View Full Version : foundation repair knowledge

keving
01-21-2006, 09:13 PM
I am going to need some foundation repair done soon. However, I know there are different types of systems out there (cable lock, lifts, etc).

Has anyone had any experience with any of these or can recommend one? Also, is one type better than the other for this area?

Thanks for your suggestions.

mranderson
01-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Olshan. They are very reasonable in price and do excellent follow up and warranty service if needed.

Oki_Man5
01-22-2006, 07:17 AM
This (needed foundation repair) is something that has puzzled me for quite some time. With all the codes and required tests that must be done before a structure is erected, and all adding to the bottom line price of the structure, why is there such a need for foundation repair?

Are the codes and tests just to raise the prices, so more taxes will have to be paid on the higher cost of the structure not to mention the extra interest paid on the larger loan which will eventually add to taxes paid on earnings, or do they actually catch some structural mistakes before they happen?

Now on a high rise or some super-large structure that will be filled with lots and lots of people, that is another matter separate from a single-family home that is probably being built on a concrete slab with a footing.

Maybe they could pour the money that would be paid to some engineering firm to get these tests into a bit more or stronger concrete and rebar and cut down on the broken bricks as a result of shifting foundations. It is unlikely that a properly constructed single-family especially single-story home is going to completely collapse as a result of this.

Pete

Karried
01-22-2006, 07:26 AM
It's the Oklahoma soil contraction and swelling. The drought has definitely left foundations sinking and shifting... the water tables are at all time lows.

There are many companies who will give free estimates. I wouldn't do anything without at least 4-5 different estimates and always use a company that offers a lifetime guarantee ( that will help in selling your home in the future... once you have had foundation repair, it will need to be disclosed on your Disclosures... having a warranty will alleviate any concerns for potential homebuyers.)

I have seen ads for RamJack and American but there are many out there, getting them to come out is a problem right now since so many people are having problems with cracks.

You can expect to pay around $500.00 per pier from what I have heard - you may need a few or you may need quite a few. I have heard of people needing 19-20 piers.. Homeowner's insurance doesn't cover it typically unless it is determined that you have a water leak - but first check with your insurance.

Good luck, I know it's a pain - I'm starting to see cracks in my house too... just what I want to spend money on!

Oki_Man5
01-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Maybe take a few garden hoses and lay them around the foundation to saturate the soil and let that bring it back into place----there will be no record of it that way either.

It should have been done before visible damage occurred tho I know, but who knows, amybe the saturation will move all the stuff back into perfect alignment?

Midtowner
01-22-2006, 08:39 AM
2 things to do (I know nothing about foundation repair, but this holds true for all contractors):

1) Look them up on oscn.net. Bring up the website, go to "Court Dockets", click "search dockets", change the pulldown bar from "Appellate Courts" to "Search All Oklahoma Counties", go down to the last name part and enter the business name. Hit "enter" and see how many times they've been sued and for what.

2) Make sure they've been in business for at least 5 years. I wouldn't touch any construction contractor that hasn't been around at least that long.

Karried
01-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Good points Midtowner.... but I have to add, that my husband with over 20 years construction experience in Silicon Valley/Bay Area CA started his company here in OK just this year... even though he doesn't have the 5 years behind him in this state.. he is an wonderful reputable contractor who does great work (not foundation work, interior commercial work) but my point is, that there are some exceptions to the five years in business rule. :spin:

Just do a thorough interview and ask for references & referrals. Don't ever pay in full with smaller contractors until the job is 100% complete and work orders and changes are finished to your satisfaction.

Watering is good for the foundation, I think I read about soaker hoses placed strategically - I don't know now how it might reverse any damage but it's worth a try.. I would google Foundations OK and see what comes up.. I learned a lot about it by reading different articles.

keving
01-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Maybe take a few garden hoses and lay them around the foundation to saturate the soil and let that bring it back into place----there will be no record of it that way either.

It should have been done before visible damage occurred tho I know, but who knows, amybe the saturation will move all the stuff back into perfect alignment?

I have been reading on various websites that this is one way to help prevent foundation damage. Although, there are warnings on over watering as well.

Thanks!

Midtowner
01-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Good points Midtowner.... but I have to add, that my husband with over 20 years construction experience in Silicon Valley/Bay Area CA started his company here in OK just this year... even though he doesn't have the 5 years behind him in this state.. he is an wonderful reputable contractor who does great work (not foundation work, interior commercial work) but my point is, that there are some exceptions to the five years in business rule. :spin:

Another way to do this would be to have the payment for the job held in escrow until the work was completed per the contract.