View Full Version : Abandoning your baby

Jack
12-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Recently, a baby was left at Norman Regional Hospital, abandoned. It was just left on a bench, not with anyone. The parents were protected by the law, since you can now abandon a baby at a hospital, but you're supposed leave the baby with a staff member of the hospital. Do you think the parents should be in the hot seat?

sweetdaisy
12-29-2005, 04:27 PM
No. It would be better if they had passed the child along to the appropriate staff member, however I commend them for facing the reality that they would not be appropriate parents.

Karried
12-29-2005, 04:27 PM
As much as I want to say that they should be charged, the baby could have easily rolled off or died from exposure, I have to say that at least they did leave the baby at the hospital so someone would find the baby and get it the care it needed.

When you think of how many people are heartbroken because they can't have a baby.. ~sigh~ it's so sad that adoption isn't a more popular option for people.

kellekokid
12-30-2005, 12:33 AM
from my knowledge they weren't able to identify the person(s) who left the baby, from the hospital video, so therefore can't do anything to the parent(s).

sweetdaisy
12-30-2005, 07:49 AM
When you think about all the babies who are unwanted and neglected, or thrown in dumpsters to die, why would they prosecute anyone who took their child to the appropriate place? Granted, the baby shouldn've been given to a staff member, but who knows what kind of paperwork, etc. would have to be completed for a mother to relinquish control of the child. The parent(s) of this child were likely attempting to sidestep any additional pain that may have been involved in giving up the baby. In addition, if the parent(s) were minors, they may have been trying to avoid being "discovered" by anyone with authority.

They got the child to a safe place, so I think they did the right thing...it wasn't ideal, but no one knows the situation.

What about the case a couple months ago with the woman who claimed she found the baby on the side of the road and took it in? They were prosecuting her, last I'd heard. She lied about the baby being hers, but what difference should that make? She was trying to give the baby to the appropriate people and to avoid dealing with the potential "fallout" of giving the baby up.

Sounds like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation to me...

Faith
12-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Recently, a baby was left at Norman Regional Hospital, abandoned. It was just left on a bench, not with anyone. The parents were protected by the law, since you can now abandon a baby at a hospital, but you're supposed leave the baby with a staff member of the hospital. Do you think the parents should be in the hot seat?

I don't think the parents should be prosecuted at all. Like a previous post listed this option prevents babies being left in dumpsters, etc if the parents have assurance that they won't be prosecuted. I do wish the parents would be able to come forth and give some sort of medical history to the authorities confidentially.

Curt
12-30-2005, 08:19 AM
As much as I want to say that they should be charged, the baby could have easily rolled off or died from exposure, I have to say that at least they did leave the baby at the hospital so someone would find the baby and get it the care it needed.

When you think of how many people are heartbroken because they can't have a baby.. ~sigh~ it's so sad that adoption isn't a more popular option for people.
One of the biggest things about adoption that really bothers me is people who seek children overseas to adopt them and bring them here,when we have so many children here already that need a good home.

sweetdaisy
12-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Do you know why people tend to adopt from overseas? Because it's an easier process. Here in the U.S. they make it so difficult for parents to adopt that they end up just going overseas. In addition, it's easier for singles and homosexual couples who want to adopt. If you want to be annoyed, be annoyed with the adoption process in the U.S., not the people who want to raise a child.

Curt
12-30-2005, 08:44 AM
I had no idea it was harder to adopt an American baby than an overseas baby...my bad.