View Full Version : Uses for the GM plant

Jack
01-23-2006, 07:17 PM
In this thread, let's brainstorm and discuss potential uses for the GM plant.

mranderson
01-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Toyota, Honda or Hyundai assembally. Or a computer company could use it as a manufacturing plant.

Curt
01-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Hopefully another automotive related facility so maybe the displaced workers can have a chance.

The Old Downtown Guy
01-23-2006, 08:26 PM
As mentioned this evening at the OKC metro transportation master plan presentation, a company in Denver is building light rail equipment. the OKC GM plant could do the same or build trolley equipment.

dirtrider73068
01-23-2006, 08:32 PM
What about a big indoor sports facility, that has a putt-putt, batt cages, go-carts, climbing wall, that type of stuff. Bring the outdoors indoors so if its raining or something it can be a big indoor family fun center. Or maybe a big manufactureing plant for something, another vehicle, motorcycles, something to be made in the USA and not overseas. Indoor shopping center/strip mall. Furniture manufacture/maker, household supplier like lamps, light fixtures, facuets, switches, door knobs. List could go on and on, though another vehicle plant coming in don't know if that would happen since alot of vehicle plants are closeing down due to the reduction of vehicle sales. We need somethign big to come here to okc to brin gthis city around and get the ecomony back up.

John
01-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Tear down Crossroads and turn the GM plant into a 'Factory' mixed use development, with housing, retail, etc...

Many a closed plant have found success with such projects.

dirtrider73068
01-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Or move crossroads into the gm plant and make it a bigger and better mall.

Midtowner
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Indoor golf course -- parking lot can be an additional 18 holes.

Curt
01-23-2006, 10:17 PM
How about an indoor 3-D archery range?

John
01-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Or move crossroads into the gm plant and make it a bigger and better mall.

...like I was saying... ;)

writerranger
01-24-2006, 12:08 AM
A new Mexican restaurant.

NO???

Patrick
01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
I'd like to try to attract some sort of manufacturing jobs back to the facility. We need high paying jobs, not low paying, minimum wage jobs. With OU so close, seems like someone would want it.

Curt
01-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I'd like to try to attract some sort of manufacturing jobs back to the facility. We need high paying jobs, not low paying, minimum wage jobs. With OU so close, seems like someone would want it.
:congrats: You are absolutely right Patrick.

Urban Pioneer
01-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Lets wait a year and see if an F5 Tornado demolishes it first.

windowphobe
01-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Mayoral candidate Bob Waldrop came up with this:

One solution to the problem of the closing of the GM plant is for the workers of that plant to take it over and operate it as a worker-owned cooperative, making sensible and attractive vehicles that people actually want to buy. The State has already shown its willingness to help the plant stay open, and the present proposal could easily be converted to a worker purchase of the plant.

I think he's seriously underestimating the costs of vehicle design, but it would be nice to be able to keep those folks on board somehow.

mranderson
01-25-2006, 05:30 PM
How about the worlds first enclosed NASCAR track?

TStheThird
01-25-2006, 05:54 PM
So we can all lose our hearing.

Curt
01-25-2006, 08:34 PM
How about the worlds first enclosed NASCAR track?
With all due respect, that would not work. The exhaust, the noise and the saftey issues. Sometimes a helicopter needs to land in the infield after a bad crash to take a driver out, not to mention emergency vehicles need easy in and out access. I would just hope they can keep it some kind of automotive manufacturing facility.Even if it is a Toyota plant, as much as I am against buying foreign cars it's too late now, they are here to stay.

mranderson
01-25-2006, 09:07 PM
With all due respect, that would not work. The exhaust, the noise and the saftey issues. Sometimes a helicopter needs to land in the infield after a bad crash to take a driver out, not to mention emergency vehicles need easy in and out access. I would just hope they can keep it some kind of automotive manufacturing facility.Even if it is a Toyota plant, as much as I am against buying foreign cars it's too late now, they are here to stay.

They could find a way if they wanted to. Afterall, much of vehicle safety is due to NASCAR. Plus, the emergency evacuation of a victim could be done. It is called triage (sp).

swake
01-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Have you never heard of the Chili Bowl?

http://www.chilibowl.com/

Indoor racing is possible and is huge in Tulsa, tickets on ebay were going for over $300

Tony Stewart raced again, he was the winner three years ago.

http://www.chilibowl.com/photo.asp?PH=577

http://www.chilibowl.com/photo.asp?PH=582

Curt
01-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Now the chili bowl I can see doing indoors. I never heard of it until now. But NASCAR at 200 mph I just dont see it, but I guess if NASCAR wanted to do it they could find a way.Anyway, I did not mean to get off topic here.