View Full Version : Forget Disneyland; let’s go to Holy Land!

PUGalicious
01-05-2006, 06:44 AM
(Originally posted here (http://independentchristianvoice.com/2006/01/04/forget-disneyland-lets-go-to-holy-land/))

Forget Disneyland; let’s go to Holy Land!

The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,1677557,00.html?gusrc=rss) is reporting that American evangelical groups are near a deal with Israel to build a biblical theme park on the shore of the Sea of Galilee, near the site where Jesus is believed to have fed the 5000 with five loaves of bread and two fish.

The Israeli government is planning to give up a large slice of land to American Christian evangelicals to build a biblical theme park by the Sea of Galilee where Jesus is said to have walked on water and fed 5,000 with five loaves and two fish.A consortium of Christian groups, led by the television evangelist Pat Robertson, is in negotiation with the Israeli ministry of tourism and a deal is expected in the coming months. The project is expected to bring up to 1 million extra tourists a year but an undeclared benefit will be the cementing of a political alliance between the Israeli rightwing and the American Christian right.

However, the alliance has not been welcomed by all Israelis, including some who fear the ultimate aim of the evangelicals is the conversion of the Jews to Christianity rather than support for Israel.

Jonathan Pulik, a spokesman for the Israeli ministry of tourism, said the Christian market was very important for Israel's tourism industry. "We would like to give them more of a reason to come here. We would be willing to lease the land to them free of charge and they would finance the construction."

The site of the centre, covering nearly 50 hectares (125 acres) and provisionally called the Galilee World Heritage Park, would be north-east of the Mount of the Beatitudes where Jesus delivered the Sermon on the Mount, and Capernaum which was described as the town of Jesus in the Bible. It would feature a garden and nature park, an auditorium, a Holy Land exhibition, outdoor amphitheatres, information centre and a media studio.

The ministry of tourism estimates the total cost would be $48m (£28m). Mr Pulik also pointed out that the project would bring large numbers of jobs to the area. Mr Robertson said in a statement that he was "fully cooperating" with the project but no deal had been formalised. He said he was thrilled that "there will be a place in the Galilee where evangelical Christians from all over the world can come to celebrate the actual place where Jesus Christ lived and taught".

The Sea of Galilee is more reminiscent of the Scottish Highlands than the Middle East, particularly in winter and spring when the hills are green. The existing Christian sites are picturesque and understated oases of calm and there is even a Church of Scotland hotel and church in Tiberias, the main town in the area.

A major part of the shore of the Sea of Galilee was Syrian until it was conquered by Israel in 1967. Syria and Israel are still officially in a state of war and Syria insists the return of the Golan Heights and the Galilee shore is a prerequisite for peace.

Uri Dagul, the project coordinator, said the land issues would be concluded within a few weeks and then the final details would be agreed between the Israeli government and the Christian communities which are primarily American evangelical churches.

The American Christian right, best known for television evangelism and its stars such as Mr Robertson and Jerry Falwell, has been among the strongest supporters of Israel in the US.

The primary reason is that according to the Old Testament, Israel was given to the Jews by God. Fundamentalist Christians believe that in order for Jesus to return, two preconditions are Jewish control of the land of Israel and the conversion of the Jews to Christianity.

Yossi Sarid, a former government minister and member of the Knesset, said he was wary of the friendship of the American Christian right and projects such as the Galilee centre. He said: "I am not enthusiastic about this cooperation because I have no desire to be cannon fodder for the evangelists.

"As a Jew, they believe I have to vanish before Jesus can make his second appearance. As I have no plans to convert, as an Israeli and a Jew, I find this a provocation. There is something sinister about their embrace."

Avraham Hirschson, the Israeli tourism minister, said: "I'm not a theologian, I'm the minister of tourism, and I'm not interested in the politics of our tourists as long as they come here. They come here as tourists, and they're friends of Israel."

Although this news doesn’t necessarily surprise me, it does raise some question:

Is this the wisest use of evangelical resources? In other words, if Jesus were standing on that same shore, would his first priority be to build a theme park? Are there higher priorities, like world hunger, world peace… lost souls?
Is this the wisest plan when it comes to safety? Think about it. The two biggest targets in the world today — Israelis and Americans — in one convenient location. Aren’t we just asking for trouble?

fromdust
01-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Is this the wisest plan when it comes to safety? Think about it. The two biggest targets in the world today — Israelis and Americans — in one convenient location. Aren’t we just asking for trouble?

talk about a wonderland for the terrorists.

Midtowner
01-05-2006, 02:05 PM
No, Pat Robertson is a friend to terrorists and thugs around the world. Charles Taylor of Libya for example.

Randy
01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
No, Pat Robertson is a friend to terrorists and thugs around the world. Charles Taylor of Libya for example.
Pat Robertson is a friend to terrorists? That's a pretty strong statement. I assume you have the facts to back this up?

Pat Robertson is a fine Christian man with excellent morals. Just like me and you, he makes mistakes. You do make mistakes, don't you?

You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill, but it does give you something to discuss, so have fun.

Midtowner
01-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Charles Taylor = Dictator and war criminal in Liberia

Charles Taylor = Also Pat's friend

But even with the energy expended on that effort, he still had time to prop up Liberia. "The United States State Department has tried as hard as it can to destabilize Liberia," Robertson complained on his June 26 show. "They only wanted to destroy the sitting president and his government."

Robertson returned to the issue again and again. On July 7, he asserted that the United States had no business forcing the "duly elected" Taylor from power. On July 9, he recommended sending U.S. troops to protect the Taylor regime from the rebels trying to overthrow it. "We sent our troops to

http://www.msmagazine.com/sept03/sizemore.asp

Charles Taylor backed a terrorist organization called the UDF which besides killing many innocents used child soldiers according to the UN.

So yes, factually speaking, Robertson supports terrorists. Not necessarily the dirka-dirka-Mohammad-Jihad variety, but terrorists nontheless.

Randy
01-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Charles Taylor = Dictator and war criminal in Liberia

Charles Taylor = Also Pat's friend

http://www.msmagazine.com/sept03/sizemore.asp

Charles Taylor backed a terrorist organization called the UDF which besides killing many innocents used child soldiers according to the UN.

So yes, factually speaking, Robertson supports terrorists. Not necessarily the dirka-dirka-Mohammad-Jihad variety, but terrorists nontheless.

So, what you are saying is Pat Robertson is guilty and supports terrorism because he is friends with Charles Taylor? That's totally ridiculous.

Do you have friends that lie, cheat, get drunk, steal, or do drugs? If you have that type of friend, does that mean that you are just as guilty as they are because they are your friends? That's what you are saying.

You have no facts that say that Robertson supports terrorism. He has a friend that has a terrorist organization, but that doesn't mean Robertson supports it.

Taylor used child soldiers "according to the U.N.?" Since when has the U.N ever told the truth?

What you have here, sir, is nothing. Give it up. :whiteflag

Midtowner
01-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Laughable.

The U.N., the Southern Baptist Convention, every sane person agree on the point. Charles Taylor is a war criminal, Pat Robertson supports him.

Robertson continues to defend Liberian dictator, but other evangelicals are critical
Liberian President Charles Taylor does not have many friends. And for good reason. The dictator has been indicted by a U.N.-related court for crimes against humanity, has fomented armed rebellion across West Africa, and has been accused of rape, mass murder, using child soldiers, and other atrocities in his days as a militia leader.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/127/48.0.html

-- and they've ALL distanced themselves from him.

Are they friends or business partners?

Robertson told The Washington Post in an interview published Thursday that he has “written off in my own mind” an $8 million investment in a Liberian gold mining venture he made four years ago, under an agreement with Taylor's government.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/11/national/main562915.shtml

It seems that the ties go deeper than friendship. Not only does he keep terrorist/war criminals as friends, he also finances their murdering and raping. A step above the average sinner I think. More on the level of co-conspirator at that investment level.

That's not what I'm saying, you fail to grasp my basic assertions. Let me give you this "fictitious" scenario:

I decide I want to make some money, I therefore travel to Dirkadirkastan where I make a contract with Ali Muhammad Jihad, someone who is an indicted war criminal to drill for oil. Of course, it is well known that Ali rose to power following fradulent elections and in maintaining his business, his state sponsored militia has perpetrated the rape and murder of countless innocents, mainly because they are Christians and need to be suppressed to ensure the continuous flow of oil.

Would that sit well with you?

If I gave $8-million to Bin Ladin, the Iraqi rebels, or someone of that nature in exchange for assurances that I could mine their minerals, that'd be okay, they'd be my pals, but I wouldn't be supporting them by giving them 8-million dollars.

Of course, Christianity Today, CBS News, CNN, the Washington Times, etc. could be wrong, and you could be right.

Jack
01-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Back on topic, I have an idea of what to do with the theme park once it's built. Hand it over to the Palestinians. I don't think this is the best time to be promoting tourism in Israel, especially with all of the unrest going on over there.