View Full Version : Racist parents

Jack
01-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Had a situation come up awhile back. My nephew went in Wal-Mart and accidently ran into a black kid in the toy section. The kid's mom raced over, and told her kid to get away, that he was too close to the "white" boy. She reminded the boy that he wasn't to associate with white people. What are your thoughts about this?

mranderson
01-16-2006, 05:34 AM
This is just one of a large number of cases that prove the liberals should leave things alone. That is her right if she so chooses.

bandnerd
01-16-2006, 07:34 AM
My charter school was having a prospective parent/student night last week. One of our African-American PP's pointed out that the sampling of staff he saw was largely white and there was no diversity. We all immediately pointed to our Native American teacher, then the Indian teacher, and the Japanese teacher. But he wanted a black teacher. Our principal basically said "So?" This person's children will receive no different treatment from the rest of the kiddos. A LARGE percentage of our student body is black...is that not enough? The principal went on to explain that in 3 years, only ONE black teacher interviewed and she took a higher-paying job somewhere else, and the principal couldn't blame her for that.

I ran into the whole "you're white so you must be racist" last year where I taught. That school will remain a secret. Needless to say it was a blessing in disguise to not be there anymore.

I just don't understand why some people just can't let it go. Well, I do, but there will never be any progress with that kind of attitude!

Midtowner
01-16-2006, 08:13 AM
I'll be the one to ask what needs to be asked: Is it only okay for black parents to promote cultural stereotypes and racial bias/hatred? If white parents had said the same types of things, would we not all think a lot less of them?

Racism is a word I'd say should be left out of any discussion of this as it carries a lot of meaning that we need not discuss here. Lots of things about 'white privilege' and the notion that a group that does not hold 'the power' cannot be racist (two concepts that have been/are being extensively discussed in the academic world) -- both are fine tangents that can be discussed elsewhere.

Randy
01-16-2006, 08:16 AM
This is just one of a large number of cases that prove the liberals should leave things alone. That is her right if she so chooses.
Are you serious? It's her right if she chooses to turn her kids in to racists? That is so wrong.

Midtowner
01-16-2006, 08:33 AM
It is her right, but in so doing, she is setting her kids on a path to failure. If you can't work with people be they white, black, or anything else, you'll find your opportunities in life to be significantly diminished.

Jack
01-16-2006, 10:55 AM
My point in this thread was to show that blacks are just as racist, if not moreso than whites. Often times it's the whites that get all the blame. Blacks are training their children early to hate whites.

ibda12u
01-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Every race can develop stereotype's about different people.
A good pastor friend of mine said "Everyone judges situations by our past experiences." Rev. Danny Brown

Not only that but people develop comfort zones, and comfort levels based on a lot of the same things. If you're more comfortable wearing jeans and a t-shirt, than a full suit, then given the free choice of what to wear everyday what would you wear?

That doesn't say it's wrong to never dress up, or for the person who prefers the powersuit, and tie, it's okay to put on jeans and a t-shirt.

Often times the unknown makes people move closer to their comfort zones. If you grow up in an all Caucasion home, initially you'd probably be most comfortable with someone you associate white, at least until you're able to find things to associate as well in others. This unknown could be fear, not so much of danger, but just that initial unsettling uncomfortableness in all of us. Like the first time you touch a bird, or your first day of school, or a new job.

Parents are highly influenced by the past, and knowingly or unknowingly constantly passing that influence to their children. I believe parents should definatly be more cautious at what we are passing to our children. I don't want my daughter to judge people passed on my parents hurts, but on her own experiences.

Intrepid
01-17-2006, 04:56 PM
My point in this thread was to show that blacks are just as racist, if not moreso than whites. Often times it's the whites that get all the blame. Blacks are training their children early to hate whites.

That's a pretty bold, blanket statement you are making there Jack. I work with MANY african-americans and I know many that do not teach their children any such thing.

One group of people should not be classified as racists simply due to one example.

GrandMaMa
02-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Had a situation come up awhile back. My nephew went in Wal-Mart and accidently ran into a black kid in the toy section. The kid's mom raced over, and told her kid to get away, that he was too close to the "white" boy. She reminded the boy that he wasn't to associate with white people. What are your thoughts about this?

In that particular situation, mind your own business. All you have control over are your thoughts and actions and what you pass on to others, hoping that it soaks in sometimes. You just have to continue to treat others with respect, whatever color they are...no one knows what has happend to them in their lifetime that has led to their thinking.

Midtowner
02-15-2006, 10:22 AM
In that particular situation, mind your own business. All you have control over are your thoughts and actions and what you pass on to others, hoping that it soaks in sometimes. You just have to continue to treat others with respect, whatever color they are...no one knows what has happend to them in their lifetime that has led to their thinking.

I'll remember that the next time there's a Klan rally... treat them with respect.

--Got it.

I don't think anyone was advocating making a scene and telling this mother how stupid she was. What's going on here is that we're all agreeing (or maybe not all) that this mother was clearly in the wrong here in the way she's raising her kids.

A child who grows up being told that they are oppressed and cannot amount to anything is going to find that to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

GrandMaMa
02-15-2006, 12:42 PM
I'll remember that the next time there's a Klan rally... treat them with respect.

--Got it.

I don't think anyone was advocating making a scene and telling this mother how stupid she was. What's going on here is that we're all agreeing (or maybe not all) that this mother was clearly in the wrong here in the way she's raising her kids.

A child who grows up being told that they are oppressed and cannot amount to anything is going to find that to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

#1 I mistakenly thought that you really wanted someone else's opinion, rather than a rubber stamp of your own. It would have been rendundant to say that the mother was clearly in error and the poor child was obviously on an uphill climb in life with those the environment in which he was being raised.

#2. I found it interesting that when referring to the next Klan rally, (actually, I can't remember when the last one was, but I'm certain that you can tell me) that you referred to the people that I had suggested to treat with respect as "THEM"...could there be a little racism reeking from you that might have prompted the mother to react the way that she did? I don't mean to be inflaming, but there is always room to look a little deeper inside all of us. I welcome your constructive reply.

Midtowner
02-15-2006, 01:00 PM
#1 I mistakenly thought that you really wanted someone else's opinion, rather than a rubber stamp of your own. It would have been rendundant to say that the mother was clearly in error and the poor child was obviously on an uphill climb in life with those the environment in which he was being raised.

No, rubber stamp not required. That I disagree and think your position here is enough. You see.. I disagreed with you in the beginning, you posted something, and I didn't change my mind. In fact I told you so and still am :)

#2. I found it interesting that when referring to the next Klan rally, (actually, I can't remember when the last one was, but I'm certain that you can tell me)

Oh.. I get it.. I'm a racist? Cute. Actually, no. I was thinking about the single most reprehensible group of people that came to mind. It was sort of a free word association exercise.

that you referred to the people that I had suggested to treat with respect as "THEM"...could there be a little racism reeking from you that might have prompted the mother to react the way that she did?

"Them".. What ever could that nasty little indefinite pronoun mean. Usually, when you are looking at such a thing, you infer its meaning from the context of the preceding text. In this case, I was speaking about Klansmen. When I think about Klansmen, I think about a bunch of ignorant redneck hillbilly dumbasses. You apparently think of white people... who in this case is the one harboring racist thoughts? Not implying everything, but one cannot help to mention this upon examination of your reply.

I don't mean to be inflaming, but there is always room to look a little deeper inside all of us. I welcome your constructive reply.

Ah.. the power of the "R" word. Always an interesting and educational subject.

GrandMaMa
02-15-2006, 01:29 PM

I just read your original post and realized that you didn't ask for a suggestion on how you should have responded, you asked what are our thoughts on the situation. Gee, that was a bad, bad thing that the mother said to her little boy. Sorry for all of the other dialogue.

bandnerd
02-15-2006, 01:44 PM
So basically, this is what it boils down to: We aren't supposed to try and educate anyone about racism and/or why it is wrong. Great, thanks. I'll remember that while I teach in my highly diverse school.

Karried
02-15-2006, 03:58 PM
I think it might be unwise to inform the mother of that child that she was racist in this situation ... that would not be a scene I would want to be a part ..

I have images of Jerry Springer :beaten_fi

I do think it's important in many instances.. off the subject, I've almost been beat up a few times when I've intervened in what I perceived as child abuse situations ( like a mom slapping her toddler in the face) ... but it was worth it and I'd do it again.

GrandMaMa
02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
So basically, this is what it boils down to: We aren't supposed to try and educate anyone about racism and/or why it is wrong. Great, thanks. I'll remember that while I teach in my highly diverse school.

I was simply making fun of myself for going off the deep end with diologue that wasn't requested. Of course I believe that education is the way and we should all do our part, but mostly by example. What you think, say and do is reflected by your children and your peers and hopefully, one day, the cycle will be broken.

bandnerd
02-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I started making my post before you had made that reply lol. I got involved with something else for a few minutes before I posted and missed yours :P.

I still get that feeling, though...not necessarily from you, but from people in general. I'm so used to being around different cultures, but there are times I feel like I must be back in 1955 the way people act!

GrandMaMa
02-15-2006, 05:36 PM
I think it might be unwise to inform the mother of that child that she was racist in this situation ... that would not be a scene I would want to be a part ..

I have images of Jerry Springer :beaten_fi

I do think it's important in many instances.. off the subject, I've almost been beat up a few times when I've intervened in what I perceived as child abuse situations ( like a mom slapping her toddler in the face) ... but it was worth it and I'd do it again.

I thought that I was the only one that did that without one hint of what I would do if someone actually jumped on me. I remember one instance where a mother was so intent on eating a peach on her way to the car that she let her toddler (still in diapers, course, that's another topic I could get on and never quit) get away from her and out into oncoming traffic in the parking lot. She ran after the baby, picked him up by one wrist and spanked his little bottom and legs with the other hand (bless her little heart, she had to drop the peach to perform her motherly duties). I simpley couldn't stand there and let that happen. When we finished with our exchange of choice dialogue (how was that for cleaning it up?) she peeled out of the parking lot and I stood there feeling as if I had made the problem worse. I just know that she took it out on the innocent little baby when she got out of sight. The very idea, someone attempting to tell her how to raise her little child, bless her little peach pickin heart. At that time, I just wish I had in my posession some kind of a badge, any kind, to make her shut up, sit back and listen.

GrandMaMa
02-15-2006, 08:24 PM
In his book, THE NEGRO AND WORLD CRISIS, Charles Lee says that the Negro
people migrated into Egypt and Ethiopia, of which both countries had
White civilizations at an early date. But having had contact with White
civilizations over the centuries did not inspire the Negroes to build a
civilization of their own. Despite all the contacts and exchanges of
knowledge, the Negroes remained satisfied with his savage state of
ruthlessness, uninfluenced and unchanged throughout centuries of contact
with White civilizations.

Furthermore the author continues, Thomas Dixon wrote that Black Africans
have held one fourth of the globe for thousands of years, yet they have
never taken one step towards progress. Where are the monuments in Africa
that attest to Negroes? capability of building a civilization? Where are
the churches, the schools, the hospitals that they have built? Where is
his written language?

Dr. Wesley George wrote: ?Throughout all recorded time in history, the
Negroes never invented the wheel, the plough or a system of writing.
They have never produced a great religion or philosopher. They have
remained savages throughout the ages during which the White race were the
builders of the civilization in which the Negro lives. Not only have
Negroes proven themselves incapable of building his own civilization, but
they have also proven themselves incapable of even borrowing one from the
White race...

Wait, before this incites a riot, this was part of a thesis written by a black man.

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=85427

Check it out, I would/could not make this up.

Midtowner
02-15-2006, 08:34 PM
GM -- you're not trying to make a eugenics argument I hope.

Africa's problems are rooted in cultural development through tribalism versus other regions election of the feudal system/empire system very early on. The larger the government -- the quicker the progress. I think it has more to do with topography and climate than race.

GrandMaMa
02-15-2006, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't consider making any kind of argument, just copying and pasting sir.

Midtowner
02-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Go ahead, give it a try.

If you don't agree with the material, or you can't defend it, why are you posting it?