View Full Version : Teens Lose their Lives

Keith
01-21-2006, 06:11 PM
http://www.newsok.com/tempimages/j21fire.jpg

Wynnewood crash kills teens, sparks fire

By Chad Previch and Robert Medley
The Oklahoman

WYNNEWOOD - Two high school students died in a car crash Friday afternoon in Garvin County, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol reported.

Troopers said 17-year-olds Stella Ashley Shenette Briley and Michael Stewart Lee died in the crash. They were both from Wynnewood.

Wynnewood Gazette Publisher Larry Russell said the two were girlfriend and boyfriend. She said Stella was on Wynnewood High School’s basketball team, and the couple were returning from lunch.

“They were two of the best kids you would ever want to know,” said Russell, who has taken basketball photos of Briley. “It just makes me sick.
“It’s always a shame to lose kids, especially when they are good kids like that who are good students and nice to be around.”

Troopers said Lee was driving a pickup at a high speed on State Highway 29 when his vehicle collided with a tractor-trailer rig turning into a driveway. The vehicles came to rest 30 feet from the site of the collision.

The pickup caught fire and the couple were trapped for an hour. They were pronounced dead at the scene of massive injuries.

The tractor-trailer driver, identified by troopers as Dmitri Andre Thompson, 35, of Oklahoma City was treated at the scene.

Principal John Turner said he didn’t know how staff and students would honor the two because they were still in shock.

“They will be missed a bunch,” he said, adding that Briley was an honor student. “They were very popular kids.”

The school has about 205 students.

The wreck occurred about 12:30 p.m. and sparked a grass fire that destroyed 65 acres, one building, two race cars and a bass boat.

Fire crews from five departments extinguished the grass fire, the sheriff’s office said.
Kathie Mullins sprayed her back yard and home before flames engulfed an aluminum shop building on her property.
“I went out to try to hose it down, but I felt the heat and I thought it was time to go,” she said. “I’m just glad my house is still here. If it hadn’t been for all the firemen, it probably wouldn’t be.”

Another tragic accident that could have been avoided if the teenager had been a responsible driver. Now there are two families and a high school grieving the loss of two lives.