View Full Version : NOLA post of the day: 1-29

Patrick
01-28-2006, 11:49 PM
From DVDman at HornetsReport. This dude obviously has no clue when tornado season is.

"I had to chuckle when I read this comment from Shinn concerning where the Hornets would play in 2006/07.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...ov=ap&type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkpdmdB9.2sOF.VtqgnLR728vLYF?slug=ap-hornets-neworleans&prov=ap&type=lgns)

"What if next October there's 10 feet of water in the city?" Shinn asked. "You expect me to come back? Give me a break. Just be reasonable about things. That's all I'm asking."

My reponse to that would be "What if an F5 tornado where to destroy the Ford Center in OKC in October?" My point is both occurences are possible but very unlikely to happen so why use that as an excuse. I like the "city is not ready yet" excuse better because it's actually true."

Patrick
01-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Here's another dumb comment by Harvey Hornet:

"1a. Of course they are. They are bound to a contract with the state which states they must come home if the arena is ready. Well, it'll be ready very soon. The state negotiated with the club and is allowing them to play the majority of their games in OKC next year. In turn, the team will return home full time in '07-'08."

They keep acting like this contract will save the Hornets. Come on folks.....there are tons of corporations in OKC just ready to pay the $10 million to free the Hornets of that contract.

Luke
01-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Sort of off-topic, but who are some of the corporations locally that would jump on board sponsorship of the Hornets were they to commit to OKC permanently?

Sonic, OGE?, Six Fl... oh wait, nevermind, Hobby Lobby, Mathis Brothers, who else?

Karried
01-29-2006, 11:53 AM
The Infamous Chocolate City Mayor's supporter: "OUR" Mayor is a hick?? LOL
These people never cease to amaze and amuse me...

6076. Ray Nagin
by HornetsSaint (http://www.nola.com/forums/profile.ssf?nickname=HornetsSaint), 1/29/06 10:30 ET should of went to the game last night like mick whatever and wupped his as*. That redneck hick thinks he is doing something so good. he should get his as* whupped.

Patrick
01-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Sort of off-topic, but who are some of the corporations locally that would jump on board sponsorship of the Hornets were they to commit to OKC permanently?

Sonic, OGE?, Six Fl... oh wait, nevermind, Hobby Lobby, Mathis Brothers, who else?

Well, Chesapeake, KerrMcGee, Midfirst, Devon, and The Oklahoman already put up the money in case there was a downfall. First time 5 corporations have ever come together like that anywhere. So I suppose they'd be interested in continuing to support the team. I know for sure that Chesapeake has a blank check ready to donate any amount of money to get them here.

Bob Funk with Express Services alread said he'd like to jump in.

Mathis Brothers are also interested, as is Sonic. SBC would probably step up to the plate, as would many of the local media sources.

Let's see...in NOLA, the Hornets had one, I repeat, ONE corporation sponsoring them.

Patrick
01-29-2006, 01:54 PM
The Infamous Chocolate City Mayor's supporter: "OUR" Mayor is a hick?? LOL
These people never cease to amaze and amuse me...

6076. Ray Nagin
by HornetsSaint (http://www.nola.com/forums/profile.ssf?nickname=HornetsSaint), 1/29/06 10:30 ET should of went to the game last night like mick whatever and wupped his as*. That redneck hick thinks he is doing something so good. he should get his as* whupped.

This HornetsSaint guy cracks me up. He keeps talking smack about how we're rednecks. He's the one who sounds like a redneck.

Patrick
01-29-2006, 02:07 PM
It continues to amaze me that folks from NOLA really believe that the contract with the NOLA Arena is going to keep the team there. Folks, there's a $10 million buyout clause that corporations in OKC are willnig to pay for. At the present time though, Shinn has hi lawyers looking over the contract word for word looking for any loophole they can find. They'll probably spend all of next season looking for loop holes.

I doubt the Hornets will be returning to NOLA, and I bet the Saints only stay long enough to prove their point.

This from Harvey Hornet:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2309791 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2309791)

"We believe the Hornets' lease agreement requires them to return to New Orleans for the 2006-07 season," Louisiana Superdome Commission chairman Tim Coulon said in a statement quoted by the Times-Picayune. "We are aware of their concern regarding the ability of the market to support a 41-game season.

"The state ... has been diligently working with the Hornets and the NBA toward the same mutual goal: to assure the long-term success of NBA basketball in New Orleans. We have made every effort to make accurate, objective information and projections available to them. We believe they have made a long-term-commitment to New Orleans."

If a Coullion said it, I believe it! http://hornetsreport.com/HRForums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Patrick
01-29-2006, 02:08 PM
This from West Coast Hornet:

This is a good point. Think about it. If La. doesn't get the assurance, then what is happening is that La. is giving the Hornets permission now to play in OKC in 2006-07 and the Hornets could come back next year and seek permission for yet another year away. By La. asking for the assurance now, it is obvious that the State is trying to settle the matter now. "You can play in OKC next year penalty free on condition that you return to NOLA the following year and resume your lease obligations." Apparently Shinn doesn't like that. It gives him what he wants next year, but constrains him beyond this next season. But it is tit-for-tat. The Hornets have no right to be excused from the lease for next season. You want that? Gotta give something back.

Patrick
01-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Harvey Hornet is dreaming again:

I expect the deal between the State of Louisiana and the Hornets to be completed next week. I believe they are close but there are some language issues in the deal that need to be cleared up. I expect the Hornets to play a minimum of 6 games (maximum of 10) in New Orleans next season with the balance in OKC. In '07-'08 the Hornets will return.

In the meantime, like I've said in the past, expect Shinn to maximize OKC for every dime he can get. I'm sure he knows the New Orleans fans aren't happy. Unfortunately, fan emotion isn't a consideration in these kinds of deals. He's playing the emotions of the Okies too. Fans are the mutts (as WCH likes to say). He's going to go for the money first and then you'll see the tide swing back in our direction. Let the business happen and then we'll get our way.

In spite of what you might hear, I don't think George is going to sell. I've said that before and I stick to my guns. Some people might think they are going to force him to sell but thats not going to happen. If he sells anything, I think it will be minority interest with the ability to buy it back at his discretion.

Today's TP is dead on about the Hornets looking at big men, but I doubt JR is part of the deals they are working on. Look for one (if not two) deals to happen soon. I doubt we'll be losing any players in those deals. We need bigs. A true center and rugged front court guy would be nice additions.

JR is a goof ball. I believe they are dangling him out there to see what kind of value he might bring in return. If they can get good value in return, they'll be done with him. He's a complete knucklehead.

Just hunches... http://hornetsreport.com/HRForums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Patrick
01-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Again, contracts are made to be broken, and can be bought out through the buy out clause. Get a clue West Coast Hornet:

"
Doesn't matter if Shinn sells a majority interest to the team. It's called assignment and whoever buys the team is bound to the contract signed in La. You think Stern and the NBA would even approve a sale where you'd have some OKCer launching grenades at La. post-Katrina? Aint' gonna happen. So Shinn isn't selling his baby, and the NBA isn't going to let this go down just to be turned into a state v. state circus. Wonder how these Okies would feel being suied in Orleans Parish Court.

Anyway, it's a red herring, and there is no reason for us to focus on any of this. But if he wants to sell, go ahead, we could use a new owner anyway. http://hornetsreport.com/HRForums/images/smilies/wink.gif"

Patrick
01-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Ah, finally, Avatar gets it right:

WHY do I keep feeling that this is going to continue going downhill, culminating in the press conference at the Ford Center to announce the permanent relo of the Hornets to OKC, only to have Shinn sign the new lease deal, pull back his face and reveal...

THAT HE's TOM BENSON!"

Patrick
01-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Dreamland! Looks like Harvey Hornet has started smoking something as we speak.

It's just a language issue in the contract they are negotiating. The matter should be resolved very soon. Heck, we may even get 10 games next season. Looks good for '07-'08.