View Full Version : Metro Transit to present study

HOT ROD
01-16-2006, 02:43 PM
OK Oklahoma City, lets start talking rapid transit!

Hope everyone can attend a meeting, especially the one in Downtown OKC!

From Journal Record,

1/16/2006

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority has scheduled three public meetings to present the recommendations of the Fixed Guideway Transit System Plan.

The meetings are scheduled from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Jan. 23 at the McAlpine Center, 400 W. California Ave., Oklahoma City; 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 24 at the Norman Library, 225 N. Webster, Norman; and 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Jan. 24 at the Edmond Library, 10 S. Boulevard, Edmond.

The presentation will include the system plan, the phased implementation plan, capital and operating costs and funding strategies.

"The announcement we plan to make at the community meetings is extremely exciting," said Rick Cain, COTPA administrator. "Though this is only the first phase of many, the future of public transportation in the Metro Area definitely looks bright."

More information on the Fixed Guideway Study is available by calling (405) 608-0445 or from www.okfgs.org (http://www.okfgs.org) . Carter & Burgess Inc., a Fort Worth-based transportation firm, is the lead consultant conducting the study.

Patrick
01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Glad to see the Fixed Guideway Transit System Plan is finally complete. I'll be ineterested to hear the results.

HOT ROD
01-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah,

I hope everyone who can - will attend a session. I especially hope the downtown one will be well represented. I think we need to start downtown with transit as the population continues to grow - and a good representation downtown would mean that downtown residents could get the first voice!

As I was taught, First to Market - First to profit!

Continue the Renaissance

The Old Downtown Guy
01-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the notice Hot Rod. I attended a couple of the planning sessions and am looking forward to seeing what they came up with. I will definitely make it to the McAlpine Center on Jan. 23.

travis
01-16-2006, 08:44 PM
You can already see most of their results on the web site under the "steering committee" link. I've been watching this for a while and it appears to be a pretty good study. Carter-Burgess is a pretty reputable engineering firm (one of my companies biggest competitors). I am a little disappointed with the results though; they got rid of the proposed rail line from Union Station west to Yukon, and the one west to the airport (I think this rail link is getting cut with the new IH40). They also seem to focus on BRT a lot which I have mixed feelings about. They do plan for commuter rail between Norman/ downtown/Edmond, which seems logical. The infrastructure is already in place and it is a straight shot through the city. It is heavily used by BNSF though, so some amount of upgrades would be needed.

HOT ROD
01-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the notice Hot Rod. I attended a couple of the planning sessions and am looking forward to seeing what they came up with. I will definitely make it to the McAlpine Center on Jan. 23.

No problem.

Hey ODG, could you give us a report-out? Especially valuable for us expats!

Excellent that you will attend downtown!

metro
01-17-2006, 08:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Likewise, see you there

HOT ROD
01-20-2006, 03:45 PM
:busterbun