View Full Version : Anyone own a fish?

Patrick
01-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Just curious. We just bought a betta.

dirtrider73068
01-10-2006, 01:41 PM
I had some guppies at one point when I was a kid.

Midtowner
01-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Several guy in my fraternity kept betas, and we'd have beta fight night. Pretty fun events!

Jack
02-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Not much different from cock fighting.

bandnerd
02-19-2006, 09:19 AM
I used to have a beta--Skippy the Wonderfish was his name.

They are surprisingly smart fish. They have hard little "noses" and will tap on the bowl. I actually taught mine to associate the tapping with food--every time I would feed him I would tap very gently on the bowl once or twice--and eventually he made the connection. If I forgot to feed him, I would hear this insane tapping coming from the bowl :) Sometimes he would just tap at me because I had been in my bedroom too long haha.

Another friend of mine did this, that's why I tried it. I also learned if I put my hands up and made "gills" and a fishy face, he would puff up because he thought I was a fish!

Enjoy your new pet!

Faith
02-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Not yet! We just got our 55 tank gallon ready for fresh water fish this weekend. We plan on buying the fish this week. I will let you know what we get.

Patrick
02-22-2006, 03:42 PM
With betas you have to be careful what other fish you put with one. Betas usually like to be by themselves.

By the way, bandnerd, that explains why our beta beats his head into the rocks from time to time. I thought he was just being insane.

Faith
02-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Okay we bought some fish last night for our tank. We went to WALMART and had a very nice experience. Anyways we decided to do a fresh water tank versus salt water. We got some oscars, south american and south african sickles, shark fish?, algae eaters, and then another kind that starts with a G but I can't remember. They are all agressive fish and are suppose to grow to a nice size.

Faith
03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Okay we bought some fish last night for our tank. We went to WALMART and had a very nice experience. Anyways we decided to do a fresh water tank versus salt water. We got some oscars, south american and south african sickles, shark fish?, algae eaters, and then another kind that starts with a G but I can't remember. They are all agressive fish and are suppose to grow to a nice size.

Our fish we purchased were all aggressive natured fish that weren't suppose to eat each other. Yesterday our Oscars killed one of the "g" named fish. I guess the guy at the Walmart fish section didn't know what fish could live with each other.

Jack
03-02-2006, 02:06 PM
When you're only paying a guy $6.25 an hour, you're not getting expertise. If you want expertise, you need to go to Pet's Mart, or Petco.

Faith
03-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes thank makes since Mr. Right. Thanks for the advice!

Patrick
03-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish, okcgoddess.

new2ok
03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
my husband and I had 2 oscars and a algae eater in a 55 gallon tank they got bigger then some of the pearch fish i have cought from lakes. We feed ours gold fish every friday. we had ours for 3 yrs till my sons decided to feed them a bag of suckers.

Keith
03-02-2006, 07:26 PM
With betas you have to be careful what other fish you put with one. Betas usually like to be by themselves.

By the way, bandnerd, that explains why our beta beats his head into the rocks from time to time. I thought he was just being insane.
I never had a fish, however, I was actually going to buy Patrick a school of grown Piranha's for his wedding gift, so that his wife would be entertained each time Patrick stuck his hand in the aquarium to feed them:LolLolLol ......fish food. For some unknown reason, my wife said that the gift wasn't appropriate.

http://www.hku.hk/ecology/porcupine/por30gif/piranha.jpe

KMac
05-29-2006, 08:03 PM
I've had fish for at least 30 years. It can be a relaxing hobby. I've had fresh & saltwater both , believe me don't try saltwater until you have mastered freshwater! I now have a 92 gallon saltwater tank. Sorry Jack but if you want good fish advice go to places like Aquarium Concepts or The Reef Shop. Petsmart pays much the same as Walmart!

Patrick
05-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Awwww. 92 gallon tank! Exactly what I'd love to have sitting in my living room.

I was lucky enough to buy a 5 gallon tank for my betta last night! He seems to be a tad bit scared so far. Hope he gets used to it. I have $50 wrapped up in it. I'd hate to have to transfer him back to the jar!

OklaCity_75
05-29-2006, 10:27 PM
I also learned if I put my hands up and made "gills" and a fishy face, he would puff up because he thought I was a fish!

Enjoy your new pet!

Can we get a photo or video of that ?........LOL

OklaCity_75
05-29-2006, 10:40 PM
I've had fish for at least 30 years. It can be a relaxing hobby. I've had fresh & saltwater both , believe me don't try saltwater until you have mastered freshwater! I now have a 92 gallon saltwater tank. Sorry Jack but if you want good fish advice go to places like Aquarium Concepts or The Reef Shop. Petsmart pays much the same as Walmart!

I agree my brother-in-law has a saltwater tank. He deals strictly with Reef Shop and Aquarium Concepts. Both places know their fish and know all the issues you might run into with your aqaurium. Not mention they sell everything you could possibly want and then some.

The problem with Wal-Mart is the guy working the aqaurium area today was working in toys yesterday. Even worse he may have been the first person they could find to help in that area. That is one of the reasons I stay out of Wal-Mart but, will save that topic for another time.

Petsmart and Petco know a little more but, they do not know every thing,

The two shops listed above have a store full of fish and the selection is 10 times that of any retail chain.

http://www.reefshop.com/html/about_us.html

Reef Shop specializes in saltwater fish.

http://aquariumconcepts.org/about_us.html

Aqaurium Concepts does both salt and freshwater.

Faith
05-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Our oscars have gotten so big in 4 months. One of the oscars is super agressive. We are getting a new tank this weekend to seperate them from the other fish. He actually ate one of our shark fish about a month ago. My husband feeds them all the time.. probably too much... so I don't know why this one fish wants to fight all the other ones all the time. Its sad b/c all the fish in the tank know to stay away from him when it is time to eat.

TomGirl
05-31-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't own fish, but I've had fish, yummy! and very healthy!