View Full Version : You live here why?

Karried
02-03-2006, 10:12 AM
All this talk between cities made me really think about OK lately..

If you could finish the sentences ....what would you say??

You can pick one or all.. why are you here?

I choose to live in OK because____________________________

The best thing about OK is_______________________________

What I love most about OK is _____________________________

I want to raise a family in OK because _____________________________

Karried
02-03-2006, 06:20 PM
That's just great. No one can answer these questions?? :doh:

Karried
02-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I'll start ...

The best thing about Oklahoma is the people. They are generous and good and very kind.

Patrick
02-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Sorry Karrie. I'll contribute.

I choose to live in OK because I was born and raised here, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. My family is here. Sure, I suppose I could've gone to medical school elsehwere, but this is home.

The best thing about OK is the fact that we have a little bit of everything. Go to the SE and we have mountains and forests. We have desert. We have lakes. We have badlands.
What I love most about OK is the people! We have some of the friendliest people anywhere. You can walk up to just about anyone and say hi! Not so back east.

I want to raise a family in OK because of the great values in this state.

mranderson
02-03-2006, 08:32 PM
All this talk between cities made me really think about OK lately..

If you could finish the sentences ....what would you say??

You can pick one or all.. why are you here?

1. I have no choice.

2. My friends are here.

3. The attitudes are chaging for the better. Very slowly, but changing.

4. Frankly, I do not want to raise a family here. Too religious.

Patrick
02-03-2006, 09:15 PM
1. I have no choice.

2. My friends are here.

3. The attitudes are chaging for the better. Very slowly, but changing.

4. Frankly, I do not want to raise a family here. Too religious.

Boy, these sound like answers from someone who's pro-Oklahoma. What gives?

MadMonk
02-03-2006, 09:20 PM
I choose to live in OK because: I like it here and I'm comfortable living here. Besides, if I lived in Hawaii, where would I go to for vacation?

The best thing about OK is: Its easy to live a quiet life here. Minimal traffic, easy access to anything you need and good people all around you.

What I love most about OK is: I gotta go with other and say the people.

I want to raise a family in OK because:This state is a good, clean, healthy place to raise a family.

okiemom
02-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I choose to live in OK because: It's home now. I'm accustomed to it.

The best thing about OK is: The people

What I love most about OK : The friendly down to earth people.

I want to raise a family in OK: Because it's predominately a low key, conservative state.

I had a horrible time adjusting to Oklahoma when I moved here. Now I can't imagine living anywhere else.

floater
02-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Mranderson always cracks me up. So frank and concise.

I choose to live in OK because: whenever I live somewhere else, I find myself always thinking about OKC.

The best thing about OK is: the people.

What I love most about OK is: the warmth and the blue sky.

I want to raise a family in OK because: I'm comfortable with the sensibilities they'll gain here. You and their teachers can teach them to play the piano, work an equation, or dissect a cat, but being a good citizen and person is as much a product of their friends and neighbors as it is you. I also don't want to move again :)

dirtrider73068
02-03-2006, 11:05 PM

1. Was born here its my home state and have always liked oklahoma even though I have lived elsewhere. Plus all my family relatives except my parents live in oklahoma.

2. Its low key, cheaper living, easy going laid back state. Its quite, calm and slow going, they way I like it, do not like fast pace living.

3. I would have to say people too, they are friendly and come together in a time of need.

4. I would raise and am raiseing a family here cause I want to. I was raised here, and my family will be rasied here, other members of family have lived here for the lifes as well.

TStheThird
02-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I do not have a good answer for all of the questions, but I will say this...

I sometimes travel to or read about other places on this earth that have been more progressive than OKC, places that have all of the amenities that we seek, cities that have everything to offer and are growing rapidly. I think to myself, I should just move here, but I never will. I know that OKC needs entrepreneurs, it needs young people to stay, it needs dreamers, it needs people that will take risks. I have a dream for OKC and I will not see it become a reality living somewhere else. I have a passion for OKC, damn it. I want to raise my kids here so that I can tell them what it was like when I was growing up and about what I did to change the city.

Now, I will say this. My wife and I will pursue a dream of living abroad. We will move back to Italy in two years. I must continue my culinary education and bring that back to OKC. A small three year break will be good. I wish that I could go away and come back surprised by how much downtown and the surrounding area has changed, but I know that I will read this board every day.

BG918
02-07-2006, 01:40 AM
It could be worse, I could be living in a place like Wichita, KS or Fargo, ND. Just kidding, I like OKC and to me it seems pretty progressive in a lot of areas. When I look at OKC I see a bright future and the potential to be a really lively city on the windswept Oklahoma Plains, much like Edmonton, Alberta is a lively urban city nestled in the Plains or even Omaha or Minneapolis. I'm a liberal so the politics here annoy me a lot but I like arguing with conservatives and I have met quite a few other liberals who share my same point of view, I guess we just don't elect them? I plan on living in a large city on the coast for several years before I can't afford it anymore and I move back to Oklahoma, either OKC/Norman or Tulsa. As an architect I hope to bring back some good urban design ideas with me and become an urban developer here, much like what TAP and other local developers are currently doing in OKC.

soonerguru
02-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Egads! You actually like arguing with conservatives? Arguing with conservatives about politics is usually about as effective as having a conversation in Turkish with my hamster.

Karried
02-07-2006, 07:47 AM
I didn't know you spoke Turkish!

I also had a hard time adjusting to the different ways of thinking/lifestyle upon moving here from the Bay Area ( ya think??)

But after 3 years... I'm really enjoying the easy living, no traffic, great schools plus the cost of living is nice.. most fun of all is watching the changes being made - it is amazing to see a city grow and develop ..

sweetdaisy
02-07-2006, 08:17 AM
I've had an extremely difficult time adjusting here, too. In fact, I'm STILL trying to adjust. :D

However, the lack of traffic and cost of living, plus the fact that my parents are here make it worthwhile.

It'll be nice that my parents are around when (and if!) I ever start a family. Flying back and forth to Detroit got a bit expensive.

fromdust
02-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Egads! You actually like arguing with conservatives? Arguing with conservatives about politics is usually about as effective as having a conversation in Turkish with my hamster.

maybe conservatives feel the same way about arguing with liberals or libertarians or anyone else.

fromdust
02-07-2006, 12:46 PM
It could be worse, I could be living in a place like Wichita, KS or Fargo, ND. Just kidding, I like OKC and to me it seems pretty progressive in a lot of areas. When I look at OKC I see a bright future and the potential to be a really lively city on the windswept Oklahoma Plains, much like Edmonton, Alberta is a lively urban city nestled in the Plains or even Omaha or Minneapolis. I'm a liberal so the politics here annoy me a lot but I like arguing with conservatives and I have met quite a few other liberals who share my same point of view, I guess we just don't elect them? I plan on living in a large city on the coast for several years before I can't afford it anymore and I move back to Oklahoma, either OKC/Norman or Tulsa. As an architect I hope to bring back some good urban design ideas with me and become an urban developer here, much like what TAP and other local developers are currently doing in OKC.

please come back and put some art in your designs. all i can say about okc and its architecture is "yawn".

Faith
02-07-2006, 02:44 PM
I choose to live in OK because my family is here. I have lived in other states but always seemed to want to get back to OK. There is no place like home! (I know that sounded cheesy!)

The best thing about OK is some of the people. Most generally everyone is friendly and considerate. Especially in the little small towns we travel through. Its nice when people who don't know you wave and smile at you.

What I love most about OK is the opportunity for personal and business growth.
I want to raise a family in OK because I was raised here and I turned out okay.... But really because all my family is here and it is nice to know my children will grow up with their cousins.

If my husband had his choice we would live and raise our family in Alaska or Colorado.

The Old Downtown Guy
02-07-2006, 04:54 PM
all i can say about okc and its architecture is "yawn".

Though our skyline isn't filled with award winning skyscrapers, and you won't find a wonderful building on every corner or even every 100th corner, there are many important buildings in OKC, vintage and contemporary, residential and commercial.

OKCNDN
02-09-2006, 03:34 PM
I choose to live in OK because I had no choice. My family was forcibly removed from our ancestral lands and forced to go to Oklahoma under gun point.

The best thing about OK is I know my around. It is easy to get around OKC. I know people here.

What I love most about OK is my fellow Native Americans.

I want to raise a family in OK because you can still leave your doors unlocked at night, at least where I live. There are lots of pow-wows around and I feel comfortable there.

AXU
02-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I choose to live in OK because I have no choice.

The best thing about OK is my Job,a nd the people at it. That's it.

What I love most about OK is the idea of leaving it behind.

I want to raise a family in OK because..I really don't want to raise my family here, actually. I had the hardest time growing up, here. I'm looking forward to moving to Ireland. ..Or at least a place where I can do my job and not have to worry about getting arrested.