View Full Version : Does this bother anyone but me?

Curt
01-30-2006, 02:51 PM
NEW DELHI - Computer maker Dell Inc. said Monday it planned to add 5,000 jobs in India over the next two years, bringing its work force in the country to 15,000.

Dell is also looking to set up a manufacturing center in India, a move that could help boost the sale of Dell computers here, President and CEO Kevin Rollins told reporters after a meeting with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

The Round Rock, Texas-based company will hire 700 to 1,000 workers for a new call center in Gurgaon, a satellite town of the capital, New Delhi, Rollins said. The new call center, the company's fourth in India, will open in April, he said.

The other new hires will staff call centers in the cities of Bangalore and Hyderabad in southern India and Mohali in the northern state of Punjab. Also this year, the company plans to double the staff at its product testing center in Bangalore, which currently employs 300 engineers, Rollins said.

During his previous visit to India in April last year, Rollins had said Dell would make India a hub for its software development and back-office work.

Currently, the company has three call centers in India, a product testing center for corporate customers and a global software development center. Some 10,000 people are employed at these facilities.

Scores of Western companies have been cutting costs by shifting software development, engineering design and routine office functions to countries such as India, where English-speaking workers are plentiful and wages are low.

But Rollins said his company's expansion plans were not limited to tapping the talent, but also benefit from the growing demand for desktop computers and notebooks.

Dell accounts for less than 4 percent of the 4 million computers sold in India, whereas the company's share in the global market is about 18 percent, he said.

Taxes levied by the Indian government on computers and computer parts are a major factor affecting pricing of Dell products and their sluggish sales here.

A manufacturing facility could help the company boost its presence in India, where computer sales are expected to increase to 10 million annually over the next three to five years.

"We have come to the conclusion that time is ripe to consider a manufacturing facility in India," Rollins said. "We want to do it fast," he said, but gave no time frame or investment details.

He said the company was talking to local authorities in several Indian states to identify a site and a decision will be made soon.

Dell currently operates nine plants, six of them outside the United States.

I had some technical questions regarding my Symantec virus protection, basically I re-newed my subscription online and upgraded. Well I dont know why but for some reason Microsoft firewall wont let me install it even when I disabeld the firewall it still would not install. So I called Symantec, and guess what, I was routed to India where I spoke with two people I could not understand and put on hold for over 20 minutes, I finally hung up.One more reason to make me hate the India call centers besides lost potential for jobs here. Ok I would agree that Dell can hire these 5000 people cheaper than Americans here, but why not hire say for instance 1000 Americans here to do the job instead? even if they are only making ten bucks an hour it's still better than sending the jobs overseas.

Patrick
01-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Oh great. That's all we need. More unintelligible people to talk about our computer problems with. No offense to them, but I've tried to talk to folks from an India call center and it was extremely difficult to make any sense of it.

writerranger
01-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Dell is notorious for their call centers in India. Don't they ever learn? For every Dell lover their are three or four EX- Dell users sick of their Indian support centers. Now, they're going to expand on that. These moochers need government handouts to invest in America. (Quality Jobs Incentive, anyone?) Dell's big fall is right around the corner. Remember this prediction.

brianinok
01-30-2006, 05:56 PM
I read an article about this a year or so ago. Dell stated that their plan is to have all US-originating calls go to a US call center, and all foreign-originating calls go to the nearest call center overseas. Dell is growing much, much faster outside the US, so it only makes sense that they would be adding jobs overseas faster than here.

writerranger
01-30-2006, 05:59 PM
I shouldn't be be commenting here because I despise Dell and their proprietary computers, lousy overseas support and overrated CEO.

Curt
01-30-2006, 09:10 PM
I read an article about this a year or so ago. Dell stated that their plan is to have all US-originating calls go to a US call center, and all foreign-originating calls go to the nearest call center overseas. Dell is growing much, much faster outside the US, so it only makes sense that they would be adding jobs overseas faster than here.
No Brian that makes NO sense at all, have the over seas people call my people here for a change, why the hell do we have to keep bending for the rest of the world. I have a Dell now and it will be the last Dell I ever own, Dell will be getting a nasty gram from me.

Curt
01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Ok look, I really dont mean to piss anyone off here again, but you all know me by now and you all know how upset I get over the loss of or potential loss of American jobs

Curt
01-30-2006, 09:23 PM
This fits....But caution because the language in this is very strong and offensive for some.

http://illwillpress.com/tech.html

diesel
01-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Dell is such a poorly run company... Their customer service SUCKS... I hope they go backrupt..

Pete
01-31-2006, 11:07 AM
I don't know a computer manufacturer that does a good job providing customer support to the home user.

That's because most people buy due to price and aren't willing to pay more for service.

I've had good luck with Dell's support on business servers.

MadMonk
01-31-2006, 11:21 AM
I have a friend who recently quit the Dell call center here. He's the most laid-back guy you would ever meet, but he finally became fed up with how they treated the employees. He said they treated everyone like crap and expected loads of unpaid overtime from the managers. He didn't even have a job lined up before he quit. That's how much he hated it. Luckily, he quickly found replacement work.

Patrick
01-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Really it isn't just Dell that has call centers in India. I had a problem with my HP awhile back (well, a few years back, when the Blaster worm got it), and my call was sent to their call center in......you guessed, it, India.

Here's kind of how the conversation went:

Patrick: Uh, yeah, my computer keeps shutting down for no reason. Can you help?

Call Rep: afras traf tenna stram soya yols tenia fam stat

Patrick: Uh, I can't quite understand what you said.

Call Rep: fran tico laor rat yopa secor lommna laso

Patrick: No, I don't have a rat in my computer. You see, it keeps shutting down for no reason. I think it's that computer worm, not a rat. What do I need to do to fix the problem?

Call Rep: Tram werasta pemera tralkn a***fp rgsgbs dgstepm asfafm goptyr asgdgh rgwas

Patrick: I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding you again.

Call Rep: Hyam sdfggh safgasfgasfa asfsafvvrtt threhhb sgseegvgv sefgsf

Patrick: Hello? Anyone there?

Call Rep: Reper fhbjm tyhavb rfghslm sgsg edf sdfate fafa

Patrick: Never mind, I'll figure it out myself.

Call Rep: sglksgjlk vnalfn aflknal aflasnl alfkalkj falkfjlkj afnlfnaslnf

Click

MadMonk
01-31-2006, 01:18 PM
^^^^^^^^^
:LolLolLol Yeah, thats usually how it goes.

Curt
01-31-2006, 02:44 PM
LMBO!!!!!! Patrick...

Kerry
01-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Maybe they could open a call center in Detroit. From what I have read lately regarding the Super Bowl, Detroit is a 3rd world country and their resident don't speak English well either. With 15% unemployment they could use the jobs.

Curt
01-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Maybe they could open a call center in Detroit. From what I have read lately regarding the Super Bowl, Detroit is a 3rd world country and their resident don't speak English well either. With 15% unemployment they could use the jobs.
I can personally vouch for this.You know not to get off topic here, but regarding the Super Bowl. They have been cleaning and polishing the city so that the whole world can see what a nice city it is, or make the whole world think it is a nice city, it's not. The authorities here are "asking" the "locals" to stay home this weekend so as to not give the city a bad image.

dirtrider73068
01-31-2006, 07:40 PM
This fits....But caution because the language in this is very strong and offensive for some.

http://illwillpress.com/tech.html

I love it that was great I put it my favorites so I cna send that out to family and friends.

Curt
01-31-2006, 09:27 PM
I love it that was great I put it my favorites so I cna send that out to family and friends.
Well I kind of think that it says what most people really feel about India call centers.I know it says how I feel about them.

Jack
02-01-2006, 12:00 PM

Add New Orleans to the list. Not much difference between New Orleans and Detroit.