View Full Version : ONG gas is High

Keith
01-07-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't know how many of you were shocked when you received your ONG bill this last month, but I sure was. My bill was 5 times more than it usually is. I called ONG to see if they had made a mistake...but it wasn't a mistake.

I really feel for those who are on fixed incomes, because they will be hit the hardest. Plus, many of the elderly will cut back on their heat this winter in order to save money. Others will invest in space heaters, which, if they are not careful, could cause fires.

Soaring heating bills cut deep

By Adam Wilmoth
The Oklahoman

Consumers are finding a shock in their heating bills this month as increased natural gas prices and usage have significantly increased utility charges.

Despite unseasonably mild temperatures over the past few weeks, utilities say natural gas consumption was up in December because of the frigid temperatures during the month's first few days.

"When we spend several days in single digits, a lot of gas is going to be consumed," Oklahoma Natural Gas spokesman Don Sherry said. "The daytime temperatures have been even balmy lately, but we still have had cool nights. The cumulative impact is still more than was consumed last year."

Alice N. Talley of Oklahoma City said her gas bill ballooned from $36 for October to $123 in November and $202 for December.

"I'm trying to get by on a $900 check each month," said Tally, 90. "I'm struggling to do without some things. My medicine bills are terribly high."

Talley said she turns the thermostat below comfortable levels and her daughter regularly brings food.

"I'm awfully cold-natured," she said. "I bundle up and wear a heavy housecoat all day to keep warm, and my gas bill is still eating me up. I don't know how in the world I can continue. You have to pay your taxes. And you have to pay these bills or they'll cut you off. I have to pay them and do without something else."

Besides increased consumption, local and national industry experts have blamed much of the increased heating cost on soaring natural gas prices.

Oklahoma utilities are allowed to profit only on the delivery of natural gas, not on sales of the fuel. The utility's costs are passed to consumers. Most ONG residential customers paid about $11.55 per thousand cubic feet for the natural gas they used in December and will pay $12.01 for the fuel in January. The amount is up from $7.55 in January 2005.

Most Centerpoint Arkla customers are paying $9.63 per thousand cubic feet, up from $8.22 one year ago.

Both utilities refer many of their customers in need to the Salvation Army, which has several funds available to help people pay their heating bills.

Ashley Jones, the Salvation Army's divisional director of social services, said phone calls have increased 25 percent this year.

The Salvation Army has received nearly $900,000 in pledges from several of the state's largest companies over the past few weeks, but only Public Service Company of Oklahoma and Devon Energy Corp. had delivered their checks as of Friday afternoon, Jones said.

Jones said her group typically has given about $100 per qualifying household. This year, the Salvation Army is expecting to pay $250 to $300 for each family, both because bills are expected to be larger and because the group soon expects to have more money available. The Salvation Army funds are primarily designed to help senior citizens and people with disabilities as well as people with short term needs who don't qualify for government aid.

Karried
01-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Keith, that is so sad for the elderly - poor things - I hate it when older people are suffering and have to make choices between food, medicine and/or heat - and the worst of it is when they try to use space heaters and catch the house on fire.

I haven't gotten mine yet and I don't want to see it when it comes!

dirtrider73068
01-07-2006, 12:04 PM
One reason I will not rent or own a home that has ong in it. I am all for total electric or even solar power. When I am able to hopefully in my lifetime to own my home I am going to invest in haveing a solar power system installed to run all the high energy stuff, ac/heat, water heater, dryer all those things. There are safer space heaters out there now.

Here is a link to a efficent safer space heater, takes way less energy than a bigger unit would. I am considering one for my downstairs and my outside storage area to keep warm with on cold days. http://www.eheat.com/

Only thing that can be done to decrease the cost of ong is to fight back use less or change over to electric if cost permits. I have gotten into numerous fights with ong about the outragous gas bill told them it was stupid to have a 400 gas bill nobody has the kind of money to pas for gas.

windowphobe
01-07-2006, 03:34 PM
(Should we tell him that most of OG&E's power comes from burning natural gas, the price of which is passed on in the monthly "fuel adjustment"?)

dirtrider73068
01-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Well my eletric bill averages about 100 month that I can handle, but for gas at over 300 a month, those with ong can keep it, I will still stay with electric. I would rather have one electric bill for ac/heat lights, than have a gas bill for heat then on top that a electric bill for everything else.

sweetdaisy
01-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Dirtrider, I hate to tell you this, but it's not ONG's fault. It's the fact that natural gas prices have skyrocketed to all-time highs. It's a problem all over the U.S., not just here in Oklahoma. I'll bet the OG&E electricity rate increase really put a burr under your saddle, too.

Two options for natural gas customers: 1) get on averaged billing to help even out your bills over the year, or 2) if the opportunity presents itself in the late summer/early fall, hedge your gas price with ONG.

I'm always amazed by people who complain about utility prices...find out the facts of what and why before you start yelling.

dirtrider73068
01-07-2006, 08:12 PM
If og&e has rasied there rates it hasn't been by much, I haven't noticed it. I not yelling about it, saying I won't ever rent or own a home with ong in it. Its funny to say they only charge you for the delievry fee for getting the the gas to you then why is it so high? Wouldn't it make more sense that the amount used would cost more then what it takes to get to where its going. Thats what I never understood and my gripe is, it cost more to get the gas then what is used.

Keith
01-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Dirtrider, I hate to tell you this, but it's not ONG's fault. It's the fact that natural gas prices have skyrocketed to all-time highs. It's a problem all over the U.S., not just here in Oklahoma. I'll bet the OG&E electricity rate increase really put a burr under your saddle, too.

Two options for natural gas customers: 1) get on averaged billing to help even out your bills over the year, or 2) if the opportunity presents itself in the late summer/early fall, hedge your gas price with ONG.

I'm always amazed by people who complain about utility prices...find out the facts of what and why before you start yelling.
Actually, when I called ONG and questioned my bill, I asked them to set me up on the average billing each month so that I would have no more surprises.

dirtrider73068
01-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Actually, when I called ONG and questioned my bill, I asked them to set me up on the average billing each month so that I would have no more surprises.

But here is the catch you have to be caught up on your bill for at least 6 months. You can't even be behind a little has to be stayed current. I have treid this before they refused to help me at all, period. You would think these utility companys would be nice enough to help people that are struggleing to help somehow to let them get the bills paid and caught up, ong does no such thing. Granted og&e doesn't either but if you yell hard enough at og&e they will work with you on it.

sweetdaisy
01-07-2006, 08:24 PM
I not yelling about it, saying I won't ever rent or own a home with ong in it.

Actually, you did say it. First sentence of your first post made the claim that you would not rent or own a home with ong in it.

Its funny to say they only charge you for the delievry fee for getting the the gas to you then why is it so high? Wouldn't it make more sense that the amount used would cost more then what it takes to get to where its going. Thats what I never understood and my gripe is, it cost more to get the gas then what is used.

I don't understand your statements above. There is more than just a delivery fee on a gas bill. The USAGE of the gas is what's costing so much right now. My last gas bill had a rate of $11.44/dekatherm. A more "normal" rate would be closer to around $5/dekatherm. Unfortunately, I cannot find a gas bill, otherwise I'd explain the charges to you.

My big complaint about ONG: Their website SUCKS!

sweetdaisy
01-07-2006, 08:28 PM
But here is the catch you have to be caught up on your bill for at least 6 months. You can't even be behind a little has to be stayed current. I have treid this before they refused to help me at all, period. You would think these utility companys would be nice enough to help people that are struggleing to help somehow to let them get the bills paid and caught up, ong does no such thing. Granted og&e doesn't either but if you yell hard enough at og&e they will work with you on it.

At some point, someone needs to explain to me why it is the utility's responsibility to help everyone stay "caught up" on their bills. Is it a grocery store's responsibility to help pay for groceries, too?

I know people are struggling...everyone is. And, I might also add, the UTILITIES struggle, too. So do their employees who have to be laid off b/c the utility had to slash costs when they aren't being paid.

dirtrider73068
01-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Ong sucks period, website or just the company itself. I know my first post said it was a statement I would not rent or own a home with ong in it. Also the statement of it only being a delivery fee was straight from ong is what they told me. Its hard to understand and explain to anybody, I never could understand the theroy of the bill and charges for as long as I had ong, why I won't ever use them.

sweetdaisy
01-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh, and I was able to get on the average billing after only having service with ONG for one month.

dirtrider73068
01-07-2006, 08:31 PM
At some point, someone needs to explain to me why it is the utility's responsibility to help everyone stay "caught up" on their bills. Is it a grocery store's responsibility to help pay for groceries, too?

I know people are struggling...everyone is. And, I might also add, the UTILITIES struggle, too. So do their employees who have to be laid off b/c the utility had to slash costs when they aren't being paid.

What I mean by help the people is give them the chance to catch up instead of saying oh well shut them off. Every now and them one gets behind or pays late, just how it works. People say oh it sad how th efixed income and elderly can't pay for the high bills. Where is the help in that? The utility's can help them with that but they don't that I have ver heard of.

dirtrider73068
01-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Oh, and I was able to get on the average billing after only having service with ONG for one month.

You weren't behind on a bill either is why. If I would have known and had the chance to do that I would have believe me. I don't like to be behind or pay late, or will I ask for help but at times I have no choice and have had at time let things get turned off cause I couldn't pay but paid more in the end to get back on. Way I look at it life is hard, things just have be lived with.

sweetdaisy
01-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Good grief. I'm getting tired by this discussion.

Believe what you want about the utilities being the "bad guys", but remember they provide a very valuable service in an industry that obviously, you cannot even begin to understand.

Also, please note that on your electric bill each month, you have the opportunity to donate money to the "Lend-a-hand" program that does help low income individuals pay their bills. ONG has the same type of program. Obviously, the incredibly high gas prices this year is creating a bigger demand for help from ONG and from organizations such as Salvation Army. This year will be interesting to see how ONG handles this problem, however I doubt we will hear of anyone freezing to death b/c their gas has been shut off and that ONG wouldn't help them.

windowphobe
01-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Most recent price for gas was around $12/Dth, though this seems to be the peak and it should subside somewhat.

In the fall, ONG offered people the opportunity to lock in a price of $8.393/Dth for an entire year. This offer expired at the end of October, at which time the price was still around $7, so relatively few took them up on it. I am keeping track of how much it cost me not to sign up for it; through December, it was a tad over $20. (I expect my January bill on Monday or Tuesday, and I suspect this will increase to $45 or so.)

I am coming out quite well, though, buying watts from OG&E's wind farm; of late, it's been cheaper than their garden-variety power.

Oki_Man5
01-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Thanks to my wife's perfect organization in taking care of our bills, and maybe even our (both of us) desires to stay current on our bills (Need to knock on wood here; ty Daisy for lending your forehead LOL), we have not experienced the "behind on bills thingy." Gosh, I hope we never do especially as I/we are heading into retirement.

In my line of work, I see a lot of people who are consistently late on their bills---rent late every danged month; electric getting cut off regularly; most out here do not have ONG, but I have ONG due to being nearby to a feeder line that was tapped a long time ago, and when wife and I took hammers into hand and spent over a year of our spare/leisure time banging some boards together that were paid for paycheck to paycheck, we have not had a mortgage payment over the past 30 or so years.

I believe our electricity (OGE) nor our gas (ONG) has ever been turned off---never even been late that I recall. I am proud of that record, but it is not the reason for this post.

People need to prioritize---to me the house payment/rent, utilities, food, clothing, medicine (whatever else is a truly needed) should hold the highest place on the priorities list. Then can come the movie tickets, zoo tickets, INTERNET ACCESS (Yeah! I capitalized that) and things like that.

Only when the top priorities are funded should the other items be considered, but too many people do not feel that way, and they fund the wanted items while allowing the needed items to go unpaid.

Hey, there have been times when (while I was younger I might add) I worked as many as two part-time jobs while still holding down my real job, and I do not really think it affected our family life. For the first 10 or so years of our married life, wife did not work outside the home, and at about the 10-year mark, she started to college being funded entirely by my paychecks from the several jobs that I would be working, and we still seemed to have plenty of together time.

On a side note, I have had some of the younger generation tell me that he or she was not going to work for a wage that was not worthy of the talents while his or her rent was going unpaid or the utilities were being shut off. I had no sympathy; I worked for what might be called today "minimum wage" to keep a lifestyle my family enjoyed, so why should I have sympathy for one who does not?

Karried
01-08-2006, 06:51 AM
windowphobe, do you remember my thread asking if anyone thought it was a good idea to sign up for the service? Ultimately, I decided against it - mistake, the very next month the price jumped.. thank goodness our weather has been incredibly warm.. the heater hasn't been on during the day for weeks.. that will help the cost of last month when it was on endlessly.. oh well, we knew it was coming.

sweetdaisy
01-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks to my wife's perfect organization in taking care of our bills, and maybe even our (both of us) desires to stay current on our bills (Need to knock on wood here; ty Daisy for lending your forehead LOL), we have not experienced the "behind on bills thingy." Gosh, I hope we never do especially as I/we are heading into retirement.

In my line of work, I see a lot of people who are consistently late on their bills---rent late every danged month; electric getting cut off regularly; most out here do not have ONG, but I have ONG due to being nearby to a feeder line that was tapped a long time ago, and when wife and I took hammers into hand and spent over a year of our spare/leisure time banging some boards together that were paid for paycheck to paycheck, we have not had a mortgage payment over the past 30 or so years.

I believe our electricity (OGE) nor our gas (ONG) has ever been turned off---never even been late that I recall. I am proud of that record, but it is not the reason for this post.

People need to prioritize---to me the house payment/rent, utilities, food, clothing, medicine (whatever else is a truly needed) should hold the highest place on the priorities list. Then can come the movie tickets, zoo tickets, INTERNET ACCESS (Yeah! I capitalized that) and things like that.

Only when the top priorities are funded should the other items be considered, but too many people do not feel that way, and they fund the wanted items while allowing the needed items to go unpaid.

Hey, there have been times when (while I was younger I might add) I worked as many as two part-time jobs while still holding down my real job, and I do not really think it affected our family life. For the first 10 or so years of our married life, wife did not work outside the home, and at about the 10-year mark, she started to college being funded entirely by my paychecks from the several jobs that I would be working, and we still seemed to have plenty of together time.

On a side note, I have had some of the younger generation tell me that he or she was not going to work for a wage that was not worthy of the talents while his or her rent was going unpaid or the utilities were being shut off. I had no sympathy; I worked for what might be called today "minimum wage" to keep a lifestyle my family enjoyed, so why should I have sympathy for one who does not?

:congrats: Well written, Okiman. My thoughts exactly about PRIORITIES. I have been in situations before where I was "robbing Peter to pay Paul", i.e. so low on money that I really had to stop and figure out what was most important. Rent & basic utilities is first and foremost. After those have been taken care of, then maybe cable or internet, or phone, or whatever else one feels is necessary to make their lives better. Cut out all the extra crap that you spend your money on and most are able to get caught up. It's a huge sacrifice, and is difficult to do, but sometimes it must be done. Another method to get caught up: Pawn/sell some of the more unnecessary conveniences of our lives. I've had to do it, therefore feel I can make a statement regarding this.

Please note everyone, I do not lump all low-income folks into this message. It is a generalization not to be taken as directed toward everyone. Many seniors in our society absolutely cannot cut out necessities such as medication, etc. And because of that issue, the lend-a-hand programs have been established by utility companies. Even though they would of course, like to make some sort of profit, they will not turn their backs on the truly needy of our state.

sweetdaisy
01-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Karried, I remember your thread and wish I had been just a tad bit more tuned in to what they were offering. I didn't have gas service at the time, so I had no idea what the offer was...though I knew the projections for the gas prices were high. :( Sorry.

Oki_Man5
01-09-2006, 05:51 AM
I was going to post my gas payment, but when I looked into the book where my very organized wife keeps the bills, I did not find it. I thought maybe it had not yet come for the January billing, but when I asked her, she said she hadjust paid it, and it was in the book. LOL Imagine the look on her face when she smugly turned to the place, and it was not there. LOL I suspect she thinks I hid it from her; oh, well! I am usually in trouble for something.

It has been warm for a while, so most probably expect that the gas bill would be somewaht low as I think. She says our bill was in the low $30.00 range if I remember correctly, but remember, I was dodging the missiles she was flinging from her thinking I messed with her bookkeeping as she was telling me.

We have gas heat in this house which is about 1700 sq feet of original house plus this 800 sq ft room where I like to be, but for the most part, we heat it with wood that I cut from the lots where I develop the land; yes! I could sell the wood for a premium price, but I do not like to sell "things," so I just stack it up. Bad thing is that it rots after a while, so it takes a lot of carrying it in when I want to burn some of that, but with trimming trees and all, we have lots of just-right-seasoned wood to burn too. The new fireplace---might call it a wood-burning stove built in---I ducted it from this room which is on the south end of the house to the bedrooms on the north end of the house, and when the blower is going, it equlizes the temperature throughout the entire house.

LOL Wife was worrying that running the blower might cost more in electricity than burning the gas furnace, so I metered the blower, and it cost about 20 cents per day to run the blower from around 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. when the fire goes down unless I happen to awaken and feed more wood to the fire. LOL No, I do not get up and turn off the blower when the fire goes down (psst: They make timers. LOL)

Best git from here and bring wife's car around---have a great day, all.

Pete
No time to proofread---hope no typos LOL

MadMonk
01-13-2006, 11:29 AM
During those very cold days in Dec we burnt a lot of stored-up firewood and kept the thermostat down low (around 68). I'm anxiously waiting on my gas bill to see if it helped any. :sofa:

Karried
01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Mine was $286 for the month. We had friends come from CA so I wanted to keep the house warm.. I usually keep the heater at 67 degrees all the time. I think I had it at 72 for about a week - good thing they are our best friends!

I'm just so thankful that this month has been so mild - it will ease the 'ouch' factor of the December bill.

escan
01-13-2006, 02:35 PM
The best thing I've found is just to average your bill. It's higher in the summer months, but at least you know what you'll be paying. My average bill is about $125, but I would have had to pay $498 this month....totally worth the higher bill in July!

windowphobe
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
$159 here for the month. (I have a smallish three-bedroom house.)

mranderson
01-14-2006, 05:31 AM
$159 here for the month. (I have a smallish three-bedroom house.)

What is "smallish?"

Jack
01-14-2006, 11:34 AM
$275 here, for a 1700 sq foot home. Outrageous.

windowphobe
01-14-2006, 11:54 AM
"Smallish": per the Assessor's records, 1,060 square feet, not counting the garage. (Then again, the garage isn't heated, though it is nicely insulated.)

Keith
01-14-2006, 12:32 PM
"Smallish": per the Assessor's records, 1,060 square feet, not counting the garage. (Then again, the garage isn't heated, though it is nicely insulated.)
My house is smaller than "smallish." A $179.00 gas bill (normally $19.00), for an 850 sg ft home. And.....we just had new siding and storm windows installed. I thought that would make a big difference, but I haven't seen it yet.

Bobby H
01-14-2006, 02:02 PM
My gas bill doubled last month, likely due to the cold snap we had in December. Hopefully the warm temperatures we've had will reverse some of those price spikes.

As to who is struggling, I can't really fault CenterPoint Energy (my NG provider). They're not making huge profits off this -due in part to limits set by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. However there are others in the fossil fuels "food chain" that are indeed making out like bandits.

The end result will be price hikes for everything. Eventually the squeeze being put on us by the oil and gas industry will cause quite a lot of inflation.

However, even more worrisome is the totally unchecked price gouging happening in the health care industrial complex. The United States is now spending 16% of its entire gross economic output on health care costs. That's really really BAD.

Lots of people have been getting by, trying to maintain unsustainable lifestyles by cashing out the equity in their homes -basically treating their property like a big ATM. With interest rates rising that part of our "credit card economy" is starting to slow and grind to an eventual halt.

Unless some steps are taken by lots of different parties we can expect to see some serious inflation happening. When your costs of doing business or just living outweigh your paycheck then you just have to charge more money. Or you have to cut out lots of things and do without. The latter means a lot less spending to keep the economy afloat. 70% of our economy relies on people having enough money left over after bills to buy stuff.

sweetdaisy
01-14-2006, 03:31 PM
So, just got my gas bill. ACK! $198 for a 1500 sq.ft. house. Fuel cost was a little over $12/Dekatherm. I'm a little shocked, but can understand it. Guess I need to be better about turning down that thermostat!

The good thing: I'm doing the average payment plan and only have to pay $47 this month. WHEW! It'll be worth it to make payments during the summer.

Like Bobby said, hopefully the warmer temps we've been having lately will help reverse this trend.

Oki_Man5
01-14-2006, 05:10 PM
I am curious as to how much is the Franchise Fee and the Sales tax paid to the city ou you all's bills.

Out here in the country outside any city limits we do not pay a franchise fee nor a sales tax. But ONG has been charging me a city tax which I am trying to get stopped and refunded.

About the sales tax and frasnchise fee, a couple years ago I complained to the corporation Commission that the tax and fee should be on the usage (Cubic Feet) not the bill in dollars; one of the members agreed with me, but the other two did not respond. This might be something to think about in 25 years when they want to revote the franchise. LOL As if anyone will remember. LOL

Pete

windowphobe
01-14-2006, 07:35 PM
In Oklahoma City proper, the franchise fee is 3 percent on service charge plus cost of gas; the city tax is 4 percent.

Oki_Man5
01-14-2006, 08:07 PM
So that is 7% to the city. On some of those bills discussed here, that would be over $15.00.