View Full Version : Retail - Java Hut?

Karried
01-02-2006, 11:07 AM
If there is a way to incorporate a few nicely done, brick enclosed walk-up Gourmet Coffee shops downtown, they would make a killing.

We had drive through or walk up Java Huts all over the Bay Area and lines were always filled in the am and in the evening..

I couldn't help but notice again that there was nothing to BUY downtown at Opening Night! I'll bet with over 100K people walking around in somewhat chilly weather, sales of Hot chocolate and coffee and pastries, snacks ( popcorn, nachos etc) would have been off the charts. Did anyone else notice items for sale?

Why can't we have kiosks or temporary sale permits to offer items for sale to take advantage of the downtown crowds? The only thing I ever see offered for sale temporarily is at the beer stations... where are the souvenirs, ice cream stands, local bands offering CDs for sale, clothing - even street performers would have been cool to see, we need something other than food and beer to keep the interest going while walking around in Bricktown. I know we had Opening night but there were so many people walking around ( almost aimlessly, waiting for the fireworks - it was fun to people watch but I was aware that we don't have much to offer in the retail area ).

When I think of cities like San Francisco and Monterey, it's amazing what they offer and sell to tourists and visitors - people walk around all night buying clam chowder in french bread bowls, food galore, souvenir shells, music and toys ... It is such a lost opportunity... why can't people set up even a table and offer items for sale, even Hornets merchandise would have sold like crazy.

It's frustrating that we don't have retail downtown... how can we make that happen? Any ideas of how to get the word out that we need more retail to encourage tourism and repeat visitors? Thoughts?

Nuclear_2525
01-02-2006, 01:12 PM
I agree completely. This is definitely something that OKC needs to get going before the Big 12 tournament. Imagine how much money temporary vendors could make downtown during that week!

Nuclear_2525
01-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Also, on the coffee thing, is there not a Starbucks or anything in Bricktown? When I was down there over Christmas, we couldn't find a good coffee place

Luke
01-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Starbucks is going in Bricktown. Don't know when... but I think it will go in that building that will be just north of the movie theater on the canal.

John
01-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Also, on the coffee thing, is there not a Starbucks or anything in Bricktown? When I was down there over Christmas, we couldn't find a good coffee place

I don't know if its still in business, but there is a small coffee place just south of CityWalk.

I think if Java Dave's should set up a smaller location in Bricktown if they want to compete with Starbucks for Bricktown's coffee dollar.

John
01-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Nonna's sells coffee/cappucino at their walkup window.

Luke
01-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Uncommon Grounds is the one by CityWalk. I don't like it though. I've not tried Nonna's coffee. I look forward to Starbucks though. :)

BDP
01-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Ouch! Dissing two locals in favor of the mega-chain.

But I don't drink coffee, so I being completely superficial here. :)

Luke
01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
I haven't tried Nonna's. I was just dissing Uncommon Grounds. To my tongue, however, Starbucks is the best!

Patrick
01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Yeah, when it comes to coffee, Starbucks can't be beat. Unfortunately, there isn't much of a choice there. I suppose we could explore opening a Java Dave's in Bricktown, but they already have a location downtown on 10th St.

jbrown84
01-04-2006, 01:00 PM
I walked all over downtown yesterday taking pictures and discovered a lot of things I never noticed. Like for example there are tons of little local delis and convenience stores and even a few coffee shops tucked in the office buildings. I don't know their nighttime hours, but it would be nice if we could get to where there are more little places like that open at night, and in Bricktown especially. Still can't believe there's no Starbucks in Bricktown yet.

BG918
01-05-2006, 08:48 PM
I like Uncommon Grounds, the last time I went it was warm out and I got one of their iced mochas with raspberry and it was really good. I always thought another one of these in the Arts District near the museum and civic center would do well. A Starbucks that stays open late at the bottom of one of the office towers by the Sheraton and Skirvin would do well too with hotel guests. Isn't there a coffee shop in the downtown library?

Karried
01-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Guys, let's all invest in an Internet/Bookstore Coffee Shop downtown - you know we'd make a killing...

My first coffee concoction? Well, in celebration of the Hornet's traffic that will make our endeavor a huge success - Hornet's Hazelnut Delight with an addition of Nutmeg, Brandy and Amaretto ( NBA ) LOL - I think we'll need a liquor license!

Chris Paul Cappucino anyone?

The Old Downtown Guy
01-06-2006, 12:13 PM
It would be nice to be able to walk up and buy a good cup of coffee or ice cream cone from a street cart or take a few minutes to listen to a creative musician on a corner. Street vendors/entertainers absolutely add a lot to urban street life. About the only one right in downtown is the hot dog guy in Couch Park at Robinson, but I think that the cold weather has sent him packing. There is a truck with a walk up window that parks each weekday morning on the North side of the new downtown Bus Transfer Center at 5th and Hudson, but that doesn't really count in my book.

One problem is City Ordinances that make it difficult and expensive to get street vending/entertaining permits. A few years ago, as the canal was nearing completion, there was lots of talk about street vendors/entertainers and there was at least one street cart hotdog operation, but it didn't last. There is also the fear of homeless dudes playing kazoos or tap dancing just to be able to panhandle on the sidewalks. The Bricktown Association and/or Jim Brewer persuaded City Council to enact anti-street vendor/street-performer ordinances to protect the rent paying food operations. Which may seem like a good idea if you own store front property, but in the long run it just restricts the dynamic quality of the "Street". City Council may have made some changes, but it wouldn't hutr to revisit the issue and come up with a way to encourage rather than discourage street vending/entertaining opportunities.

John
01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm guessing the city put a stop to the fire breather that would hang out around the Ford Center before/after games.

We need more streetlife.

Maybe the 'Will Rogers' statue guy could hang out outside the Ford Center, too. He makes a killing wherever he is.