View Full Version : Unique Event Space

escan
02-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Hello all! We are looking for unique, hip space for a function for 250. We normally go to the Country Club F(not hip or unique) and are looking for something different for a physician appreciation event.

I looked at the Montgomery Event Center, but for such a cool place, the event center is pretty ho-hum. Another place was the Unititle Artspace, but it may be just a little small.

I'm hoping for some suggestions...thought you especially, Kim, might have some ideas. We'd like to stay somewhat in the downtown area......

Thanks a bunch!

Luke
02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
When is the event?

Faith
02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
The Petroleum Club is nice. Downtown in the Chase building I believe.

Faith
02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
duplicate.. sorry

The Old Downtown Guy
02-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Hello all! We are looking for unique, hip space for a function for 250. We normally go to the Country Club F(not hip or unique) and are looking for something different for a physician appreciation event. . . We'd like to stay somewhat in the downtown area......

The Cox Center has several options for groups of that size. Not very hip but very functional. The Petroleum Club has an excellent location and good views especially in the evening. But not a hip spot if your definition of hip is similar to mine. Brewer's CocaCola Event Center in Bricktown is the right size. Close to the Ballpark in location but totally nowhere in the ballpark of hip.

I don't know if the First National Bank Lobby is available for rent these days or not. I have attended events there in the past but not recently. VERY HIP. Stage Center might be an option as well, depending on the program. There is a vacant space on the ground floor of the Sonic Building that would also work with a little creative decorating. Just a shell space, but a good location.

escan
02-03-2006, 02:29 PM
The event is the end of April. Yea...thought of the Petroleum Club and Cox, but that's the same old same old...plus I really don't like the food at the PC that much. :)

Coca Cola is a little big, I think it actually seats something like 780....I was even trying to think of a restaurant we could rent out....something with a set up similar to Toby Keith's, but more upscale. Nonna's doesn't have a room that big....I'm just kinda at a loss.

metro
02-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Petroleum Club or Beacon Club. You might also try the Museum Cafe' at the MOA.

Patrick
02-03-2006, 02:53 PM
I believe Brewer still owns the Bricktown Ballroom in one of the buildings on the canal.

He also rents out the railroad station for events.

The city rents out Union Station for events.

Plenty of meeting rooms available at either the Renaissance or Sheraton.

Might check with Leadership Square and see if you could lease their common area. That would be cool.

escan
02-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks. Just to clarify to all...we're trying to stay away from Banquet space...that's what we've always done...were looking for something unique. We do need space for 250..not sure if the Cafe can hold that many. I've done about 125 there and it seems to be a little tight especially around the bars~! I may check out the stations though.

Keep those ideas coming.

Faith
02-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Does the event have to be indoors? Are you having it soon or in the summer. If you have the ability to host if outdoors then there are alot more creative and unique options out there.

escan
02-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Nope it's at the end of April. I would LOVE to have it outdoors, but am super scared of rain! What do you all think?

metro
02-03-2006, 03:40 PM
escan, then hence my original recommendation of having it at the OKCMOA. They have a huge rooftop with bars/catering not to mention the excellent views of the downtown skyline.

BDP
02-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Have you called IAO? i don't know what their capacity is, but it would be close to downtown and hip. I know I have been there with at least 150 people there...

http://www.iaogallery.org/
http://www.iaogallery.org/spacerental.htm

I went to a reception at Pure once. It would certainly hold 250. I don't know if they always do that or not.

Rocky's Music Hall in bricktown would hold it too. It's more rustic, than hip, though, and is not unbanquet-like.

I don't know if they do events, but you may want to try Untitled [ArtSpace] as well:

http://www.1ne3.com/

Can it be outside? The end of April may work to do it on the Museum rooftop...

Faith
02-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Well then you have lots of options. The key with the fear of rain is to make sure you have plans to accomodate in case there is rain. A place indoors on the same property that can hold the event if the weather doesn't fair well. The Museum rooftop sounds like an excellent idea.

floater
02-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I also thought about Rockys ^. What about the Meinders Hall of Mirrors at the Civic Center? Art Deco, small stage, very nice view of the skyline at night.

http://www.okcciviccenter.org/meinders_hall_of_mirrors.html

You might also consider the new OK History Center (atrium), OU Student Union Beaird Lounge, the Will Rogers Theater, the Hudson Essex building where Chocolate Decadence occurs. I personally think any location on Auto Alley would be cool.

The Myriad Botanical Gardens' inner rooms facing the water stage might be cool.

Faith
02-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Oh yeah and you might want to check out The Cowboy Hall of Fame or Remington Park.

BDP
02-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Oh, and I am sure you can rent an empty space in Automobile alley. Just get a good caterer and they'll do all the set up.

Pete
02-03-2006, 04:42 PM
I've organized large class reunions (about 300-400) at the Leadership Square Atrium, Coca Cola Bricktown Events Center and the Hall of Mirrors.

The Bricktown space is a little big plus it's expensive, especially since they make you use their beverage service.

All were great though, and a big hit with everyone that attended.

Midtowner
02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
How about the Omniplex? They rent out their museum floor at around $600/night the last time I rented from them.

Nothing more unique than that!

HOT ROD
02-03-2006, 08:25 PM
The Petroleum Club is nice. Downtown in the Chase building I believe.

Yep, the club (at the top of the Chase) IS probably the best in OKC if not the state! Very exclusive, top-of-the-world feeling!

Patrick
02-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I've organized large class reunions (about 300-400) at the Leadership Square Atrium, Coca Cola Bricktown Events Center and the Hall of Mirrors.

The Bricktown space is a little big plus it's expensive, especially since they make you use their beverage service.

All were great though, and a big hit with everyone that attended.

Leadership Square Atrium and Hall of Mirrors would probably be the most unique.

I'd probably go with the Hall of Mirrors because I believe they have a certain catering service they use.

mike24
02-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Check out the Chesapeake Boathouse. It is now open and has one of the coolest new event spaces around - and is on the water near downtown. See www.chesapeakeboathouse.org

It holds up to 300 inside and 500 on an outdoor deck.

BDP
02-10-2006, 07:13 AM
^^^

That's a great idea. You can have it outside, with a good indoor backup plan.

Urban Pioneer
02-10-2006, 11:36 AM
The First National Building Bank Lobby is a great place. However, the last time I checked- they wanted $5,000 for a day. The old Sante Fe Train Station that Brewer owns is also another great space. Mick Cornett had one of his fundraisers there. I do not know if its big enough for you. They do have a kitchen though.

keving
02-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Where is the Santa Fe Train Station?

keving
02-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Actually, the Santa Fe Station is downtown, right? I guess I don't know where Union Station is located.

windowphobe
02-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Union Station is between Broadway and Robinson on SW 7th.

jbrown84
02-17-2006, 05:29 PM
The Myriad Botanical Gardens' inner rooms facing the water stage might be cool.

Are those in use? I didn't think any of that below-ground tunnel area had been open for years.

Urban Pioneer
02-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Yes. Sante Fe is downtown right between Sheridan, Reno,and E.K. Gaylord/ AKA- Broadway. It is right next to Bricktown. Regarding the tunnels at Union Station... I have been down in them. When you go into that building, you completely forget your in OKC. The architecture so grand. The tunnels are open all the way to platform steps in the rail yard. In the rail yard- the top of the steps are covered with plywood and tar paper. If they were open, it would be just like coming out of a subway entrance. That is what they look like. The tunnels, platform, and rails will be pretty much destroyed when Istook's Crosstown comes in.

jbrown84
02-19-2006, 01:17 PM
I didn't know there were tunnels at Union Station. I was talking about Myriad Gardens.

floater
02-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Are those in use? I didn't think any of that below-ground tunnel area had been open for years.

Yes, they had been open for plant education programs and Water Stage event operations, but a couple of years ago, they were remodeled for rental availability. Rechristened the Dean A. McGee center, it holds 240, so you'd be pushing it. Don't know if it qualifies as "hip" but the night views would be nice!

http://www.myriadgardens.com/rental.html

jbrown84
02-19-2006, 09:35 PM
That's cool. Can you go all the way around across the smaller enclosed bridge?

floater
02-19-2006, 09:57 PM
That's cool. Can you go all the way around across the smaller enclosed bridge?

I'm not sure...I know MBG staff can, but I don't know if there is any public access.

jbrown84
02-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Yeah I've looked in there before through the glass and it looked completely run down. It's disappointing, because obviously originally it was all open, or at least I assume that.

floater
02-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Yeah I've looked in there before through the glass and it looked completely run down. It's disappointing, because obviously originally it was all open, or at least I assume that.

Yeah, it'd be nice if they could put in a pleasant-looking display, or a little garden cafe even.

Patrick
02-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Actually the MBG is currently using the space for storage. I've hit them up with the idea of putting a restaurant in there, but they told me it wouldn't be suitable for that.