View Full Version : Bricktown theater opens Friday

Patrick
09-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, what an accomplishment. After many, many years of court battles and delays, the theater is finally opening on Friday. I wonder how full the theater will be on Friday. I probably won't go this weekend, but Iplan to go within the next few months. Anyways, I'm glad to see this venue finally opening.

http://www.newsok.com/tempimages/s25movies.jpg

A media tour can be found here:

http://newsok.com/article/1327758/?template=home/main

Luke
09-30-2004, 05:52 AM
I'll be there Friday night.

As a side note, I went to the Sonic opening a couple days ago. There were a lot of people at the theater cleaning up and getting ready for opening night. I decided to waltz in and check out the place. The entryway is comparable to the theater in Norman with the screen above the concession area. I looked to my left and saw the sign that said "Cine Capri left portal" and further down "Cine Capri right portal." I remembered hearing about this screen being the largest one in Oklahoma so I went in. It had curtains all the way around the walls, 150 speakers, a large seating area and yes, one big screen. 70 feet wide by 30 feet tall. Definitely wanna see a movie in that room.

Anyways, it's turning out really well. And after thinking about the concrete canal canyon that I was disappointed about in another thread, I began to think creatively and thought of some ideas that would add to the canal. Simple ideas. I noticed they have crawling ivy on one part of the wall. That will help add some greenery and depth. Where it is bare, how bout we get some really good artists to paint some motif. I'm not sure what, but something to look at beside gray walls as water taxi riders make their trek south and east. Looking down the canal, that's the only area that has walls. In fact, it looks like their actually leveling the area next the the theater off at canal level. That is where the alleged hotel/apartment building will be. Further down, the Sonic building and the future Toby Keith Roadhouse look to be at canal level. So, I feel better about that. And when you think back 10 years ago. That much development is sure a lot better than some grassy field.

Watch for lots of activity down there over the next few weeks and months!

Patrick
10-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Hey Luke, I'd love to hear a report on your movie trip to the theater on Friday night!

By the way, you point our some great suggestions for the concrete wall. You know, there are sections of the Riverwalk in San Antonio that don't have development right on it.......the city of SA has just filled those areas in with landscaping. We should do the same. I think having vines and the like grow up the wall would be a great idea! Maybe some murals as you suggest as well! You're right....this development is better than what we had when the canal opened. And, as you mention, the concrete canyon is only for the length of the theater. It's not that bad! It's definitely adaptable.

floater
10-04-2004, 07:27 AM
I'm thinking a collage of famous Oklahoma-bred movie stars depicted in one of their movie roles (as opposed to simple portraits) or Oklahoma-based movie posters. Great idea, Luke.

Luke
10-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Well, me and a bunch of friends went to the theater Friday night. We parked around back where it is free for movie patrons. The parking lot looked to be 75% full. Pretty impressive for being 10:00pm. We were gonna watch the 10:30 showing of "The Forgotten." We walked through the front and there were people everywhere. Great atmosphere down there with the theater lights, the fountains, the Sonic Café... Just all around fun. We bought our tickets and went in. Unfortunately, they're showing "Shark Tale" on the Cine-Capri screen. "The Forgotten" would have been great on a massive screen like that. But, our screening room was very impressive. It's not so dark when you walk in. In fact, it was pretty bright. The seats are the best around. Very soft, and they rock, literally. The sound system is very impressive, nice and loud. :) The movie was a good one, too. If you like suspense thrillers, this one's for you. I'm not much of a "jumper" but I jumped 3 times. I think because there wasn't anything leading up to those parts, just BAM and it gets ya. Fun anyways.

Overall, a GREAT experience in Bricktown. I look forward to hearing what others think. Especially out of towners.

:)
Luke

Luke
10-04-2004, 09:37 AM
By the way, floater, love the idea on Oklahoma based movie posters or movie stars on the Canal Canyon by the theater. That would be a really cool, museum-esque attraction.

Patrick
10-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Having a collage of famous Oklahoma born and raised movie stars on that concrete wall would be a great addition to the area. Man, we have so many ideas right now. We need to start capitalizing on some of these. Where should we start?

I still like the idea of the Bricktown Association sponsored Walk of Fame the best though. The walk could have stars from famous Oklahoma actors and actresses, sports stars, music stars, etc. It could line both side of the canal along the Lower canal segment between Reno Ave. and the I-40 bridge. Having such an attraction, might also possibly attract more music venues like Toby Keith's Roadhouse to the area as well. It would give us a good selling point.

Anyways, Luke, thanks for the update on the theater. I can't wait to check it out. Having the lot 75% full on a Friday night, when most people are probably out watching high school football games, is a good sign.