007, 09:22 AM
It's that time again. I went last year and it was awesome.

Please come join us for a
LUNAR NEW YEAR CELEBRATION
Free food, Children's activities, and a Lion dance.
This is one great way to bring in the new year, CHINESE style!

GOLD DOME at 1112 NW 23rd Street, OKC, OK 73106
Time:
10:00a.m. to 1:00p.m.
Date:
February 17th, 2007, Saturday
Date: February 17th, 2007 (Saturday)
Time: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Place: Gold Dome
1112 N.W. 23rd Street, Suite 100, Oklahoma City, OK 73106

PERFORMANCES:
Aztec Guitar Group 10:00
Nichols Hills Elementary Choir 10:30
LION DANCE 11:00 a.m.
Linwood Elementary Choir 11:30
Harding Fine Arts show stoppers 12:00
Boys and Girls Club 12:30
Children’s Art Activities

EVERYTHING IS FREE, FREE, FREE!!!!!

ALSO
Artist Reception
Featuring:
Beverly Herndon
Asian Brush Work
at the Gold Dome
from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

HOT ROD
02-17-2007, 02:28 AM
ya everyone, go celebrate the diversity of Oklahoma City!!!

Rage 2.0
02-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Dang that sounds great... To bad I can't make it... Never knew they did this in Oklahoma... Great diversity...