View Full Version : Supertalk 930 WKY Off The Air For Good: Liberals Cheer Conservatives Disappointed

Jay
01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
From http://www.wkygorilla.com/dailyrant.php

The circle is complete - it's been a wild ride, hasn't it?

http://www.wkygorilla.com/userimages/kinb.jpgWow. WKY makes the massive move to a completely different format - a Spanish format.

It's a business decision that was made and I certainly understand. The Hispanic population is growing and our sister station was making a ton of money in advertising. I completely understand.

It kinda stinks, but I hold no grudge nor ill-will.

Our Spanish station is doing very, very well, and the incredible range of the WKY signal will help out immensely.

La Indomable means, "The Unconquerable." They have made significant strides in the market and are only going to grow big-time in the next few months.

I have greatly enjoyed being a part of the WKY family and though I won't be on the air, until I find another "gig," I'm still part of the family.

Everyone has been kind and wonderful throughout. I am eternally grateful to Mark Shannon, Dax Davis, Chris Baker, and Larry Bastida for having faith in me for as long as they did.

windowphobe
01-09-2006, 04:57 PM
What's odd is that it's not actually a simulcast; when I dialed up both WKY and KINB (105.3), they were playing the same song, but a few seconds apart.

magicchord
01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Last I heard WKY was being operated by Clear Channel. 'Zat still the case?

mranderson
01-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Last I heard WKY was being operated by Clear Channel. 'Zat still the case?

No. I think it was Citedel that bought them from Gaylord.

Intrepid
01-09-2006, 05:50 PM
No. I think it was Citedel that bought them from Gaylord.

Yeah, it's owned by Citadel.

Now I know what Jim Traber was talking about this afternoon on WWLS, The Sports Animal, when he said that his mornings would be free again. (he had a morning semi-political talk show on WKY)

According to his comments, he was only told last night (Sunday) that he wouldn't be doing his show this morning (Monday).

:tweeted:

windowphobe
01-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Clear Channel did program them for a while, under a Local Marketing Agreement with OPUBCO; this ended when the station was sold to Citadel.

Jack
01-14-2006, 11:37 AM
What a crying shame. They're wrecking the history of the city's oldest radio station.