View Full Version : Goodbye Nothing But Noodles

TheImmortal
01-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Bricktown noodle eatery changes concepts

By Ja'Rena Lunsford
The Oklahoman

New Mexican grill to open soon
Mark Costello peered through the plastic covered windows at Bricktown's Nothing But Noodles on Tuesday. The downtown businessman's early lunch plans were derailed by news that the noodle eatery was converting to a Mexican restaurant.

"I heard Nothing But Noodles was doing fantastic," Costello said, as he pondered why a restaurant with sometimes standing-room-only would close.

Brandon Bittle, owner of Nothing But Noodles, 208 Johnny Bench Drive, said the decision to convert his noodle franchise into Rio Del Fuego Mexican Grill was not about customer traffic -- it was about noodles. Bittle said although the restaurant received large lunch crowds, Nothing But Noodles didn't draw enough evening and event traffic, resulting in what he called a fantastic location housing the wrong concept.

"Noodles is not one of the things that comes to mind for dinner if you are from out of town," said Bittle, who opened the restaurant with his brother, Nic, in November 2004.

The brothers also own the Nothing But Noodles at 2410 W Memorial Road, which will remain open. Bittle said Rio Del Fuego Mexican Grill will open later this month or early February.

Rather than vacating Bricktown, Bittle said giving diners what they are familiar with made more sense.

"Mexican is safe, it's a good staple," Bittle said. Barbecue and burgers also were possible concepts, but with the Sonic Cafe next door and Earl's Rib Palace in shouting distance, Bittle opted for spicier flavors.

"Man, I don't want to compete with those guys," he said of the neighboring restaurants. "I don't want to hurt their businesses either."

A concept change may not always be the answer when it comes to steady traffic in Bricktown though. Jim Cowan, president of the Bricktown Association, said many people judge Bricktown based on the crowds during New Year's Eve and other events, but in reality the traffic is unpredictable, no matter what you are serving.

"It just goes to show that you can't open your doors in Bricktown and stand back and watch people run over you," Cowan said. "That's why Chili's, On the Border and all those other large chains aren't down here. It's hard."

Not everyone is excited about a new Mexican restaurant in the area. "I think Abuelo's and Chelino's have it covered," Costello said.

Bittle said he knows it will take a while for downtown patrons to put the new restaurant into their rotation, but he is confident it will happen

OKCNDN
01-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Stick a Del Rancho down there and watch the crowds come.

John
01-05-2006, 09:17 PM
I think Abuelo's and Chelino's have it covered

:rolleyes:

Yeah buddy, keep on rockin'! I bet that guy also thought that we didn't need a new arena and voted against MAPS.

HOT ROD
01-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Oh no, not another quote "Mexican" unquote restaurant in Bricktown!!!

Aren't there any other formats that can prosper in OKC???

OKCNDN
01-06-2006, 10:15 AM
stick a buffet down there somewhere's.

scotplum
01-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Oh no, not another quote "Mexican" unquote restaurant in Bricktown!!!

Aren't there any other formats that can prosper in OKC???

How about a steak joint? :LolLolLol

BDP
01-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm so glad OKC is getting some Mexican food. :rolleyes:

It becomes clearer everyday thet the food selection in bricktown is destined to be pedestrian in every way. You got Nonna's and the Mantel and the rest is all the SOS (Mickey's is good, but not very orginal). Thankfully our options outside of bricktown are increasing.

TStheThird
01-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Which downtown district do you guys think will attract more diverse dining selections? I suppose that they will continue to pop up all over downtown with quite a few clustering in Automobile Alley eventually... that is just one man's opinnion.

Midtowner
01-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Competition will only allow so many Mexican restaurants to survive down there.

We have a little churn, and somewhat of a revolving door when it comes to so-so restaurants or individuals who don' thave their finances straight.

That's okay! May the strongest survive.

John
01-06-2006, 12:59 PM
I know it would be another 'mexican' joint to some, but a Chipotle in Bricktown, or at least nearby in downtown would be a hit.

jbrown84
01-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah it seems Chipotle would at least be better than whatever unheard of franchise they have picked.

TheImmortal
01-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I tried to find a website on the internet for the resturaunt but could not, could this possibly be a creation of their own?

metro
01-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I'll post a picture of the new joint tomorrow

Elmofromok
01-10-2006, 08:16 AM
This makes me so mad. We went by there to eat last night and saw that it was closed. I really enjoyed going to Nothing but Noodles before a movie and drinks.

The thing that killed that place was closing so damn early. It's insane to close in Bricktown before 11pm.

Argggg....

metro
01-10-2006, 10:33 AM
I agree, their hours were not inviting. I too went that same night to eat there that night only to be informed they were no longer there

Southside Mike
03-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I will miss Nothing but Noodles... The food there was excellent! If they are going to replace it, they should choose the obvious void in the bricktown menu... We need a good Chinese restaurant there!

Patrick
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I will miss Nothing but Noodles... The food there was excellent! If they are going to replace it, they should choose the obvious void in the bricktown menu... We need a good Chinese restaurant there!

Actually it was already replaced with a Mexican Restaurant:

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/5944-rio-del-fuego.html

I do agree, we need a good Chinese Restauant in Bricktown. We had Taste of China, but it didn't last.