View Full Version : Anyone go to art shows?

Joe Schmoe
10-01-2004, 08:27 AM
I used to run an art center, & art exhibits were an important part of my life & career. So what I want to ask is: "do you ever go to art exhibits? If not, what would get you to go?"

I call it the "get off your butt factor."

Do you find that art can be important to your life, or is it just a bunch of snobs acting like BS has value?

I've developed the most successful & longest running art shows in OKC, & what pulls the public in, are "gimicks" that have high entertainment value while sneaking in cultural issues. But that makes the exhibit into a freakshow, or carnival.

Is there anything besides salacious pandering that could get you to go to an art exhibit?

:confused:

floater
10-01-2004, 09:35 AM
I'll go to an art show for a few reasons. One, because I know the artist either personally, through reputation, or iconic status. Thus I'll go to a friend's or the OKC Museum's Matisse exhibit. I'll also go for a unique theme - such as the collection of George Washington works gathered to accompany the Gilbert Stuart portrait. I like art for its innovative use of media -- thus I'll go if a show highlights the use of computer graphics, sound or wood. Besides those reasons, I'll go to a show based on subjects I like -- cityscapes, buildings, people in cafes or other forms of leisure, musicians and music, battle and conflict.

Midtowner
10-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Joe, I haven't been. I've heard excellent things about the Individual Artists though. Now that I live downtown, I'll consider it. I've never been a huge visual arts person though.

Patrick
10-03-2004, 11:26 PM
I love going to any art exhibit and fair, if I know about it. I must say, the Philbrook Museum in Tulsa is probably my favorite art museum in the state, but our new OKC Art Museum downtown is very nice, especialyl compared to the old facility.
I personally go to art shows mainly just to see something creative. The human mind never ceases to amaze me. Of course entartainment draws me as well. I go because it's "fun" to look at art!

Joe Schmoe
10-04-2004, 06:14 AM
The replies give me a rough reflection of what I already know, that most people don't care. (oh boo hoo.) People are moved by entertainment more than cultural expansion.

That's why new art of the 21st century is probably advertisements. Clever, entertaining, and the message is short & easily digested. A good commercial has effects in the broader culture just like art. It can set the tone for societal norms. The way art used to.

Maybe I'll set up an exhibit of commercials.

I'm not against pandering & sensationalism, but often it gets in the way of the "art." Out of respect for the artists, I don't like making their work into decorations for a party.

Thanks guys, for the input.

Patrick
10-05-2004, 10:15 PM
I think you're so right about commercials. Just look at how much more detailed commercials are now than they were say 25 years ago. Absolutely amazing! Even some of the campaign commercials I've been watching are really detailed in their graphics and presentation. It seems like this generation is definitely a generation dying for entertainment. The entertainment industry today is raking in the big bucks, as society dies for more.

Barbara Harper
10-11-2004, 11:38 AM
I have not gone to an art show in Oklahoma (sad to say). I guess it is just not one of those "top of the mind" things you think about when you are looking for something to do.

I do visit art museum's when I am traveling does that count?

Patrick
10-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Sure that counts! Don't feel too bad about not being able to attend to many art shows. They take time, something that so many of us just don't have. Our city does have some great art shows throughout the year, and I do encourage you to try to attend one of them in the future. The Arts Festival in downtown OKC occurs towards the end of April every year. It's one of the finest art's festivals in the country. Also, the Paseo Arts Festival, in the heat of the summer, is also a fine show. I like it, because not only do you have tons of booths, but you also have the art studios that line the Paseo area.

For more information on these events, just check right here on this forum. I'm sure we'll be talknig about these events as they come around.