View Full Version : "Holly" passes away

Keith
01-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I spoke with mranderson this morning, and he informed me that he had to put his dog, Holly, to sleep. In the last few days, she had been going downhill fast, and the vet advised mranderson that Holly would need a traciotomy (sp), in order to survive.

Instead of putting Holly through the ordeal, he chose to go ahead and have her put to sleep. He held her while the veterinarian injected the lethal shot, and was holding her when she passed on.

Many of you that have pets know that your pets are just like children to you. This is the case for mranderson......he has lost a member of his family. To some, it is just a dog, but to many, it isn't. Our condolences go out to mranderson.

Karried
01-02-2006, 02:07 PM
aahhh Rob, I'm so sorry.

I know you did the right thing - but, it's so painful even though you know you had no choice... she is out of pain and blissfully at peace... even though we suffer tremendously, we have to let them go sometimes - that's what real love is..

Hang in there... (((( hugs ))))

Oki_Man5
01-02-2006, 04:54 PM
To me, it is not just a dog; it is a trusted friend.

The past two years in the fall, I had to have one of my chows put to sleep each year; Yes! I am a grown man, but I still cried as each of them passed away.

I really miss them two, but they were old, and I too felt it was the best for them.

Not that I am ready to go (I plan to be around a long long time yet.), but when my time comes, thanks to those who know what is best for us, if I am suffering, and it looks like the suffering will go on for years even, I will get to do that suffering as long as it takes.

Pete

Jack
01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
MY condolences.

Karried
01-04-2006, 10:49 AM
A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

mranderson
01-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Karrie: I am literally in tears as I read that prayer. It is a great comfort to me at this time. I am having a formal funeral for Holly and will either read it or have it read.

Thank you. It has been three days, and my heart is still empty and tears run down my face because I miss my little boo bear.

Thank you with all my heart.

Karried
01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
I know how hard it is... give it some time .. I had to put down a few of my 'babies' and I thought my heart would never heal. But it did in time.. and yours will too.

Curt
01-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Loosing a pet is one of the hardest ordeals to ever have to go through, I guess because no matter what happens they always seem to love you, that cannot be said for humans.