View Full Version : What I think will happen with the Hornets...

fsusurfer
01-30-2006, 10:24 AM
As much as I'd like to see us keep the Hornets, I don't think it will happen. We will have them next year, and they will go back to N.O. for the 07-08 season. The NBA can't let teams break contracts and move to whatever city throws them the most money. The only thing this "competition" between the 2 cities is doing is giving New Orleans a reason to prove they really can support the Hornets and now they are frothing at the mouth to get them back. What will most likely happen is the Hornets will stay here next year, get as much money from the city as possible, and then head back to New Orleans. In turn, provided the city keeps rabidly supporting the team, the NBA will give us an expansion guarantee within a 3 to 5 year time frame. As much as it will stink to have the Hornets leave the city, the long term future for the city will be bright.

metro
01-30-2006, 10:58 AM
I have a feeling you're right fsusurfer. It would probably be the 2010 season when we land a permanent team. Perhaps Seattle or Orlando's team when their lease expires.

BDP
01-30-2006, 01:02 PM
expansion guarantee

I don't think that exists. I think this is a compunded situation that is not a matter of anyone just breaking contract to go somewhere where there's more money on the table. I think the NBA wants the team to go back to NO, but it's also, unfortuneatly, not a charity. if the team goes back before NO can support it, everyone loses. It may even have to support it more than before, as it wasn't pretty before the hurricane. If they go back just to fulfill a lease, it could be ugly.

Patrick
01-30-2006, 03:45 PM
You guys keep mentioning this contract. Guys, the buyout clause is $10 million. If Shinn wants to pay it or have someone pay it for him, there's no one stopping it. People buy out contracts all the time.

After next year, they'll have been in OKC almost as long as they were in NOLA.

Also, with a population of 150,000 there's no way they can support both the NBA and NFL. I see the Saints failing in NOLA next year, and then Shinn using that as reason not to return.

fsusurfer
01-30-2006, 03:49 PM
"If Shinn wants to pay it or have someone pay it for him, there's no one stopping it."

Probably right, except for one person...David Stern.

Patrick
01-30-2006, 03:53 PM
David Stern didn't stop Shinn from moving them to NOLA. Shinn did that without any permission at all.

fsusurfer
01-30-2006, 03:57 PM
The move from Charlotte to NOLA was a whole different ballgame. The public (other than NO and Charlotte) didnt give a rip where they ended up. This is a little different...if Stern thinks the NBA will get a black eye by relocating the Hornets to OKC, he will defintalty do whats in his power to keep the Hornets in NO.

Patrick
01-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Read my post on the editorial from a guy not associated with either city.

BDP
01-30-2006, 04:06 PM
You guys keep mentioning this contract. Guys, the buyout clause is $10 million.

Well, the language is such that the buy out doesn't apply until 2012.

if Stern thinks the NBA will get a black eye by relocating the Hornets to OKC, he will defintalty do whats in his power to keep the Hornets in NO.

I'm thinking that if Stern forces an owner into a money losing situation, that he'll get a black eye from the NBA as the other owners will have to subsidize the Hornets.

Patrick
01-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I've read the termination clause, section 19.3 in the contract, and it's very vague. Doug, can you shed any light on it from a legal standpoint?

Patrick
01-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Shinn actually has his lawyers reading over this word for word right now. I'd imagine they'll find some loop hole in it.

Patrick
01-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah, after reading it further, the contract does state that the Exit Fee would apply if the Hornets decided to leave after the First Renewal Period but before a 2nd renewal period was made.

What's vague is the terms surrounding termination of the contract during the First Renewal Period.

Patrick
01-30-2006, 04:38 PM
If Shinn doesn't apply by the contract, he is in default. How that's handled, is a whole other issue. Could be tied up in court for awhile.

Patrick
01-30-2006, 04:43 PM
One other way to look at the contract, which the lawyers may use......the contract is vague on what happens if Shinn defaults on the contract. It simply gives the state of New Orleans the right to terminate the contract with the Hornets. Doesn't spell out what fines should be, etc. if Shinn defaults on the contract.

Interesting.