View Full Version : Supermarket Idea For Downtown

okcpulse
01-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Today, my wife and I paid a visit to World Market here in Texas. It was a wonderful store, carrying imported foods from all over the world. And it doesn't stop there. World Market also carries classy furniture which includes dining tables, desks, sitting places and china. World Market also carries a huge inventory of wine, champagne and imported beer (World Market sells the beer at room temperature, but people buy it anyway).

Last week, I paid a visit to Specs. Specs is a liquor market here in Texas that carries a large inventory if wine, liquor, beer, and party foods such as cheese, crackers, specialty meats for party trays, salsas and cigars. Specs also sells mixers, wine racks, bottle openers and even chocolates.

This is proof that liquor stores in Oklahoma can survive... even thrive... with grocery stores selling cold strong beer and wine. Specs seems to getting along great. They were busy on a Monday! Keep this in mind, also. Texas liquor stores have to close at 9PM, just like Oklahoma, and have to close on Sunday, just like Oklahoma.

So, here is my idea. Entrepreneurs, get your notebooks out. Open a 'Market' downtown that sells imported foods, health foods, grocery essentials and party foods including breads, specialty meats, cheeses, and party assortments. Lobby the legislature to allow supermarkets to carry wine and strong beer, so that the downtown market can offer wine, beer and champagne for urbanites living in Oklahoma City's urban core. Make it classy, appealing. Be sure this market offers a bagel and coffee bar, with periodicals and even a cigar cellar.

Not only will this fulfill a downtown residential demand, but it will draw outsiders as well as long as the market offers something that most supermarkets do not. Now, if we could only get Bass Pro to move to the 'burbs.

Don't even think about it Homeland. No way. :boff:

metro
01-19-2006, 08:26 AM
good post. everyone should contact their local state representative

Midtowner
01-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I see no really good reason why we can't have wine and beer in grocery stores.

mmm... beeer.