View Full Version : Business's you would like to see come to OKC?!

diesel
01-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Cosi
http://www.getcosi.com/index.php

Chipotle
http://www.chipotle.com/

Qdoba
http://www.qdoba.com/

very good places to eat.. !!

metro
01-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Isn't a Chipotle already coming?

Midtowner
01-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Medieval Times

metro
01-20-2006, 07:57 AM
absolutely, I would rather have seen a Medieval Times than a Bass Pro

diesel
01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
I remember seeing something about the Chipotle but I dont remember where.. Anyone remember that?!

metro
01-20-2006, 11:09 AM
I think Memorial Rd. but I could be wrong

Midtowner
01-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Dave & Busters needs to be in Bricktown.

jdsplaypin
01-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Qdoba is bad. Stillwater has one

metro
01-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I'd like to see the ocean move to Oklahoma, j/k

Luke
01-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Cheesecake Factory or Grand Lux Cafe.

metro
01-20-2006, 02:56 PM
ehh, not original enough, those are sprouting up everywhere just like hard rock, we need something more original

citizenkane
01-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Restoration Hardware and a pet shop specializing in exotic rats.

JOHNINSOKC
01-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Sega Gameworks, Whole Foods Market, Albertson's Grocery Store, Nordstrom's, Macy's, Saks Fifth Avenue, Dick Clark's Ab Grill, Etc......

fromdust
01-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Sega Gameworks, Whole Foods Market, Albertson's Grocery Store, Nordstrom's, Macy's, Saks Fifth Avenue, Dick Clark's Ab Grill, Etc......

dude. there are already albertsons here.

fromdust
01-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Isn't a Chipotle already coming?

i heard that chipotle was some sort of mcdonalds spin-off.

oh, midtowner. i am with you on the medeival times.

jbrown84
01-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Restoration Hardware
Dick's Sporting Goods
REI
Cheesecake Factory
Ruth's Chris
Wild Oats
Whole Foods
NikeTown
Nordstrom
Saks Fifth Avenue
Improv Comedy Clubs

mranderson
01-21-2006, 03:48 PM

In addition, Macy's will enter the market this year. Planet Hollywood is bankrupt and passe', Hard Rock Cafe is a loud, boring place with bad food, Sak's is in a bit of trouble as well.

On Chapolte. It is NOT owned by McDonalds. Nor was it founded by them. Scan through their very badly designed website and read the history of that place.

John
01-21-2006, 04:22 PM
On Chapolte. It is NOT owned by McDonalds. Nor was it founded by them. Scan through their very badly designed website and read the history of that place.

McD's has invested heavily in Chipotle, and since their involvement, the chain has become the fastest growing chain of mexican restaurants.

TheImmortal
01-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Is a cheesecake factory not already planned for OKC? I heard they were building one near penn square mall somewhere.

Patrick
01-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Penn Square is still negotiating with Cheese Cake Factory for one of their north parcels, near the bank. Probably wouldn't see Cheesecake Factory until at least late 2007, early 2008. Things could change though. Penn Square had a lease with Carrabbas for the old Wards site, but when Olive Garden decided to locate across the street, Penn Square changed directions. We'll have to wait and see regarding Cheesecake Factory.

JOHNINSOKC
01-22-2006, 03:35 PM
As for Albertson's, I'm talking about locating one DOWNTOWN! It doesn't necessarily have to be one in particular. I would just like to see a grocery store in that area just like most people.

BFizzy
01-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Here are a few that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

www.berryhilltamales.com
www.ruthschris.com
www.bajafresh.com
www.rolypoly.com
www.centralmarket.com
www.cpk.com
www.tinstar.us
www.in-n-out.com
www.jodimaroni.com
www.anthropologie.com
www.rubios.com
www.zgallerie.com
www.bigbowl.com
www.crateandbarrel.com
www.falafelkitchen.com
www.ikea.com
www.nordstrom.com
www.rei.com
www.macys.com
www.cabelas.com
www.coffeebeanery.com
www.einsteinbros.com
www.quiktrip.com
www.eatzis.com
www.hm.com
www.seattlesbest.com
www.storehouse.com

oSutrooper
01-23-2006, 09:20 AM
I would love to see the following

QT or Stop and Go's
A real texas 7-11 lol
a large outlet mall like in in Grapevine
Jack in the Box
Boston Market
Dairy Queen

Stinger
01-23-2006, 09:42 AM
BFizzy - TinStar is great...I'd like to see that too. I've been to the one in Dallas on visits. Dallas also has Cafe Express that would go over very well here in the Quail Springs, Penn Square, or downtown areas.

JOHNINSOKC
01-23-2006, 07:32 PM
QT will not come to OKC because of an agreement between the person that owns 7-11 of Oklahoma and QT corporate. I'm not sure of all the details, but they will not have 7-11 in Tulsa either.
Now, a Boston Market would be great to have on OKC. I've been to the one in Grapevine, TX and it was really good. I think they are better than any sandwich place we have here.

fromdust
01-24-2006, 12:49 PM
McD's has invested heavily in Chipotle, and since their involvement, the chain has become the fastest growing chain of mexican restaurants.

thanks for clearing that up for me.

oSutrooper
01-26-2006, 07:27 AM
How about shoney's?

swake
01-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Tin Star is great, really interesting and great food in a semi-fast food setting. Tulsa has one on Riverside near Jenks. Another new place in Tulsa is Qdoba, they just opened three locations and they have great tex-mex food too.

swake
01-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Tin Star is great, really interesting and great food in a semi-fast food setting. Tulsa has one on Riverside near Jenks. Another new place in Tulsa is Qdoba, they just opened three locations and they have great tex-mex food too.

metro
01-26-2006, 08:27 AM
We used to have Shoney's but they left the market years ago. As far as Boston Market, I think we have them in the outlying areas of the metro, they run commercials all the time on local, not regional networks. Perhaps Norman or MWC? We do still need more of them though

Moondog
01-26-2006, 02:09 PM
As far as Boston Market, I think we have them in the outlying areas of the metro, they run commercials all the time on local, not regional networks. Perhaps Norman or MWC? We do still need more of them though

Sorry, no Boston Market here. A friend and I did a search online for Boston Market locations. The nearest locations are (of course) in Dallas.

My friend and I both lived in KC, and ate at Boston Market at least once or twice a month. It's one of the chains I'd really love to see here.

I'd like to know why OKC seems to be the last to get certain chains? We didn't get Starbucks until 2001, which by then every other major city in the country seemed to have them. Still no Cheesecake Factory, which again, every other big city seems to have one.

By the way, if you ever go to Boston Market, be sure to try the Oatmeal Butterscotch cookies. I also love their chicken and sweet potatos. Yum!

writerranger
01-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Boston Market is franchised. They are a subsidiary of McDonald's. I suppose one could be here if someone wanted to buy a franchise. I like them because it's decent home cooking at a decent price. BM also owns another chain called Rotisserie Grill (http://www.rotisseriegrill.com). These are not franchised and are company-owned. It's more upscale with really good food.

metro
01-26-2006, 02:38 PM
One main reason franchises are the last to locate here is because of our population density. Since OKC has incorporated land that technically isn't even inhabited, clear past Yukon up to Piedmont, etc. Our population density numbers aren't quite true numbers versus the actual population of the actual metro area, not city limits. Once we get our numbers up there or unincorporate unused land. We will see development at a quicker pace

BFizzy
01-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Atomic Burrito was way better than Qdoba.

Moondog
01-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Chipotle rules! Qdoba, Moe's, not even in the same league. I tried Moe's and will never go back. Plus I can't stand hearing "Welcome to Moe's" being shouted at every customer who walks in the door. And don't get me started on the stupid names of their burritos -- what the hell does "Joey bag o' doughnuts" mean? And Qdoba -- it just plain sucks. It's owned by Jack in the Box.

swake
01-27-2006, 01:15 PM
The guys that owned Atomic Burrito sold to Qdoba and now have Los Cabos at the Riverwalk. Los Cabos is great when you can get in.

swake
01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
The guys that owned Atomic Burrito sold to Qdoba and now have Los Cabos at the Riverwalk. Los Cabos is great when you can get in.

metro
01-27-2006, 01:39 PM
I agree, Moe's well bl**s, did I just say that?

OKCNDN
01-28-2006, 04:28 PM
ESPNZONE.

I would also like to see a Blake's Lotaburger come to OKC. They are a standard burger and fries joint but man are they good. Currently they are only in NM.

shane453
01-28-2006, 06:27 PM
One main reason franchises are the last to locate here is because of our population density. Since OKC has incorporated land that technically isn't even inhabited, clear past Yukon up to Piedmont, etc. Our population density numbers aren't quite true numbers versus the actual population of the actual metro area, not city limits. Once we get our numbers up there or unincorporate unused land. We will see development at a quicker pace

A few weeks ago I was discussing the unincorporation of a lot of unused land on another forum. I decided to use the 2000 Census zip code data to find the true density of the most populous strip of OKC. Unfortunately since I used zip codes I wasn't able to separate the populations of island cities like the Village, Nichols Hills, etc., but really those are okay to include in population density estimates for OKC, I think.

Anyway, I chose 28 zip codes. 524,837 people lived in 212.54 sq mi land area at the time of the 2000 census, for a average density of 2469.36/sqmi. The most dense zip code was central downtown (73102), at 4,794/sq mi. 73119 zip code in SW OKC had 4,765/sq mi. 73106 adjacent to downtown had 4,421/sq mi.

okcpulse
01-29-2006, 02:12 PM
A few weeks ago I was discussing the unincorporation of a lot of unused land on another forum. I decided to use the 2000 Census zip code data to find the true density of the most populous strip of OKC. Unfortunately since I used zip codes I wasn't able to separate the populations of island cities like the Village, Nichols Hills, etc., but really those are okay to include in population density estimates for OKC, I think.

Anyway, I chose 28 zip codes. 524,837 people lived in 212.54 sq mi land area at the time of the 2000 census, for a average density of 2469.36/sqmi. The most dense zip code was central downtown (73102), at 4,794/sq mi. 73119 zip code in SW OKC had 4,765/sq mi. 73106 adjacent to downtown had 4,421/sq mi.

Hence why I don't buy into population density versus city limits. It is REALLY NOT an accurate picture. I did the same study, and believe it or not, those same ZIP codes are contiguous, so I wasn't 'gerimandering' as I was accused of on the Tulsa forums.

shane453
01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Additionally, if OKC limits were just a 10 mile circle around downtown, the population would have been 536,000 in 2000, and the area would be about 314 sq mi.

I wish that OKC would seriously consider dropping a lot of the extra land. It's ridiculous that most of our population fits into 200 sq mi and people on other forums (TulsaNow) can use math to say that OKC density is 800/sq mi. It also encourages sprawling facilities for companies. If they don't drop a lot of the land, they could at least legislate that certain areas can't be developed until they are desperately needed.

HOT ROD
01-30-2006, 02:36 PM
I have been a proponent for deannexation of OKC's unused land for a long time. Good to have another voice, Shane.

I too did similar calculations, especially since SkyScraperpage.com had a forum about what the city density in proportion to Manhattan's area if you MUST include the CBD.

Most cities are way lower than Manhattan, with Chicago, SF, and LA the next in line. I concluded that if you placed the area of manhattan over OKC with the CBD included - we'd have a density of 3.4K per mile. Not bad, especially since our overall city density is officially supposed to be 831.

I think cities should use this calculator for density. Inner city density. That gives a much more accurate picture of the urban landscape. And 3500 people in 2000 for 73102 is not bad (the zip code is less than 1 sq mile, so when you calc density it comes to 4500). As we add more people to downtown, we could have density of 10,000 people in that sq mile - right in line with many other large cities - and ours would be downtown!!!

windowphobe
01-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Of course, since the actual Census figure in 2000 was around 506,000, you've got to wonder how those extra thirty thousand people showed up by reducing the size of the city by half.

Oh, right: you included all those suburbs which don't actually belong to the city and most likely never will.

But hey, it's business, right?

shane453
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Yes; those cities technically are not counted in the population of OKC- but since they ARE part of the population density of OKC as they are surrounded by OKC, I decided to include them. Still, I don't think that much population was lost by cutting away most of the city.

One thing that is strange about OKC is that the population is mostly along a north-south line. If you look at a density map you'll see. The population is not centered around the inner city as one might expect in the typical city.

writerranger
01-30-2006, 06:01 PM
The problem is our economic demographics within these denser areas. It doesn't quite compare to other cities does it? I might be wrong.

OKCNDN
01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
I think having more $ per person would also help. It doesn't help much if you have alot of people that can't spend much on luxury items. OKC needs higher paying jobs as much or more than it needs more people.

windowphobe
01-31-2006, 04:56 PM
The thing is, anyone who does their homework can figure out exactly what the numbers are, down to the block; and anyone who doesn't do their homework is going to fail anyway.

(Per capita income is on the low side, yes, and lower cost of living doesn't entirely compensate.)

bandnerd
01-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Back to the topic at hand--

Bring on a Crate&Barrel! I love gettin their catalogs, great looking stuff.

It would also be nice to have a Boston Market, though I don't eat out at chains like that much, their food always looked so good in the commercials.

bandnerd
01-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Oh yeah, and bring on the Medieval Times! That place is frackin' awesome!

diesel
02-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I would like to know when Urban Outfitters is going to build here?!? That would be awesome..

fromdust
02-10-2006, 12:46 PM
i would have liked to seen a regional hub for ups, fed ex, or dhl. we are central, it makes sence.

Urban Pioneer
02-14-2006, 06:41 PM
I wish we had a Restoration Hardware shop. The one in Tulsa at Utica Square is awesome.

HOT ROD
02-20-2006, 07:14 PM
i would have liked to seen a regional hub for ups, fed ex, or dhl. we are central, it makes sence.

Actually UPS has a regional transportation hub in OKC.

The others have significant air cargo ops in the city!