View Full Version : Advice, PLEASE!

sweetdaisy
01-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Alright. Some please help me here.

How on EARTH does a single person meet other singles in the godforsaken wasteland of a state we live in? This is RIDICULOUS.

I've never experienced anything like this before...how do you meet singles around here?

I've been going to bars for only a couple weeks, but I'm SICK OF IT!

Is there anything around here besides work, school, & church?

No wonder everyone around here gets married as soon as they graduate from middle school...this is really frustrating and sad.

Does anyone from Oklahoma have suggestions?????

Oki_Man5
01-15-2006, 05:14 AM
"I got married in a fever; hotter than a pepper patch."

Oki_Man5
01-15-2006, 05:49 AM
LOL :omg: I was going to put an emoticon, and I hit the wrong button. :backtotop

Well! I did get married right after high school and Air Force Basic training (Well! Within six months of finishing basic training, but graduating high school was a couple years past.) But who is counting. It has been so long ago, I really do not remember when I got married.

I cannot imagine it being as bad as you say, but too, I cannot imagine looking in the bars either unless

For sure Daisy, seeing your pic, you look good, so the "curb appeal" is there LOL which would give the guys an opening unless you are so drop-dead gorgeous in real that the guys think you are unapproachable. Are you?

Yeah, could it just be you? :fighting3 :rude:

Hey, after reading this and thinking about it, by the way, I apologize for my crude remark about desperation, and now I have done it bringing that back up. :whiteflag

Hey, everyone else prob knows but I am wondering what part of the state you are in and what type work you do?????

I know it is not you, but I know this lady (not intimaely and no, I am not gonna hook u up with a lady. LOL) who brings to mind what you wrote; I have never thought about what she might do after hours for company, but she has "company" on an irregular basis ---LOL I am not saying she goes out to a bar and brings home a slobberin' drunk every night LOL---where might she find the guy, I have no idea.

Yeah, I just got to rambling---how could a guy who has been married at least 2/3 of his life without ever taking the time away from his building projects to even think of how he would go about finding companionship should the need arise. It is the wife who should be thinking about that since women outlive men u know.

I best shush, huh? Have a great day; it is windy here, so there is no putting any roofing on today; I will finish up the second sheet I put on Friday, and get another sheet ready for the next day it is not windy---whew! this roof is drawing to a close, and I will be so glad when it comes to that close,

Pete

Curt
01-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Ok, and I know you really dont care to listen to what I have to say Daisy, but let me ask you this, was it any better in Ann Arbor? I personally dont think Oklahoma is a godforsaken wasteland. I have met alot nicer women in Oklahoma than I have met in Michigan. I really dont know what to tell you. Do you go to the bar alone? or with freinds? and for someone who told me you would not invite a guy who you know over for dinner, why then would you even want to meet a guy at a bar?

In_Tulsa
01-15-2006, 07:52 AM
I can answer your question but first I need to know are you fat and ugly or just fat or just ugly or none of the above? This will help me answer your question.

sweetdaisy
01-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I can answer your question but first I need to know are you fat and ugly or just fat or just ugly or none of the above? This will help me answer your question.

OMG! What on earth kind of a statement is that? I'm neither fat nor ugly, but what difference does that make?

Midtowner
01-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Enroll in some college classes. No better way of meeting members of the opposite sex exists.

kellekokid
01-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Ok, and I know you really dont care to listen to what I have to say Daisy, but let me ask you this, was it any better in Ann Arbor? I personally dont think Oklahoma is a godforsaken wasteland. I have met alot nicer women in Oklahoma than I have met in Michigan. I really dont know what to tell you. Do you go to the bar alone? or with freinds? and for someone who told me you would not invite a guy who you know over for dinner, why then would you even want to meet a guy at a bar?

ummm cause a bar is a public place? and a guy that she might meet there wouldn't know where she lived in case he turned out to be a nutcase. Cause then the nutcase would know where she lived. The thought of better safe than sorry comes to mind.

sweetdaisy
01-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Enroll in some college classes. No better way of meeting members of the opposite sex exists.

I've actually thought about that. I'm just REALLY tired of school, though (and the student loans!!!) But it's a great suggestion! :)

Karried
01-15-2006, 09:20 AM
SweetDaisy, I'm not sure how many eligible guys do this particular activity, but if they do, they would probably be someone you would want to meet. Have you thought about volunteering somewhere that might utilize a lot of volunteers? Something like Meals on Wheels or look here http://www.volunteermatch.org/bymsa/m5880/c/opp1.html or

http://www.1-800-volunteer.org/1800Vol/vcindex.do?vcId=8319

There are so many openings for volunteers - wouldn't it be nice if you met someone who either volunteered or worked at one of these establishments - they would probably be really nice guys!

Curt
01-15-2006, 09:52 AM
ummm cause a bar is a public place? and a guy that she might meet there wouldn't know where she lived in case he turned out to be a nutcase. Cause then the nutcase would know where she lived. The thought of better safe than sorry comes to mind.
So is a courthouse a public place, but I would not recommend going there either to meet anyone. You never heard of a guy following a girl home from the bar? Guys at the bar usually have one thing in mind, one nighter's.

kellekokid
01-15-2006, 10:35 AM
here's a thought
maybe someone from out of state would like to meet new friends and not just a one night stand, thus the reason for the request for advice on where to meet singles.

Curt
01-15-2006, 10:40 AM
I dont do one night stands Kellekokid, so I really hope this is not a dig at me.

sweetdaisy
01-15-2006, 11:09 AM
It's not a dig at you, mariner. It's in reference to me, who used to live out of state, and who, incidentally, ranted about how hard it is to meet SINGLES (not one night stand).

Curt
01-15-2006, 11:18 AM
It's not a dig at you, mariner. It's in reference to me, who used to live out of state, and who, incidentally, ranted in the first place.

And since you don't LIVE HERE, I'm not sure how you're qualified to say anything about this subject.
Your right Daisy, you win. I guess dating has a different set of guidelines for each state, what works in Ohio wont work in Texas and so on. It may be your attitude, cuz if you come across to the guys you try to meet like you do me you will be single a long time.

sweetdaisy
01-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Wow, Mariner. You're quite a guy. Thanks for your great advice.

Curt
01-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Wow, Mariner. You're quite a guy. Thanks for your great advice.
Sure, anytime. Now go get 'em tiger.

Oki_Man5
01-15-2006, 02:07 PM
:busterbun Wow! Pete ducks out the door and starts running for his life.

Curt
01-15-2006, 02:27 PM
LOL..Pete. No need to run. I grew up with all sisters so I had to learn how to fight back thats all and since they never backed down I usually dont either.

Jay
01-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Mariner, Why do I get the feeling you have one of those downer personalities? It seems like you always have the need to bring people down to your level of despair.

Karried
01-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Hey now, Mariner is not a downer - he's actually a very nice guy ... in fact I think if him and SweetDaisy actually ever met, they might just hit it off nicely... it's so easy to write things from the safety of our computers... now everyone have a <<<< group hug >>>> and let's keep our friends that we have here, life's too short!

Oki_Man5
01-15-2006, 06:35 PM
May old married guys get in on that hug? Wife says she does not mind---actually she hopes it is ok cause she says she has hugged me all she ever intends to.

osupa05
01-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Miss SwtDsy! You know that the 'corner' had some hunky single guys!!! Oh, wait.. did I say hunky?!? I wonder how many beers that would've taken! Did you make it to LC today?

Intrepid
01-15-2006, 07:52 PM
This is WAY off topic, I know, but I just wanted to say that I love that quote you have osupa!!!

osupa05
01-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Haha! Thanks! :~)

Curt
01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Mariner, Why do I get the feeling you have one of those downer personalities? It seems like you always have the need to bring people down to your level of despair.
Jay...you dont even know me to say such a thing my friend. If you ever met me you would see I am really a very happy person thesedays, although I was not a year ago I'll admit because I had blinders on and thought I needed someone in my life to make me happy and that is just not true at all, I have been happier since I stopped chasing after happiness. There is no despair in my life thesedays. I personally think YOU are the unhappy one.

Daisy...I have nothing at all against you, but you do get very defensive at the guys on this board and I was saying if you get that way to all the guys you meet you are going to stay single, and that reminds me way to much of my sisters, that is when I get defensive as well. Ok, maybe I had no buisness comming into this thread because you asked for Oklahomans ideas, all I asked you was a couple questions and you started in on me, so did Kellekokid, but I expect you two to come to each others rescue.

Karrie...Thank you very much for the kind words, you are truly a class act in my book and a real sweetheart at that. I could definately sit down with Daisy would gladly buy the woman a drink, but I really dont think she would do that. I argue with her as I argue with my own friends, I speak my mind and I'd rather be disliked for that than not speaking my mind and letting people walk all over me. I'll do the group hug now and move on ((((group)))) :backtotop

sweetdaisy
01-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Actually, mariner, I rarely "get defensive" toward the guys on this board. The only thing I can think of would be our disagreement over a guy coming to my home on the first date. But if you must make blanket statements, then by all means, go ahead.

In fact, I think it was me who decided to change my post earlier and not be rude...unlike you who attacked my attitude. I even chose to hold back retort on that as well. In addition, I have continued to read and not respond to your comments thinking that at some point you would be a big enough man to do the same. However, you continue to prattle on for whatever reason you think is necessary.

And to comment about the "couple of questions" you asked, you were merely being ugly in reference to a discussion that was being had a few days ago which had absolutely nothing to do with this conversation to begin with. Inviting a man to my house on a first date in NO WAY equates to meeting singles in a bar.

And finally, I don't know why you have made the following comments: "I know you really dont care to listen to what I have to say Daisy" and "I could definately sit down with Daisy would gladly buy the woman a drink, but I really dont think she would do that", considering you don't know me. In fact, if I recall, I've come to your defense numerous times in the past and have warned you about potential inflammatory posts you've made. You're so focused on a disagreement we had last week that you can't see the full picture.

If you want to continue making generalizations then do it, however leave my name out of it.

sweetdaisy
01-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey now, Mariner is not a downer - he's actually a very nice guy ...

Karried, most of the nice guys I know wouldn't say the things he did in this thread.

kellekokid
01-15-2006, 11:51 PM
I dont do one night stands Kellekokid, so I really hope this is not a dig at me.

Of course it wasn't a dig at you! I was just refering to your comment about guys at bars...

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
To be honest, I don't have any real advice, because I know I got lucky with who I'm with now (Even though I did meet her at a church, we haven't gone to that one in a long time). Maybe you already know someone who you'd like to go out with, but don't quite realise it yet. I didn't know I wanted to be with who I'm with until we hung out one on one. Then it just happened. We've been going out for about a month and a half now and hopefully it will last a while like I think it will. I guess you just have to keep you eyes open and you never know, someone will pop up.

And on another note,

"After you have gotten another shrubbery, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with.....A HERRING!!!!" :beaten_fi

Ni!

osupa05
01-17-2006, 03:09 PM
And on another note,

"After you have gotten another shrubbery, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with.....A HERRING!!!!" :beaten_fi

Ni!

"It's only a flesh wound!"... Man, I need to watch that movie again, soon! Good times!

Intrepid
01-17-2006, 04:08 PM
"It's only a flesh wound!"... Man, I need to watch that movie again, soon! Good times!

I just recently got that movie on DVD. Haven't watched it yet. maybe we should have a watch party.

:)
:tiphat:

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-17-2006, 04:34 PM
My girlfriend bought me the super collectors edition with the film cell and script a couple of weeks ago. The greatest movie ever made period.

I couldn't help but to think that as I was typing that response watching that emotiocon thingy.....

sweetdaisy
01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Now you all MUST say what movie it is! Can't be quoting it in my bitchy rant thread and not say what what you're talking about!

Intrepid
01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Now you all MUST say what movie it is! Can't be quoting it in my bitchy rant thread and not say what what you're talking about!

"Month Python and the Holy Grail"

sweetdaisy
01-17-2006, 05:26 PM
well, there we have it. Thanks so much, Intrepid.

I officially know why it's not familiar to me: I haven't seen it! ACK! :doh:

Intrepid
01-17-2006, 05:28 PM

:omg: You poor thing!

We MUST have a watch party!!!!

:spin:

Leon
01-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Alright. Some please help me here.
How on EARTH does a single person meet other singles in the godforsaken wasteland of a state we live in? This is RIDICULOUS.
I've never experienced anything like this before...how do you meet singles around here?
I've been going to bars for only a couple weeks, but I'm SICK OF IT!
Is there anything around here besides work, school, & church?
No wonder everyone around here gets married as soon as they graduate from middle school...this is really frustrating and sad.
Does anyone from Oklahoma have suggestions?????

Mercy, can I sympathize!
But for you, I've seen your photo so I'm certain attention is coming your way and you're just failing to recognize it. Remember that a new guy's initial approach is going to be VERY low-key if your not in a bar alone. We're a lot more cautious these days and prefer to test the waters very subtly.

If he initiates ANY conversation, that's a hit.
If he wants to talk for more than 15 seconds, that's a hit.
If he gets behind you at a checkout counter with a shorter line elsewhere, that's a hit.
If he sends an unexpected PM or email, that's a hit.
If he doesn't know you and says hi in passing, that's a hit; find a way to cross paths again within a few minutes with a smile.

But we fellas don't wait very long for some positive feeback before moving on. Remember, very few of us guys are persistant at all....'til we see the right smile, then look out. ;)

sweetdaisy
01-18-2006, 07:29 AM
yeah, I tried making "goo goo" eyes with a guy at the grocery store not long ago. We exchanged glances and smiles...I "followed" him around a bit. Then, I noticed the ring...UGH! ACK! (Cough, cough!) He must've just been amused by my produce selection process.

osupa05
01-18-2006, 07:32 AM
Darn ring.. seems to have "claimed" a lot of the good ones! But, he's out there... at least that's what I keep telling myself... hopless romantic, I guess... with emphasis on the hopeless part.. haha!!!

Leon
01-18-2006, 07:34 AM
yeah, I tried making "goo goo" eyes with a guy at the grocery store not long ago. We exchanged glances and smiles...I "followed" him around a bit. Then, I noticed the ring...UGH! ACK! (Cough, cough!) He must've just been amused by my produce selection process.

Produce selection process??? It wasn't erotic was it? :) Don't answer that, just leave it to my imagination. LOL

gbyte
01-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Of most of the people I know who are married now usually they met their significant other in college, church, work, or they were a friend of a friend (basically met each other at a mutual friend's get together).

I often wonder where I go to find the "good" single girls myself but so far I haven't had any luck but I haven't necessarily tried some places suggested to me such as book stores or coffee shops.

Myself I just decided until I figure out where I'm going to end up working for awhile (still commuting half a week to Stillwater from OKC) I'm not really going to bother with it as much for the time being.

But anyways, saw these emoticons and had to add them!

"Be vewwy vewwy quiet...I'm huntin' wabbits!"

:elmer3: :k-bunny:

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-18-2006, 11:45 AM

Oh my.... Someone's got to cure you of this disease known as "Never seen The Grail"....ASAP and right away at that!!!

Ni!