View Full Version : Lower Bricktown name changing

Jack
01-16-2006, 10:33 PM
I recommend that we change the name of Lower Bricktown to Memorial Road Square. Anyone with me?

mranderson
01-17-2006, 05:02 AM
I recommend that we change the name of Lower Bricktown to Memorial Road Square. Anyone with me?

Why Memorial Square?

John
01-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Why Memorial Square?

Because thats what it looks like and is turning into. :Smiley127

BDP
01-17-2006, 09:46 AM
I actually would love a name change that reflects its sepeartion from the bricktown aesthetic. It wants to live off the bricktown name, but it is not bricktown and its use of the bricktown name dilutes bricktown marketing appeal and unique position.

I think it should be called the Lower Canal. This way it can maintain the marketing advantage of being associated with an OKC attraction, but leaves the name bricktown to be assocaited only with the area that actually LOOKS like bricktown.

Or we could follow the trend of EVERY other city and call it SoRo, for South of Reno. :tongue:

metro
01-17-2006, 10:21 AM
BDP, I like your approach. I think Lower Canal or something along those lines fit the area better. Indeed Hogan, Brewer and all the Lower Bricktown developers along with Good Old Boy William Canfield and Urban Renewal and the project with The Hill at Bricktown which is actually in historic Deep Deuce are taking advantage of the Bricktown name and ruining a good thing.

BDP
01-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Yes, there seems to be some ridiculous idea that nothing can succeed without the Bricktown name or that people won't understand where their business is if they don't call it 'Bricktown X'. What they don't realize is that if everything is called bricktown, then bricktown becomes nothing. It will soon get very confusing and bricktown proper will begin to lose idenity.

HOT ROD
01-20-2006, 03:50 PM
I was wondering why the name "Deep Duece Apartments at Bricktown" is the name of those apartments. Why couldn't they just come up with something like Cityscapes or something original instead of USING bricktown!

I mean, they arent even in Bricktown!

Now what, every new business or housing/hotel in downtown will have Bricktown in its name???

Pretty stupid!

HOT ROD
01-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Yes, there seems to be some ridiculous idea that nothing can succeed without the Bricktown name or that people won't understand where their business is if they don't call it 'Bricktown X'. What they don't realize is that if everything is called bricktown, then bricktown becomes nothing. It will soon get very confusing and bricktown proper will begin to lose idenity.

Why dont businesses put "Downtown" in their name!!!

to me, Downtown Oklahoma City has way more appeal and marketability than Bricktown.

windowphobe
01-20-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm starting to like the sound of "SoRo" myself.

BDP
01-21-2006, 10:31 AM
I was wondering why the name "Deep Duece Apartments at Bricktown" is the name of those apartments. Why couldn't they just come up with something like Cityscapes or something original instead of USING bricktown!

Yeah, that's silly. The name "Deep Duece" already tells you where it's 'at'.

jbrown84
01-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Or it could be SoCan for South Canal...

mranderson
01-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Because thats what it looks like and is turning into. :Smiley127

In what way? How is it a "memorial" square?

BDP
01-21-2006, 04:04 PM
How is it a "memorial" square?

I think he means that, with its expanse of black top and big box structures, it looks and like Memorial Road.

It's certainly closer to being like Memorial Road than it is to being anything like bricktown.

John
01-21-2006, 04:25 PM
In what way? How is it a "memorial" square?

The architecture and building quality lend themselves to Suburbia, USA, not a downtown entertainment district.

Patrick
01-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Actually he called it Memorial Road Square, not Memorial Square. I think he was making fun of the fact that it was vanilla and suburban.

The Old Downtown Guy
02-02-2006, 04:26 PM

Not as far as I can tell Jack.

I was wondering why the name "Deep Duece Apartments at Bricktown" is the name of those apartments.

All this lameness like adding "at Bricktown" to Deep Deuce Apartments is the result of people having too much time on their hands. . . .. . Go out and pick up some gum wrappers and cigarette butts or something. . . . ..... It also stems from a lack of understanding and appreciation of OKC's rich and unique history. Deep Deuce is a name from our history. Bricktown is a contrivance for marketing purposes. At least it was contrived by a person with vision; the first developer to undertake a project there, Neal Horton. If names need to be changed, let's rename Sheridan east of the tracks to Lincoln, Neal Horton Avenue. The early work he did there, the "Glass Building" and the "Confectionary Building" are still the class of Bricktown.

. . . there seems to be some ridiculous idea that nothing can succeed without the Bricktown name or that people won't understand where their business is if they don't call it 'Bricktown X'. . .

The worst case of "Bricktownizing" that I've encountered is the Bricktown Convenience store at Reno and Classen Blvd.; about seven blocks west of Bricktown.

The architecture and building quality lend themselves to Suburbia, USA, not a downtown entertainment district.

I don't totally agree that the development around the Harkins Theater is suburban. Granted, the general design and materials are similar to most strip malls and the buildings aren't all that attractive. But the buildings don't front onto a sea of parking and it's a very pedestrian oriented area. Just down the street however, Bass Pro is a good example of a bad example of near downtown development. Suburban to the core in its appeal and design.

metro
02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by HOT ROD
I was wondering why the name "Deep Duece Apartments at Bricktown" is the name of those apartments.

To my knowledge, they are not the Deep Deuce Apartments at Bricktown, just Deep Deuce Apartments. They have been one of the few who actually promote the heritage of Deep Deuce. I think you may be referring to The Hill @ Bricktown which is actually Canfields development being developed in the most prime spot in Deep Deuce and of course he and his interested party Stanton Young who also happens to be on Urban Renewal are capitalizing off the Bricktown name without any respect to the historical aspect of Deep Deuce.

HOT ROD
02-03-2006, 12:23 PM
thanks Metro. Im glad they changed the name, because I swore when I looked them up - the name was Deep Duece Apts at Bricktown.

Why couldnt they name them after something/someone historic from deep duece? Why do all new things have to be so cheezy (Bricktown this or Deep Duece this)?