View Full Version : The iPod Thread

okcpulse
01-03-2006, 06:43 PM
This thread is to cover any topic concerning iPods since they are quickly becoming the most popular music player of 2006. Anyone who has an iPod can share tips with new users to make your iPod experience easier and more pleasing.

I will start with the iPod Nano. This small and handy device comes in several different sizes, beginning with 2GB of space for up to 500 MP3 songs and over 1000 pcitures.

I give the iPod Nano an 8 in my official review, and here is why.

The device sounds absolutely wonderful, and puts out some serious volume for music lovers. There are plenty of options from which to choose, including integrating your contacts with your e-mail service, and a calendar for daily routines. You can even divide your music into different categories, and uploading music to your iPod takes little time.

Unfortunately, the Nano comes with sparse documentation. There are no in-depth troubleshooting instructions for certain problems that could arise, other than a recommendation to use a USB 2.0 port. For instance, my brother-in-law asked me to show him how to put songs on his Nano. The instructions ask me to follow the steps in iTunes to upload songs. However, iTunes had no such steps, other than indicating that his Nano was detected. And, no documentation was given on how to use iTunes. So, I had to look elsewhere for further assistance.

By the way, don't simply click and drag music from iTunes music folder to the open window for the iPod Nano. You songs will not appear. I found the information I needed on Apple's web site inside the Support link, which was not provided in the documentation that came with the package.

In iTunes, you have several options on how you want your music uploaded. If you want to add and remove sings from your playlist, you must select the Manage You Songs Manually option in the iPod Options menu. Be sure you have your iPod's playlist pulled up on iTunes. If you want to individually add songs to you iPod, you can click and drag the songs from the iTunes playlist and drop the selection by mousing over the iPod icon on the iTunes left-side navigation panel, then releasing the mouse-button. To select and drag more than one song but not an entire playlist, simply hold the Ctrl button on your keyboard while clicking on your selections, since you cannot highlight your entire window by dragging your mouse over a certain area in iTunes.

So, enjoy yet another stellar device from Apple, and happy uploading!

Karried
01-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Wow, that is too funny - I'm usually pretty computer savvy and I had to spend about an hour Christmas morning setting up my son's Nano - I had the problem where the device wasn't being recognized so I had to reset the Nano and install the software again until it finally recognized it under Itunes.. now it finds it and we have figured out how to set it to auto download and update but I too was surprised at how little info came with it and how difficult it was to actually get it up and running. I had to download manuals from Apple help section... but anyway, once it was all set it sounded great and I'm jealous and I want one. I had it engraved " For those about to rock!"

Yodachaos
01-03-2006, 10:41 PM
I bought the Ipod mini 20gb. For me it was pretty easy to figure out after reading the documentation. I didnt like on Itunes that you had to upload the entire thing and once the song was not in the itunes folder and if you uploaded it to your ipod, it erased it off the ipod.
Im guessing thats now how it was sopposed to work, but I only had it for a few days and returned it.

I am going to buy another one when I am able.

would recommend it to anyone else.

On the nano, I had a few friends that bought them when they came out and they had problems with the screen getting scratched.

flyingcowz
01-06-2006, 06:26 AM
I got a black nano 4gb for Christmas. I have had absolutely no problems with it, and love it!

TStheThird
01-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Yodachaos... you have to take the Ipod off of automatic update and put it on manual. It comes set on auto and will adjust to the current status of your library. On manual, it will not update unless you add or delete songs.