View Full Version : © Copyright Pope Benedict. All rights reserved.

PUGalicious
01-24-2006, 05:46 AM
(Originally posted here (http://independentchristianvoice.com/2006/01/24/%c2%a9-copyright-pope-benedict-all-rights-reserved/#more-643))

From The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/pope/story/0,12272,1692693,00.html?gusrc=rss):
A row has broken out in Rome about whether the speeches and writings of Pope Benedict should be freely available to everyone or subject to copyright.

The dispute was prompted by revelations that a publishing house in Milan had to pay £10,000 to reprint 30 lines from the first speech by the Pope following his election in April, after the Vatican transferred copyright on papal texts to its own publishing house, Libreria Editrice Vaticana. The Vatican also plans to charge rights on any papal texts of the past 50 years.
So what’s the problem?
“I am perplexed,” said Vittorio Messori, who has co-authored two books with two popes. “The Church is an organisation that exists to spread the word of God and levying a duty on those words, putting a smell of money on it, seems to me to be a very negative thing.”
It surely smacks of moneychangers in the temple. If the pope can do it, though, I can do it. I hereby claim, as a child of God and heir to His kingdom, copyright on all speeches and writings of the Almighty and His Son, Jesus Christ. I’m now, even as we speak, directing my attorneys to demand royalties from all who have quoted any speech (also known as sermons, like “The Sermon on the Mount”) or written Word (commonly referred today as the Scriptures or Word of God), including those who have published the entire written works of my Father and His Firstborn in books commonly referred to as “The Holy Bible.” Additionally, any prophetic words — like those relayed through Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Benny Hinn and the many prophets on TBN — are also subject to such copyright, even if spoken through these earthly vessels.

Your Holiness, you will also receive an invoice for royalties on all the text from my Father’s words that you have often quoted within your own speeches and writings.

Midtowner
01-24-2006, 07:46 AM
It's an interesting question, isn't it? At least a little more complex than The Guardian's writer tends to make it out to be. If the Vatican does not protect the words of the Pope, what is to keep a third party from printing and profiting from them? Ultimately, someone is going to use the words of the Pope for profit, so who should it be?

Intellectual property in the 21st century is at least legally speaking the hottest topic going right now. I can easily see both sides of this issue.