View Full Version : Strip club needed in Bricktown

Jack
01-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Bricktown is supposed to be an entertainment district, right? Why are we excluding certain groups from enjoying their form of entertainment? What would you think about a strip club in Bricktown? How about a club catering to just gay people? Don't you think diversity in Bricktown is what the Creative Class needs? How about a piercing parlor?

bandnerd
01-23-2006, 07:20 PM
This isn't Amsterdam, Jack. That stuff will never be put there and you know it. Bricktown is a family-oriented area. If you want strip clubs and piercings, then you're just going to have to branch out of that little 3-block square to find it.

Sorry, don't see any of those things going in soon. Just my humble opinion.

Jack
01-23-2006, 07:21 PM
What's stopping it? That's the point I'm trying to stir up here.

bandnerd
01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Jack--you are as aware as I am as to what city we live in. Oklahoma City just isn't ready for a red light district like you evidently want. Let's keep Night Trips over on Reno next to Hudson's, maybe put in a Planned Parenthood and Christie's Toy Box next door to it, and leave Bricktown for the families and college kids out for dancing. And maybe add some more retail. Not the "dollar store" though.

Curt
01-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Yah put strip clubs in Bricktown and what will you have? Another Detroit. I dont think it's a good idea.

Midtowner
01-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Even I would be against this. Do you really want Bricktown to be competing for the Red Dog's clientelle?

-- although, if a club were to operate in Bricktown, it would most likely be a much nicer club than anything we currently have.

John
01-23-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't see anything wrong with adding an upscale establishment. Especially with the NBA probably staying in town, the visiting players have money to spend, and there are reports of them heading in the direction of Reno & Meridian.

Adding a nice adult venue would not make Bricktown an 'Amsterdam'.

I also don't see how a piercing or tattoo studio would hurt things either.

Bricktown isn't supposed to be a 'family' district, it's an entertainment district.

John
01-23-2006, 09:00 PM
-- although, if a club were to operate in Bricktown, it would most likely be a much nicer club than anything we currently have.

definately. The Gold Club is a pretty reputable chain.

...so I hear:spin:

Midtowner
01-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I don't see anything wrong with adding an upscale establishment. Especially with the NBA probably staying in town, the visiting players have money to spend, and there are reports of them heading in the direction of Reno & Meridian.

Adding a nice adult venue would not make Bricktown an 'Amsterdam'.

I also don't see how a piercing or tattoo studio would hurt things either.

Bricktown isn't supposed to be a 'family' district, it's an entertainment district.

It's a family district in that the clothes some people wear sometimes result in the creation of families.

That's what you mean, right?

Curt
01-23-2006, 09:08 PM
I personally just would not do it. Cant we have just one town without strip clubs? I am all for beautiful women dont get me wrong, but those places just draw in the low lifes.

zuluwarrior0760
01-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Please don't call my grandmother a lowlife

Curt
01-23-2006, 10:05 PM
never did dude

Midtowner
01-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Zulu, who called your g-mother a low life? I don't think anyone suggested that all people in strip clubs are low lifes.

-- I mean John here even knows that there is a reputable chain.

If you are trying to make a funny, I would like to suggest you use the 'emoticons' to the left of your message entry box in the full editor.

zuluwarrior0760
01-23-2006, 10:31 PM
If you can't see that was a joke,
no emoticon will help you....
but since all sense of humor is obviously absent here, may I turn back dead serious and refer back to Mariner's comment:

"those places just draw in the low lifes"

I think Midtowner, that Mariner actually suggested
that all people in strip clubs are low lifes......
including my dear old grandmother.....

DISCLAIMER FOR THE HUMOR CHALLENGED: ANY AND ALL REFERENCES
TO GRANDMOTHERS FREQUENTING STRIP CLUBS IS MEANT PURELY IN
JEST (IE: JOKING) AND IS NOT TO BE INTERPRETED AS AN ACTUAL
CONCERN FOR THE ELDERLY. ANY AND ALL HUMOR CHALLENGED PEOPLE
NEED TO BE ADVISED THAT IN THE ABSENCE OF EMOTICONS, THERE
MAY BE AN INHERENT RISK OF MISINTERPRETATION OF COMMENTS
MEANT HUMOROUSLY AS SERIOUS COMMENTS....

crabby_cruiser
01-24-2006, 04:49 AM
...or the "joke" itself was humor-challenged...

Midtowner
01-24-2006, 07:49 AM
...or the "joke" itself was humor-challenged...

That's my view on the subject.

Karried
01-24-2006, 08:08 AM
I got the joke instantly... and sometimes it takes me awhile! :ohno:

LOL, I like the disclaimer....

I think it's okay to interject humor into sometimes touchy subjects.... lightens the mood.

metro
01-24-2006, 08:13 AM
mods shouldn't this be moved to the Bricktown forum?

BDP
01-24-2006, 09:24 AM
If you don't think that there are strip clubs in Bricktown, then you haven't been out down there in awhile. j/k... sort of. :)

Seriously, though, we already have strip clubs in the city and I think we should use the leverage of the area to attract new businesses and services to OKC. A tattoo parlor would qualify and there wouldn't be anything wrong with it, imo. Tattoos are a booming business and draw all kinds of people, but that would take an act of the legislature to change. Until then, the government will continue to protect you from accidentally getting a safe and quality tattoo in a health inspected establishment in the state of Oklahoma.

Meanwhile, I doubt any property owner is going to lease to a strip club. I guess an strip club operator can buy a place and open one. I don't think it would be that big of a deal (of course, the big government folks may freak out), but I'm thinking our efforts are better used to encourage property owners to bring new and different establishments to Oklahoma City via the tourist draw of Bricktown.

Doug Loudenback
01-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Even I would be against this. Do you really want Bricktown to be competing for the Red Dog's clientelle?

Come on, Midtowner. Consider the source. Jack's just baiting for the heck (er, hell) of it! :spin:

Midtowner
01-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Doug, it's a thought to consider. Do you think a 'high class' strip club might be appropriate for Bricktown? I really think it could be. If you price it high enough (say a $20 cover), it'll keep the Red Dog clientelle out.

I'm not really sure though. The climate for strip clubs here in OKC is very competitive. These people don't know the meaning of anti-trust. A friend of a friend owned one of these establishments for awhile. It didn't last very long -- the competition from Night Trips was so fierce that the owner of Night Trips would actually pay girls at this fella's establishment NOT to dance there.

At first, it seems like it might be a feasible idea -- we're not talking about someplace you take the wife and kids (well, wife maybe)upon further examination though, when the current 'establishment' feels threatened, they kick back very hard.

Doug Loudenback
01-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Doug, it's a thought to consider. Do you think a 'high class' strip club might be appropriate for Bricktown?

It's no big to me either way. But there ain't nothing finer than a beautiful woman ... pause ... well, these days, maybe the Hornets, but, of course, it's all there, isn't it?

As to the more general topic, I don't think that Bricktown is an exclusive "family only" place in the first instance. Ever take your kids (well, I know you don't have any yet, but "your" in the general sense) to a sports bar? To Hooters? Or, for that matter, to Nonna's? Even Toby Keith's? When I go to Nonna's, it's either with my wife or some other good friend who would appreciate it (including the cost)... kids are probably just as happy, maybe more, going over to the Sonic, and it sure costs a heck of a lot less!

Midtowner
01-24-2006, 10:09 PM
I agree as to the pointlessness of rejecting a business because it's not family friendly. How many 12 year olds would actually be admitted to this hypothetical strip club?

Anyhow, The folks with kids sometimes forget that the rest of us also like to have a good time.

Strip clubs aren't really for me -- the crowds and noise just aren't to my liking, but who am I to stand in someone else's fun?

I wouldn't mind seeing such a business in Bricktown, but due to the above reasons, I don't see it happening.

Doug Loudenback
01-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Strip clubs aren't really for me -- the crowds and noise just aren't to my liking ...
Uh, Midtowner, you gave yourself away! :boff: Sounds to me like you've been there, done that, else how would you know? :tweeted:

The last time I went to Hooters with my wife was the last time I will go to Hooters with my wife! And that's not even a strip joint! I think that part of my tongue is still lying on the floor there, somewhere! :kicking: She noticed that I noticed. It wasn't pretty. :surrender

On the other hand, we join her daughter and her husband to go a "real" strip joint on I-244 many years ago, and she thought nothing of it. Go figure.

Midtowner
01-24-2006, 10:47 PM
I went for a friend's 21st. That must have been about 5 years ago. That's the only time I've been to an OKC strip club.

Other than that, I'll admit that the last time I was afforded an opportunity to go with the future mrs., I declined.

Hooters on the other hand has excellent wings... and breasts and thighs..

yep.

TStheThird
01-24-2006, 11:13 PM
There is a tattoo parlor by Maker's called First Amendment Tattoo Company. Here is some of their work...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/thetattooedones/inkbytonybess_edited.jpg

Supposedly, they make more than enough to cover the fines of doing business in this great state.

Doug Loudenback
01-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I went for a friend's 21st. That must have been about 5 years ago. That's the only time I've been to an OKC strip club.

Other than that, I'll admit that the last time I was afforded an opportunity to go with the future mrs., I declined.
You may come to regret your passed by opportunity!

Hooters on the other hand has excellent wings... and breasts and thighs.. yep.

That says it all!

Doug Loudenback
01-24-2006, 11:17 PM
There is a tattoo parlor by Maker's called First Amendment Tattoo Company. Here is some of their work...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/thetattooedones/inkbytonybess_edited.jpg

Supposedly, they make more than enough to cover the fines of doing business in this great state.

Uh, the only word that comes to mind is "gross". Hope that's not YOUR back, and if it is, no offense intended ... to each his/her own. For me, I'm kinda fond of my skin "as is", even if getting more wrinkled by the day!

TStheThird
01-24-2006, 11:18 PM
I am not a big fan... It was the only picture that I could find on the web.

Doug Loudenback
01-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Off topic, TStheThird, but are you going to the Hornets game tomorrow (well, by now to-) night? I don't have tickets and as it's a sell out, unless some Hornets God breaks through the heavens to swoop me inside the Ford Center, I'll not be there. If your going, I'm hoping you take some good pics and let me leach some of them off of you!

TStheThird
01-24-2006, 11:35 PM
I do not think that I am going, but if I run into some tickets tomorrow, I will definantly take some pics and send them your way.

Doug Loudenback
01-24-2006, 11:56 PM
I do not think that I am going, but if I run into some tickets tomorrow, I will definantly take some pics and send them your way.
Thanks, my man! I may actually go downtown and see if I can get a cheap or other 1 seat ticket from the local scalpers ... who can say what will happen? Let me know.

For those of you who don't, TStheThird kindly made his 1/10/06 Detroit Pistons available to me ... go to http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/HornetsPics.htm and scroll down to that game. Great pics!

Sorry to digress from the topic ... promise to be better ... sometime.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-25-2006, 10:53 AM
You don't need strip clubs in Bricktown. There seems to be plenty of them around town as it is. Go about 3-5 miles west on Reno and you hit a couple of them on May.

Midtowner
01-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Let the market decide :)

BG918
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I think a really classy strip club, something better than Night Trips, would work well in Bricktown. It doesn't need to be on the canal but maybe east on Sheridan or Reno? Make the east part of Bricktown more adult-oriented? Nothing sleazy though, just a very classy strip club with beautiful women and great food to match!

OKCNDN
01-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Any club at Bricktown would most likely be off to the side, like by the tracks north of Crabtown, on the far east end or other out of the way place. It would definitely not be by the canal, theater, ballpark, or by Bricktown Brewery.

I don't know if a high-class strip club with $20 cover would work in OKC. Many people would feel like "hey I can go to night trips for $6 bucks and see the same thing". I know I would. There would definitely have to be locals coming, there isn't enough tourist traffic to support a club so it would definitely have to be competitive on the cover/drinks. Nothing in Bricktown would survive if it weren't for the locals, OKC people.

I think a club would definitely be busy on Hornets game nights, both before and after. Also on New year's, fourth of july, NCAA tournament, BIG XII baseball tournament nights,etc.. But about the rest of the year or regular weeknight, I don't know. Would people drive to Bricktown to go to a Gentlemen's club? If there is free parking then it might have a chance but if it's pay-to-park then that cut's down chances of success greatly.

I do know that there would be tremendous competition from those clubs already in town, particularly night trips. They would be fighting over the same clientele and dancers.