View Full Version : More needed along river

Jack
01-16-2006, 12:30 AM
The river isn't going to attract people until we have some facilities in place! We simply need more parks. We need fishing docks. More boat ramps. More fish. How about a marina where you can rent boats? How about a place to store your boats?

metro
01-16-2006, 07:57 AM
How do you propose paying for these things??? Progress doesn't come overnight. In fact we don't want to build the Oklahoma river up overnight and settle for the first thing that comes along. You need to slow down a bit and see how things really work in city government whether it be our city or any city. If you want something overnight or now, perhaps you could provide the funding? That's the problem with our society, we live in an instant gratification state where we have to have everything now now now.

Midtowner
01-16-2006, 08:05 AM
The parks and facilities are actually coming along pretty nicely. The future is very bright.

Jack
01-16-2006, 10:34 AM
How do you propose paying for these things??? Progress doesn't come overnight. In fact we don't want to build the Oklahoma river up overnight and settle for the first thing that comes along. You need to slow down a bit and see how things really work in city government whether it be our city or any city. If you want something overnight or now, perhaps you could provide the funding? That's the problem with our society, we live in an instant gratification state where we have to have everything now now now.

That's right. MAPS started over 14 years ago, and we still don't have one new venue on the Oklahoma River, other than for the Native American Cultural Center.

The Old Downtown Guy
01-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all of your great ideas Jack. We'll get started on them right away. Check back in about six months and let us know how we're doing.

Jack
01-16-2006, 12:46 PM
6 months from now I expect to see the same thing I see now: trash, open prairie, and hoodlums.

The Old Downtown Guy
01-16-2006, 05:33 PM
6 months from now I expect to see the same thing I see now: trash, open prairie, and hoodlums.

You might try looking in a different direction.

Also, you might check out the award winning Oklahoma River Master Plan recently developed by Studio Architecture. It is an excellent piece of work that builds on the bare bones of general uses for the river outlined by The City and actually incorporates some of the uses you mentioned Jack.

Frankly, I don't know if you are blind, impatient, just like stirring things up or what, but thanks for putting up all of the stimulating topics.

Patrick
01-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Have any pics of the Master Plan? What all does it include? Whose going to pay for it all?

Jack
01-16-2006, 10:10 PM
You might try looking in a different direction.

Also, you might check out the award winning Oklahoma River Master Plan recently developed by Studio Architecture. It is an excellent piece of work that builds on the bare bones of general uses for the river outlined by The City and actually incorporates some of the uses you mentioned Jack.

Frankly, I don't know if you are blind, impatient, just like stirring things up or what, but thanks for putting up all of the stimulating topics.

I have yet to see the Master Plan.

metro
01-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Have you looked for the Master Plan? I've seen it numerous times. You could contact Studio Architecture if you would like to see it but that would require some effort.

In fact, I don't want to reveal anything but I'm currently working on a beautification project along the river and that's all I have to say at this time. You'll hear about it in the press in the next few months. There is also another group working on a beautification project that will be implemented this year as well.

Jack, just because Maps was planned almost 14 years ago doesn't mean it has been implemented and just waiting for 14 years. Most of the MAPS projects have only been finished in the last 3 years or less. Rome wasn't built in a day. If you remember right, the Oklahoma River was only opened a little over a year ago and construction is still ongoing. Most businesses don't want to locate there yet when a major Interstate that runs by it is being relocated. The Native American Center has broke ground as well as the Dell campus. Several other projects are in the planning stages. Planning, funding and implementing can take years its as simple as that. If your that impatient, perhaps you can fund a quicker project

keving
01-19-2006, 04:58 PM
I did see a master plan of the Oklahoma River with outdoor malls, condos, apartments, etc all along the river. However, I cannot find that link anymore.

Karried
01-19-2006, 05:10 PM
http://www.aiacoc.org/Advisor%20January%2006.pdf

Page 13 is the closest I can find to a picture - you'll have to play with it a bit to Zoom and it 's not the greatest rendering but it might help.

keving
01-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I saw some elevation drawings/sketches. I'll dig for that link tonight.

Luke
01-19-2006, 05:37 PM
I saved those pictures. I threw together a page with them...

http://homepage.mac.com/swooshou/PhotoAlbum4.html

Karried
01-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Luke! Congratulations on your engagement!! Beautiful pictures!

Luke
01-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Oh thanks! :)

Nuclear_2525
01-19-2006, 10:41 PM
metro, is any of this being done right now or being dare I ask, proposed? I really like the area where the mixed use area is where the water cuts back into the land...would make a very nice area.

Nuclear_2525
01-19-2006, 10:43 PM
I hate this new software!

metro
01-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Nuclear, yes many things are in the "planning" stages. I know every city including ours sees some projects fall through. Even if some do the chances are some will also come through. The Chesapeake boathouse for one was officially opened and dedicated this past week. Watch for updates these next few weeks and months for more announcements of groundbreakings, etc.