View Full Version : Concerned Women for America says Barbie website promotes gender confusion

PUGalicious
01-02-2006, 04:48 PM
(Originally posted here (http://independentchristianvoice.com/2006/01/02/concerned-women-for-american-says-barbie-website-promotes-gender-confusion/))

Concerned Women for America (http://www.cwfa.org/articles/9788/CWA/misc/) has issued a warning to parents:

The iconic Barbie Doll has become another tool for promoting gender confusion among children. On the Barbie Web site, www.Barbie.com (http://www.Barbie.com), there is a poll that asks children their age and sex. The age choices are 4-8, but as Bob Knight, Director of CWA’s Culture & Family Institute, notes children are given three options for their choice of gender. Click here (http://www.cwfa.org/play.asp?id=cw20051230a) to listen.
I am a father of two daughters, so this item piqued my interest. I listened to what Bob Knight had to say, but I admit I was still skeptical. So I checked out the website and it indeed gives the view three options. Is this part of a proactive homosexual agenda, as Mr. Knight contends? Is Mattel executing a campaign to confuse little girls into questioning their sexual identity? Is the part of a grander scheme of the vast homosexual conspiracy to compel Corporate America to destroy traditional Christian values and destroy America’s children? I don’t know. Mr. Knight said little that was convincing, when you take what he says in the context of CWA’s stated agenda.

But, as a father of two daughters trying to instill Christ’s values in their lives, I do not see this Barbie poll as the biggest threat to my daughters, in the same way that I didn’t see Sponge Bob Square Pants, Tinky Winky and Lenny the Shark were threats to my daughters’ morality. Even if it was, it’s my responsibility as a parent to educate my girls about Christ’s teachings and scripture, to pray for them and to guide them as they grow. I firmly believe that if you were to ask my girls who has the most influence in their lives, they would say their parents. We are very involved in their lives, work hard to build steadfast open lines of communication, spending significant time each week talking with them.

My girls will face all kinds of corrupting influences in their lives, while they live with us and after they move on. Our goal as parents is not to shelter them from every possible negative influence; rather, as they face negative influences, we walk them through those challenges, explaining why those influences are not in their best interest and allowing them to choose the correct path. Rather than imposing morality upon them, we are trying to instill a moral compass that guides them in the right direction. We cannot be with them 24/7/365 and be their morality police; it has to come from within them in order for them to make right choices when we’re not around.

I do not know why Mattel chose to list three choices for gender on the Barbie poll. Is it part of a surreptitious scheme to instill (or at minimum, validate) gender confusion in little girls’ minds? It’s possible, but I have reasonable doubts. In any case, it doesn’t change my role as a parent. A solid, moral foundation helps a child ignore or reject those things that are contrary to their moral compass — like a “sinister” third option for gender selection on a Barbie poll.

Midtowner
01-03-2006, 07:22 AM
I went to the Barbie site, couldn't find the poll. I didn't look too hard though. Still, does it really exist? I'm skeptical.

This is classic of the Jerry Fallwell types. Barbie is not a threat to your children! Neither is MTV, 50-cent, their Xbox, violence on TV or any of those things. The biggest threat? Parents that do not prepare their children to make the right choices when faced with moral dilemnas. Chasing these red herrings is unproductive and beside the point. Parents need to be responsible for their own children -- not assume others will be -- or be angry when the actions of others do not comport with the rules of their own household.

PUGalicious
01-03-2006, 08:20 AM
I went to the Barbie site, couldn't find the poll. I didn't look too hard though. Still, does it really exist? I'm skeptical.
http://barbie.everythinggirl.com/activities/btv/poll/index.aspx?pollid=118

Midtowner
01-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Funny. An "other" box is clearly a sign of society's inevitable decline.

The next thing you know, the Visigoths will be sacking Edmond.

Jack
01-03-2006, 02:47 PM
The 3rd option is "I don't want to say." What's the big deal with that? Someone may not want to reveal their sex for confidentiality reasons.

PUGalicious
01-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Mattel has changed the poll from what it was for the past week through this morning. Previously, the third option was, "I don't know." That's what CWA was upset about. I'm sure that Mattel made sure to correct it with the new poll to avoid any more controversy.

Jack
01-03-2006, 02:57 PM
If that's the case, forget Barbie. They're siding with the homosexual agenda. Teaching kids at a young age thast it's okay to be confused about your gender. Pathetic.

PUGalicious
01-03-2006, 03:02 PM
My point ultimately is that CWA produced no proof other than mere speculation as to why that third option was listed. It could have been a simple programming mistake. CWA, and now apparently you, have judged Mattel and Barbie without knowing all the facts. That was the point of me posting on this forum. Christian organizations are quick to judge without knowing the facts and often when it's not their place.

If Christian parents believe (even wrongly) that Mattel is promoting a sinister surreptitious campaign to infuse the homosexual agenda into our children, then stop buying those products. What's truly pathetic is looking for ways to be offended and then becoming outraged over misperceptions, misinformation and general hysterical paranoia.

Jack
01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I highly doubt that was a programming error.

PUGalicious
01-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Your doubt hardly carries the weight of evidence. It still falls within the realm of rampant speculation. Can you document a proven track record of Mattel advancing the homosexual agenda?

As someone who spends time programming websites, both personally and professionally, I can attest to the occurrence of errors. And if they were trying to promote gender confusion, why correct the "error"? Their agenda remains, if they truly have one, as you and CWA seem to be implying.

Unless you or CWA can come up with documented evidence of Mattel's pattern of advancing an untoward agenda, I'll give the company the benefit of the doubt. In any case, you and CWA supporters certainly don't have to support the company in any way, shape or form. Vote with your pocketbook.