View Full Version : Tulsa's new arena

swake
09-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Here are photos of the design by Cesar Pelli for the arena, construction to begin in July '05

http://www.kotv.com/main/projects/newArena.asp#_self

Luke
09-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Very nice! I hope it kick starts a renaissance like OKC! I wish Tulsa the best. After all, it's great for Oklahoma.

mranderson
09-29-2004, 08:19 PM
I will show both sides of myself on this one. Even if I can not stand something, someone or someplace, when they do well, I admit it.

If that is the final design for the arena, the exterior makes the Ford Center look cheap.

Fine as long as Tulsa does not get the Major League teams Oklahoma City deserves.

Joe Schmoe
09-29-2004, 08:41 PM
I 've been thinking more lately about ideas for a monument, tall oil derick, etc. as a landmark for OKC, ala the St Louis arch, & I think that an outstanding archtectural piece would be the best idea.

The proposed Tulsa arena is an example of this kind of forward thinking design.

Chicago's new Millenium Park comes to mind:
http://archrecord.construction.com/news/daily/archives/040720chicago.asp
http://www.millenniumpark.org/home.htm

Frank Gehry's Spanish museum:
http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Guggenheim_Bilbao.html

or his Experience Music Project in Seattle:
http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Experience_Music_Project.html

Even Wright's Guggenheim Museum:
http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Guggenheim_Museum.html

Great Cities have great architecture. A landmark that doesn't have a life, would be a static monument to simple hubris. A building that has function & interaction with the citizens would be a more fitting landmark.

Go for it Tulsa.

floater
09-29-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm instinctively jealous, but with all my heart, I hope Tulsa gets it. Rival city or not, it's great to have great architecture nearby. Cesar Pelli is known for his glass-rich walls and soaring ceilings that let light through, characterized by Washington's National Airport terminal. Congrats to Tulsa for getting him.

I think, why can't OKC have world-famous architecture? Well, we do. The Crystal Bridge (as well as the Myrial Gardens plan) was designed by I.M. Pei, who drew up the Louvre addition in Paris and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The National Memorial grounds and new Federal Building have been lauded nationally. As has the funky Stage Center theatre complex. And I guarantee that the Cheseapeake Boathouse will generate attention as a sports venue: Rand Elliott is a fixture in Architectural Record magazine.

But I wanna have more. The way trends are going, any world-class architecture will not occur in Bricktown. Where it will occur is most likely in the arts district or on the riverfront -- where museums and institutions (like schools) will most likely place.

Patrick
09-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks swake for providing these photos. I'm extremely impressed with the vision Tulsa is using here. As usual, Tulsa is keeping its first class, artistic image in shape with these new designs. Although I love OKC dearly, I think the two designs (ours and Tulsa's) clearly show the different motives fo the two cities. OKC wants to be a large city at all costs. We want to be like Dallas. On the other hand, Tulsa is satisfied with being a large regional city, but they don't sacrifice architecture and creativity for size. Tulsa values its culture and community over population growth. Tulsa values quality, not quantity. Nothing wrong with that. I think that's why so many people love the beauty of Tulsa. Their arena will be special and unique, while ours is just another sports arena.
Although I love my home city, Tulsa has always had a special place in my heart.....I always love going there, just to see the different class that Tulsa has to offer.

Nuclear_2525
09-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I'm glad that everyone is wishing Tulsa the best...we all wish OKC the best too! As for great architecture, I hope this new arena doesn't just kickstart downtown revitilization, but i also hope it kick starts a rennaisance in Tulsa's architecture. There is another building currently being built that is architecturally awesome, the new Warren Clinic office/retail building, as well as others I'm sure. I just hope that great architecture like this continues to pop up all over the city!

Patrick
09-29-2004, 11:30 PM
I know you Tulsans get down about your city a lot of times, but the architecture alone is a great attraction! One need not go further than Oral Roberts University. That place is simply amazing. Anyways, our cities each have something different to offer. You guys seem to offer more of an artistic, upscale, classy feel! Everytime I go to Tulsa I just love driving through the old historic neighborhoods. Philbrook is a great example of Tulsa culture. That place is simply magnificent.

Sure OKC offers a great urban flavor, with many attractions of its own, some bigger and better than Tulsa, but we just don't have that classy artistic culture. There's no reason for you guys ever to feel bad about your city. I enjoy Tulsa everytime I visit. In fact, I'm looking forward to my trip up to the Tulsa State Fair this weekend. I've never been to the Tulsa State Fair....I'm looking forward to attending.

Patrick
09-29-2004, 11:44 PM
By the way, here's the article from today's Oklahoman:

"Tulsa arena designs shown

By Jack Money
The Oklahoman

TULSA - The new 18,000-seat arena planned for Tulsa will reflect the city’s excitement about the future, renowned architect Cesar Pelli said Wednesday.
The proposed building features art deco elements, glass and a flowing superstructure reminding one of American Indian headdresses and the Arkansas River.

But, Pelli said, “What it really speaks about is a city of Tulsa that is very self-competent and is anxious to move into the future. It announces a better future, which I think downtown Tulsa is going to have.”

Pelli, of Cesar Pelli and Associates, discussed the arena’s design during an unveiling before about 400 people attending a Rotary Club of Tulsa luncheon.

County and city leaders intend to build the arena on four blocks of downtown land just north of an existing cluster of public buildings, including one housing downtown’s existing convention center and arena.

The project is being funded by Vision 2025, a multi-faceted tax package to improve Tulsa County and its communities. While it is being built as part of a bigger, $183 million project intended to also renovate Tulsa’s convention center, the new arena is considered by many as the centerpiece of the Vision 2025 plan.

Planners estimate they will be able to spend up to $140 million on the arena portion of the project. They hope it will open before the end of 2007.

Pelli said designers hope the arena will spark the redevelopment of Denver Avenue between First and Third streets, and then east along Second Street back toward Tulsa’s Blue Dome and Brady districts.

He told the Rotarians the designs they were seeing Wednesday will undergo further modifications as the process continues. The designs grew out of architects’ pursuing three potential options, each with different strengths.

“We carried each of those as far as we could - this one just carried on and on,” Pelli said. “Everything resonated with this scheme. So we know we are on the right track.”

Rotarians left Wednesday’s meeting impressed with what they were shown.

“I was concerned about how it would turn out,” said Tim Gilding. “But I really like the flowing design and how it fits into that area of town.

“I am a native of Tulsa, and I think it is something we can be proud of,” Gilding said.

Models were shown later at an open-house event in The Mayo building.

Pelli said there will be ample area parking available in garages, on surface lots and on city streets. When it comes to seating, he said, designers intend for each seat’s width to exceed industry standards.

He said designs will have to progress further before questions about how the arena and convention center will work together can be answered. "