View Full Version : TASK FORCE - investigating OCURA, etc.

metro
01-23-2006, 12:02 PM
I thought I would start this thread to guage interest in who all would be willing to donate their time, resources, and expertise into launching a task force investigating the practices of OCURA, Airport Authority, etc. It's obvious to the public that they are not acting in the public's best interest.

Pete
01-23-2006, 12:06 PM
I could help by collect and posting OCURA meeting minutes and doing any webhosting and basic web design that may be needed.

I already have a few of the minutes scanned and posted here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/ocura.htm

metro
01-23-2006, 12:09 PM
great Malibu. what would be good if we could all chip in and buy a website like www.oklahomacityurbanrenewal.com or www.ocura.com or something before they do. then, anyone trying to go to their website gets all the information

Pete
01-23-2006, 12:12 PM
I would also suggest that we come up with some goals, such as:

1. Gathering and posting all meeting minutes.
2. Doing the same (and archiving) all related news articles.
3. Having someone attend meetings and related hearings.
4. Pick specific items to investigate, such as:
- How do similar agencies in successful cities operate (best practices)
- How does OCURA market available properties?
- Do they have a formal process for evaluating submissions?
- If not, are there templates other cities are using for the same?
- What properties do they own currently?
- How are these properties appraised in value?

If we could agree to the tasks (in some order of priority) we could then solicit volunteers.

We could also arrange periodic conference calls to coordinate activities.

Midtowner
01-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Could a mod please merge the appropriate info from the Henderson thread?

metro
01-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Malibu, these are excellent points. One thing I would like to comment on is that these are things that should not be decided online but rather at the first meeting, then we can set a strategic plan and call to action.

Pete
01-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Just throwing those out as possible ideas...

Another obvious task would be to interview various parties that would have insight and possibly constructive criticism of OCURA.

I would love to hear from people like Anthony McDermid to get their perspective and could probably do that while keeping their identity anonymous.

The whole reason agencies like OCURA are never challenged is because the business community in OKC is small and there can be a high price to pay for pi$$ing off the powers that be.

But that's where the web can really help because we can get information out there without anyone having to put their career and future ambition on the line.

Midtowner
01-23-2006, 12:39 PM
MS -- you'd have to be a very credible media outlet before someone like McDermid would put his career on the line based on your promise of confidentiality.

Best if at first the investigation focus on the paper trail left behind. If it's a mere 'fill in the blanks' speculative venture, fine. Start small, think big.

Pete
01-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Very true about McDermid... He has way too much on the line.

I wish I could have a couple of beers with him and find out what he *really* thinks. :)

writerranger
01-23-2006, 02:51 PM
There are some excellent ideas here. I would suggest a password-protected Wiki, or something like Backpack (http://www.backpackit.com/). This could work as a collaborative online effort to collate, merge and study documents, photographs, news stories, etc. (all of which can be uploaded to the Backpack site). It would offer a place to write notes, to-do list, volunteer assignments, etc. It should be password protected as it would be a site only for the work of the "task force" or "citizen's investigation committee."

Really, it's way overdue.

Great idea!

On edit: I have some thoughts I would like to share, but can't PM or email anybody here because I haven't paid my $50 to become a Premium Member - yet. I will when I have fifty extra dollars to give. My email is:
http://www.hidetext.net/hide/1KUWEhCOky.gif

Midtowner
01-23-2006, 02:56 PM
I would be happy to offer my services in whatever capacity that I can. Keep in mind that as someone who works full time and then goes to school at night, my time is scarce. For something like this, if I can access it on the web, I will certainly be happy to help.

If someone sets up a site like you're suggesting white, just drop me a PM and I'll do what I can to help out.

Patrick
01-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Could a mod please merge the appropriate info from the Henderson thread?

Since this thread is more general in relation to OCURA, I'll simply link the Henderson thread here:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=5340

metro
01-24-2006, 03:32 PM
thanks Patrick

metro
01-31-2006, 03:49 PM
anyone else interested in helping out this good cause?

okclee
03-28-2006, 08:03 PM
What is the latest on this investigation ?

Patrick
03-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Hey metro, if you decide you want to get a group together to meet and discuss this, let me know a time and place. I'd love to join in a meeting to discuss this. You coordinate it and I'll be there.

Patrick
03-29-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure Keith would go as well. And I have a pretty good idea Midtowner might be interested. But, he can speak for himself on that.

If you decide to meet, we'll let Steve know...I'm sure he'd be interested in coming to our first meeting. We could even invite Mick Cornett to later meetings. I know I could get him there to speak, and let us know more about OCURA. Of course he probably wouldn't be on our side, but it would still be interesting to hear his input.

Pete
03-29-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm still willing to help in any way I can from Cali.

metro
03-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Let me see what I can do. I've been meeting privately with folks.

John
03-29-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm in. Let me know if you need anything done.